HR Managers and business owners research

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Thread starter #1
I am trying to obtain market research on HR managers and business owners in order to determine how to engage them b2b.
  • demographics
  • pain points/wants/needs
  • values
  • what they like
  • what they don't like
  • what their criteria's are for selecting a vendor
  • etc
I have found some reports on line but they start at around $1,000 per report, so I'm here to ask the group if we can get a list going of some known insights or observations on these people. Has anyone paid for a marketing report and if so did you find it worth the money?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
I dont have any insights about HR; but, can share my thoughts about studies...

I've seen an economic report about projected recession, which is estimated to be the end of 2019 and begining of 2020.
Based on data set presented, I have high confidence about its validity; so, it does affect my decision making process.

I know of a successful entrepenure who spends upwards of $5,000 for a study to minimize his risk. This ranges from projected rent tenants in an area to garage size preferences.

If the study has content that is going to influence how you proceed and reduce your risk or maximize your revenue; then yes, it is worth it. So, for this to be useful you need to have a specific question in mind so that you can act on the result from the study.
Otherwise, the report is not worth it.

These expensive reports (thousands of dollars) you refer to can sometimes be accessed via free university databases. One guerilla tactic if you are graduate of a university they sometimes offer access to these reports and databases for free if you are alumni.

Don't ignore free government databases and surveys. There may be nuggets of insights, buried in them.

Also, find out who the biggest companies are in the HR industry and if they are publicly traded there annual reports often provide additional content /info concerning the industry and their clients and sometimes that leads to additional resources.

Whitepapers done by HR firms or and small business associations and think tanks may be useful as well. In other words, they may have done exactly what you are looking for already within the whitepapers they publish.

Often times these ridiculous expensive reports you refer are created by the research
firms by guessing based on data from big companies and public free databases or sources combined with actual interviews from industry insiders. This and their experience forms the basis for these expensive reports.

Check with trade associations that follow the HR industry. They can also lead you to research data and additional sources.

Believe it or not, I have been totally disgusted with how expensive these reports are and have even considered starting a business doing similar more simplistic reports that are more affordable for
basic market research for the small business owner.

To your continued success on the next level.
Daryl
Nexlevelbusiness.com

Also I have never paid for these. I use one or a combination of the resources I indicated, the main one being the university databases. Also if you come across "dated" reports, (say more than 3 years old) don't discount them until you have confirmed the data given is way off from a year ago. Remember, you are trying to strategize and the data may not be perfect but may give you the direction of a decision or approach versus having no data/research at all.

One other resource I just remembered,

Also, search for free business plans, that some people put on the internet relevant to your topic or type of business. The business plan will have a wealth of industry information as you know. You just have to confirm that data makes sense with other industry highlights you find from other sources.

To your continued success on the next level.
Daryl
Nexlevelbusiness.com

I spent a career in HR and it is a tough thing to engage one. Depending on the company, they ore not a decision maker and in many more, they are not an influencer. This is obviously not the case with all companies, but many I have seen.

Keep in mind, you have to talk ROI to get anywhere. Remember, HR is not a revenue center, it is an expense. At least that is the view of the C Suite. You have to show a demonstrable increase in revenue or decrease in expense.

I would encourage you to keep this in mind as you proceed.

Hope it helps