sleeksilky

This might seem like a very general question but one I'm always wondering about. Where do most people who decide to start a business get the knowledge on how to do it. Specifically all the logistical stuff like knowing if you need to register certain things or what licences or permits to obtain, who to contact for equipment and designing interiors if you have a brick and mortar business. All these things dont seem like theyre just common knowledge and yet people start businesses for the first time constantly.

So for anyone who has their own business or ever had one, can you please explain in your personal situation where and how you learned all the things initially. I always assumed school doesnt exactly teach you any of these step by step processes to do that, so im curious what everyone did or where they got their knowledge on how to do it from. If possible mention what type of business it was and maybe a small explanation of the steps you took personally to find out exactly what you need to do step by step to get it running or learning all the aspects of starting it from the ground up.

Dora Wi

MVP
It's certainly not easy. Personally I attended a course that was designed to help young people with how to build a business (it was a local opportunity back when I was in school). It didn't really teach us the logistical and legal stuff though, it was mostly about marketing, how to make a business plan, things like that. But I got to know lots of people there and that was when I realized that a lot depends on your connections. For a lot of things you might need outside help such as consulting a lawyer or hiring an accountant, but if you know a few people who can give you advice if you get stuck or have doubts, that's a great help.

As for permits, licenses, etc, a lot of that is googling stuff and calling government and tax office information lines, to be honest :D

JooShiu

In my opinion, the most important thing is have a good business plan, knowledge about your space and personal fortitude. The legal stuff is not that difficult. You can find almost all the information online or hire someone to do it fairly cheap and easily. This includes new business entity formations and accounting/taxes. I have never started a business but do have advanced degrees in law and public administration.

One resource I can tell you about is the small business administration. I never been involved with them but I know almost every city or county in America has an organization like that to support small business growth. This is because small business are still the backbone of the economy and its national policy to encourage their growth. They offer courses and other kinds of help. See Small Business Administration

Bizwarriors is also an amazing resource with well-organized and logical information about every major step. Lastly, if you are a academic type like me, there are many great books, online courses on youtube and educational platforms and other free educational material online that will walk you through the steps. Getting a degree in business management really is not necessary in my opinion. Many of these online podcast offer great information from other entrepreneurs and some offer actual face to face mentorships. Of course, a lot of them are not so good or scams, so do your homework first.

JerryBuchanan

I was always into finding and developing new ways of giving people a possibility of getting a proper education via non-traditional approach. That's when i decided it's time for launching my own online school. Since i've been a teacher for nearly a decade, i know everything inside out. But I always felt that there's a room for improvement in terms of the educational system we do have now. And it's a big thing to do - to give people an opportunity to choose among the educational methodics.

But at that point I had no clue how to make convert it into real life. That's when a pal of mine gave me a clue to check out EVERCODE LAB - a group of professionals, which develop and create systems built for educational sphere in terms of improving the quality and level of the study process via modern technologies and effective assessment solutions. Thanx to these guys, I appreciate all of the efforts they've put into it!

P.S. Don't be afraid to search for assistance - it's the main advice.

Daniel.B

In my opinion, you learn from the mistakes of others and is it's free, or you face the challenges that, and is more expensive. That's the only way you can learn.

There is no manual for any business in the world, from a to z.

You act on challenges, solve them and move on. In the meantime, you can learn and from the experience of others...

You can find the main steps for the beginning on the whole internet, the essence is in practice.

To be safe, you can choose a franchise. It has a manual from a to z. But also in the franchisee, if you don't do everything written in the manual, you can encounter problems.

Izabel

Sometimes you just get inspired. You have an idea for a business and you start with what you know from university, school, courses, and the internet. After that, you learn from your mistakes and if you don't, you may not succeed.
Meanwhile, you learn from everyone and everywhere you can.

Bingo Ad Copy

This might seem like a very general question but one I'm always wondering about. Where do most people who decide to start a business get the knowledge on how to do it. Specifically all the logistical stuff like knowing if you need to register certain things or what licences or permits to obtain, who to contact for equipment and designing interiors if you have a brick and mortar business. All these things dont seem like theyre just common knowledge and yet people start businesses for the first time constantly.

So for anyone who has their own business or ever had one, can you please explain in your personal situation where and how you learned all the things initially. I always assumed school doesnt exactly teach you any of these step by step processes to do that, so im curious what everyone did or where they got their knowledge on how to do it from. If possible mention what type of business it was and maybe a small explanation of the steps you took personally to find out exactly what you need to do step by step to get it running or learning all the aspects of starting it from the ground up.
Ultimately between YouTube and books, that's everything. There's a great method for success in any field in life, and that's to study what works. I spend a good amount of time following successful entrepreneurs in the space im in or similar and mostly learn everything I need from that. Getting information is a step in itself, so if you're building a business there may just be times when you need more information, and that's fine.

This is essentially the steps I took for selling online products

Read relevant books, find successful entrepreneurs in the space doing it, do what they did with my own stuff.

This is the strategy. Study what works.

SofiaSchulz

Hi,
In my opinion, first it's important to choose a business school or a general business course, that allow you to understand the main concepts and topics about economics and entrepreneurship. Secondly, it's fundamental to improve personal skills and knowledge, such as work for other companies and learn from experienced people. And finally, in my opinion, it's full of courses and materials on the internet that can help you to understand which are the main steps to follow in order to open your own business.

Julia Sta Romana

Top Contributor
Top Poster Of Month
I actually took a course on it. The good thing about that course is it also addressed belief and personality traits that can help me overcome my fears about starting a business. I'm very risk averse. The course taught me how to make calculated risks. It helped me identify business ideas that would work with my personality.

Hi sleeksilky, that's fabulous that you are open to learning how other entrepreneurs started :coffee

Here's my timeline with things 2 consider:
  1. If you have a natural ability, talent, skills, knowledge, this will be your impetus for starting ur biz
  2. If you don't possess #1, what industry do you have a passion for? Can you work in that industry and gain skills, contacts, and observe how they conduct biz? Sometimes, the best way to become an entrepreneur is by observation and watching how other successful entrepreneurs work
  3. Prior to starting my 1st biz, I did #2. During my Biz/Computer education, I volunteered to help other students with their programming. Realized that I love helping students. Got my 1st Technical training job at a Fortune 500 company. I was so natural that I got promoted fast - eventually, I was managing other Trainers and travelling. After 6 months I burned out and got my 2nd job after graduation with a computer company that wanted to start their own tech. ed. division. My accountant said, "Why are you working?" I replied, "I love it and it's not work!" He then said, "With the amount of money you are making, you should start your own biz" ... sometimes we need others 2 recognize our skills and give us the confidence to jump the chasm. I jumped and started my own Tech Training Centre downtown Toronto
  4. Coz of working in the field, I gained a ton of experience and saw how I would/wouldn't run my technical training centre.
  5. When the Internet was emerging in the biz world mid-late 1990's, I investigated to see how technical training can benefit
  6. Decided to contact existing clients, Ministries, Fortune 1000, SMB and pitch them to setup their online presence. Since I had a strong networking background, I researched how to s/u hosting, website and domain registration. Then jumped in at the beginning of the Internet to help migrate offline companies to the online world - by having the working knowledge, I was able to look at new opportunities and create my 2nd biz, helping companies leverage the internet for their offline biz
  7. With a few decades of off/online biz experience, gotta say #2 above was how I got started and that's when my natural skills emerged
With so much entrepreneurial skills under my belt, I'm actually in the process of launching a Beta Digital Entrepreneurial 2.0 Hands-on Course to start peeps from the ground level, to help them discover their passion, to see if there's market demand for their idea, and take them through the steps from ideation, testing hypothesis (is your biz idea in demand?), proof of concept (are people looking for your product/service?), how to get started with MVP (Minimum Viable Product), once you see success, scale up.

I don't believe in creating something coz you LOVE it, there's an art and science behind creating a biz and tis something we can't get from formal education, rather, we need to immerse ourselves into the process, test it out, is it a sound biz model, if yes, scale, if not, iterate.

Hope the above helps you?

Cheers, Z'da

TMAP

Hi, Friends in this thread,

Interesting insights by all. In fact, I am in the business of helping small to mid-size manufacturers and brand owners establish businesses online. I have not yet advised setting up a brick and mortar business and I would not recommend that at this stage( of course it depends on your product). I have one mantra -nothing is difficult-it just requires time and money. If you have ample time and less money- do everything yourself and if you have ample money and less time hire someone to do it for you. However, I believe everyone at some time or the other everyone requires a helping hand and an accountability coach- to keep you on track. I will be glad to chat and give you more insights if required.
Brgds
TM

Top Bottom