• The forum topics have been reorganized and expanded to make it more comprehensive and easier to navigate. Let us know what you think!

How to you keep your work hours realistic?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

ChrisM

I am only a part time entrepreneur in the sense that I sell items on etsy but I also work a part time 9-5 job. I find that I spend A LOT of my time working on my own business more than anything else.

I don't have a wife or kids, don't even have a girlfriend so I spend a lot of my time working. I struggle to actually stop and spend time with family and friends. My sister sat me down and said that I need to focus on finding someone and not just work. I am closing in on 30 after all.

So how does everyone do it here? How do you balance YOU/family time with work?

djbaxter

Administrator
Your sister is right. You need more than just work.

But you are going to have to make that a priority as well - add it to your to do list. Otherwise, work will eat up all your spare time.

It's like exercising: If you don't schedule it, it will never happen.

DakotaJ19

You know what they say about all work and no play :) I try to keep a schedule and even though it's hard sometimes you have to schedule in time for yourself.

Jessica A.

I am only a part time entrepreneur in the sense that I sell items on etsy but I also work a part time 9-5 job. I find that I spend A LOT of my time working on my own business more than anything else.

I don't have a wife or kids, don't even have a girlfriend so I spend a lot of my time working. I struggle to actually stop and spend time with family and friends. My sister sat me down and said that I need to focus on finding someone and not just work. I am closing in on 30 after all.

So how does everyone do it here? How do you balance YOU/family time with work?

Your sister is absolutely right. You can't just work until you drop dead. You have to know when to stop and when to do other meaningful things. Learn to balance work, fun and leisure as well as family time. A family is all you've got. Have someone you can turn to in difficult times and it doesn't have to be blood related all the time. Spend some time with other people. Be more sociable. Live a purposeful life :)

Peyton White

I am only a part time entrepreneur in the sense that I sell items on etsy but I also work a part time 9-5 job. I find that I spend A LOT of my time working on my own business more than anything else.I don't have a wife or kids, don't even have a girlfriend so I spend a lot of my time working. I struggle to actually stop and spend time with family and friends.
Having no time to enjoy life other than work can be stressful, and soon anxiety will get to you. Perhaps you can start by emptying your weekend schedule, find or revisit a hobby. Have dinner with family. Then you can work weekdays. How about that? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Edvin

MVP
Respectfully, I must say that no one answered Chris' question...
How do you balance YOU/family time with work?
I'm far from having a balanced life and I don't know if anyone can claim that they have a balanced life; but, I will share the areas of my life that I think are doing okay. I hope you won't ask about my shortcomings because I would have to write several volumes of books.

I'm vested in my children, which is the driving force in me looking into opening a tutoring business.
I enrolled my oldest son is in boyscouts in hope of one day he becoming an eagle scout. As a paranode parent I attended all scouting and camping activities. It didn't take long before I start helping-out and in return it lead to personal growth. For example, I became wilderness-first-aide/CPR certified, became a lifeguard and learned to swim a mile, learned how to operate a motor boat to take scouts tubing, etc. All of this has happened within the past 18 months. Incidentally, because of boyscout activity, both my sons and I will be going camping this weekend.

My youngest son is 7 and tells me that I work too much and don't play with him. So, I make it a point to take him to the park on the weekends when I can. On several occasions I negotiated and forced him to ride his bicycle to the park (while I run next to him) because I removed the training wheels; nevertheless, I'm imprinting into his memory (hopefully good memories). Sometimes, I take the soccer ball and kick the ball around with him; because if I don't do it, he will stay inside watching videos on ipad.

I also hold a black-belt in martial arts; martial arts is no longer a priority for me; but, I would like my kids to reach for this as well. My wife has been taking both of our kids to karate; but, I recently started taking my 14 year old to the adult class so that I can share in his journey. Admittedly, we've slowed down recently due to his extra homework.

Now that I am embarking on entrepreneurial activity, I engage with my oldest son in discussion; he will have an opportunity to reflect on my success/failure.

Do to our value systems my strategy would not work for you even if you had kids.
What is important is to have a passion about something and wanting to make a difference.
In my case, my children were my passion, and I wanted to make scouting experience great for all the kids. That lead to personal growth and building new relationships.

What are you passionate about? What knowledge do you posses that can help someone in your community?
Perhaps you can try to help in Small Business Association (SBA) to help others like me who are trying to turn a new chapter in their life. How about getting involved in women's haven who need help to escape abusive environment.

You will be surprised how much growth you will undergo and the relationship you make when you try to help others...

Last edited:

Gin

I would pull out a day planner and fill it up with the 'what I do now' schedule. Take a break. Go back to it after a few days and see where you can make changes. Sometimes a 'visual' of your activities can give you insight to where you can learn to take a break and add new activities. We got to have some pleasant leisure time in our life. Go ahead, find yours.

Jrob

The first thing to do is to plan and to become better organized. Have others in your business do things you previously did. This is good besides giving you more time, what happens to your business if you have a major health issue or in an accident. Trust me, I have known too many business owners in good health that this has happened to.

Latest posts