BrianWiz

In terms of starting your own business be it online or not, how long did it take from the time you started working on it to the point of opening it to the public? I am curious as the frames seem to be so different from what I read. I am not sure how long it will take me.

djbaxter

Administrator
Sometimes a few days. Sometimes years. :)

It depends on a lot of factors: need to research, need to learn new skills, finances, time, what else you have going on in your life, commitments to other existing projects, etc., etc.

If you are dedicated and working hard for you business idea it does not take much time to start a business. For me it took 3 months from idea to start of business. I had finance and related sources so it went fast.

It can take from 1 week till few years. I think it depends on the business, the idea, business industry, etc. For example, a new start up that supplies services that lack demand can take few years of investors money to finally make it profitable. (or not)

It depends what type of business you are doing.

It took me over 5 months to open my local restaurant. I decided to dedicate at least one month to research and planning, otherwise, it'd take longer.

The most difficult part wasn't inventories or supplies, or even location selection. Hiring staff took me almost a month. I didn't think it will be that difficult so I didn't give it much weight and considered it a secondary thing.

I spent a lot of time on design work as well: interior design, logo, menu and brochures.

Anyway, 5 months is only enough if you'll be as hardworking as dedicated as me. In another case, it can take longer.

TribeDoor

We started an internet biz. Took about a year to build from the ground up, but the flexibility that comes from doing something from scratch is well worth it. Time management and perseverance is key.

Starting my enterprise was a logical extension of the work I had been doing as an individual contractor, so the transition seemed easy enough.

What I had to learn very quickly was the business planning, marketing and competitive analysis aspects of operating an enterprise, as opposed to negotiating single person efforts. Industry teaming, having others work for me and dealing as a company instead of a person were all challenges.

It took me 6 months working in parallel for another small enterprise before I felt comfortable to launch.

I reached out to some experience mentors to get guidance and education in the areas I was lacking - my business then took off.

Edvin

MVP
As everyone stated, it depends.
I'm about to start my venture, which should take about eight months.
For the past month I've been talking to franchisers as well as franchise owners to see if that is the direction I want to go. At the same time I'm researching what it would mean to do it myself.
To maximize my effort, I will open-up during the peak of the season (tip, every business has one). This puts me about 6-8 months away, which is about enough time for me get my ducks in the row.I am currently employed and work; so, I need to manage this activity while managing family and work.
I'm contemplating about providing weekly status update on this forum; but, am a little gun-shy about being able to post something here regularly.

tess dvow

i agree with what everyone said it depends on what industry you're launching your business and what are your consumer's requirements. but it's a good practice to try to balance out your time and budget as these two are the biggest challenges for all entrepreneurs.

As everyone stated, it depends.
I'm about to start my venture, which should take about eight months.
For the past month I've been talking to franchisers as well as franchise owners to see if that is the direction I want to go. At the same time I'm researching what it would mean to do it myself.
To maximize my effort, I will open-up during the peak of the season (tip, every business has one). This puts me about 6-8 months away, which is about enough time for me get my ducks in the row.I am currently employed and work; so, I need to manage this activity while managing family and work.
I'm contemplating about providing weekly status update on this forum; but, am a little gun-shy about being able to post something here regularly.
Thank you for sharing such helpful info

Top Bottom