How do YOU do it? Pushing forward vs. getting stuck in a frenzy...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Leigh Steele

Both professionally and personally, how do you capitalize on momentum instead of getting lost in the maze of things outside of your control?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and tips. :)

Lisa B

Literally my daily struggle. I tell myself to take it one day at a time. And people keep saying well how do you tackle eating an elephant? (weird analogy, but... ok). But I feel like I have to wake up earlier, go to bed later, write reminders in my sleep, and it is all akin to trying to keep my head above water.

People say pay someone for social media or for bookkeeping, etc. - but no budget...

I have been trying to give much more focus to marketing channels for my business - in itself it is a full time job on top of 7 days a week working as HR, accounting, etc.

Others say- you need to do yoga, meditate, do something fun, work out... when??? lol I had a 4 day momentum going but I got even more backed up!

Ugh! Sorry- I am no help at all, lol!!! Good luck with that sister!!!

Leigh Steele

Lisa B Fist bump to you for doing the hustle and grind, even when it's hard. I hear you!

I love your tips, especially about taking care of your body. Sleep is SO vital. Tell me - how do you write reminders in your sleep? Haha. I need to know this technique.

• What helps me to to remember the concept of the "Circle of Control/Influence/Concern", which is basically a primer for helping guide how and where we give our time and energy.
  • Also, alternate nostril breathing. Ha! Sounds crazy but it helps bring a sense of calm and lessens anxiety almost instantly.
  • As for you, I know the hardships of budgeting, but have you looked into perhaps hiring a freelancer from Upwork to assist you? That's where I got my freelance start and it connected me to awesome opportunities
  • and clients.
circle-of-influence-header-660x330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Toren

Administrator
Leigh Steele Great question and I enjoyed your circle of influence analogy as well (Oh, and I also have done the alternate nostril breathing in the past, thanks for the reminder to try that again for a relaxation technique). I always feel better when I stay focused and in my own lane so I don't pay attention to the outside noise. This always enables me to tackle more on my own. I am constantly prioritizing what I put at the top of the list. I also think it's important to break your workload down into smaller more digestible nuggets. However, staying focused is an ongoing challenge. It seems the bigger your company gets, the more opportunities arise which sometimes has you taking your eye off the prize again. That helps me methodically sort through everything that's on my plate. Lisa B I admire your determination and work ethic. It's also important to remind yourself Lisa B that you also need to take care of yourself too. I'm constantly reminding myself that i'm not going to be doing much if i'm fully burnt out, so find that time in the day to recharge. If you are into meditation, there are a couple of great apps (Calm and Headspace) that i've enjoyed.

Lisa B

Thank you Adam! Yes, I am trying to remember. It is challenging right now, but I have downloaded yoga and meditation apps. And I do a bit of deep breathing before bed. I used to be an artist and I keep saying I will get back to painting... tomorrow!

Lisa B

Leigh, I literally wake up remember things I need to do that I should write down. I keep a notebook and write things as they happen, are arranged or due, but every now and again I recall something of importance (usually the personal stuff I neglect while focusing on business) and I am startled out of sleep!

I will be sure to check out Upstart! Thank you!

djbaxter

Administrator
Leigh, I literally wake up remember things I need to do that I should write down. I keep a notebook and write things as they happen, are arranged or due, but every now and again I recall something of importance (usually the personal stuff I neglect while focusing on business) and I am startled out of sleep!
I do that too. But I have my iPhone on the bedside table so I just send myself a quick note via email and go back to sleep. :)

Lisa B

djbaxter Guess what- I have a to-do app on my phone, but I started ignoring all the notifications! I must do better!

djbaxter

Administrator
djbaxter Guess what- I have a to-do app on my phone, but I started ignoring all the notifications! I must do better!
Yeah that didn't work for me either.

But if I send an email to my main business account, then when I get to my desktop with coffee in the morning, there is my reminder waiting for me right where I have my focus.

Leigh Steele

Thank you all for such great tips! I love seeing how other people manage the influx of tasks and priorities.
djbaxter the ol' email trick is a tried and true one!
Lisa B I love that you awaken and jot down important notes and are STILL able to fall back asleep. WIN!
Adam Toren YES to breaking down workload. I think that's key in not feeling as overwhelmed, or at least lessening the overwhelm. That's definitely one of your talents.

djbaxter

Administrator
Yes Leigh - if I do not write it down (purge) I would never get back to sleep. Continuous loop will play in my head! :)
That's interesting.

I have had people with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) say something similar: Being able to state the thoughts and worries out loud to another person helps them to get rid of the continuously cycling thoughts in their head.

ckyap

Both professionally and personally, how do you capitalize on momentum instead of getting lost in the maze of things outside of your control?
Frankly I use the I Ching whenever things get confusing. I'm able to read hexagrams but am a terrible procrastinator. I guess success is its own momentum. Finding it is plain hard work!

VirtualGlobalPhone

Leigh Steele , Three best things

1. Surround yourself with better environment (Place of work, home, family and friends).
2. Self Discipline.
3. And choices we are aware.