How Can Startups Immediately Gain Media Coverage?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:7)

SkyWriting

MerleneNMS Yes but small businesses often don't have employees or don't have employees to spare or don't have employees with the necessary skills to do what you suggest. Many small businesses, especially when they are first starting up, operate on very tight budgets.

What would you advise in such cases?
Focus on direct response marketing to get your income up. Or pay direct marketers to bring you customers. Or make alliances with other compatible businesses that already have a list.

twinkle

Hello everyone! I'm new, so please be gentle.;)

I would assume that the media coverage is for the business to grow. Why not use social media? I believe MerleneNMS mentioned this already, I just wanted to expand on it.

It's undeniable that social media now has a wider reach than traditional media. And startups with tight budgets could do this by themselves if they really want to.

One way of doing this is by looking for influencers in their community. They can give influencers samples of their products/services in exchange for advertising their business. Since the influencers are within their community, they can be sure to reach a lot of potential customers.:thumbsup

djbaxter

Administrator
Hello everyone! I'm new, so please be gentle.;)

I would assume that the media coverage is for the business to grow. Why not use social media? I believe MerleneNMS mentioned this already, I just wanted to expand on it.

It's undeniable that social media now has a wider reach than traditional media. And startups with tight budgets could do this by themselves if they really want to.

One way of doing this is by looking for influencers in their community. They can give influencers samples of their products/services in exchange for advertising their business. Since the influencers are within their community, they can be sure to reach a lot of potential customers.:thumbsup
Exactly! Much more manageable and much cheaper for small business startups.

See

But also keep these in mind:

And welcome to BizWarriors twinkle :)

SkyWriting

There are several methods to gain positive media exposure, and here are some of them.

1. Engage with Individual Journalists
2. Send a Concise Email Pitch
3. Dominate Social Media Through Powerful Content Marketing Campaign
4. Share the Business’ Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Story
5. Produce Exclusive Content

These are great options for a lone entrepreneur because they can do all the work themselves. This is how Gary Vaynerchuk made a name for himself with no additional staff by posting in forums about wine. His net worth is over 100 million now.

It's much more efficient for the business owner to do all the social media work because they have the knowledge and passion for their market that hired staff can't match. On the internet, quality and passionate communication will get shared, but hired promoters messages just fall flat. If a message gets shared an average of more than one time, then it has the potential to grow virally. But lame posts just fizzle out. The secret to social media promotion is to be knowledgeable in your area and excited about sharing!

Last edited:

SkyWriting

MerleneNMS Yes but small businesses often don't have employees or don't have employees to spare or don't have employees with the necessary skills to do what you suggest. Many small businesses, especially when they are first starting up, operate on very tight budgets. What would you advise in such cases?
Tight budgets are caused by not focusing on sales and marketing. I don't mind you objecting to logic, but what causes people to call or show up at the front door? Sales and Marketing. "Sales" is when your customer is considering opening their wallet due to your offer. "Marketing" is the broader communication that prepares the customer and predisposes them to do business with you.

All of these are nearly free marketing methods.

Additionally producing Facebook Live video and creating postcasts from the video is very low cost. The video can also be offered on ones website as can the podcasts.
Practice makes better videos and creates fans.

VirtualGlobalPhone

SkyWriting , Is it not funny that we engage in our own world of intellectual so much that we cross the line reality!!

The best way for you to get this is to go to a nearest retail outlet like a repair shop/boutique/grocery/saloon etc

The media, Marketing, and advertising houses need to innovate something which works like any other. Just think about it practically.

djbaxter

Administrator
"Quality advice" doesn't need to be aggressive or condescending or close-minded.

No one learns by talking or talking over someone else, nor by pushing a single point of view even where objectively that point of view may not fit the circumstances.

One learns by listening to other viewpoints.

SkyWriting

"Quality advice" doesn't need to be aggressive or condescending or close-minded.

No one learns by talking or talking over someone else, nor by pushing a single point of view even where objectively that point of view may not fit the circumstances.

One learns by listening to other viewpoints.
I have heard that listening to others viewpoints is good!
I like that advice.

SkyWriting

There are several methods to gain positive media exposure, and here are some of them.

Here are three steps that fit with those listed efforts:

one.pngSINGLE TARGET MARKET
Narrow your attention and focus on ONE target market (at a time).
two.pngCOMPEL PROSPECTS TO CALL
Use direct response offers to compel your prospects to call you.
three.pngEDUCATE AND MOTIVATE
Patiently and systematically educate and motivate prospects to call you (when they’re ready).

SkyWriting

I hope you are as aggressive in your commitment to clients after they signup.

Best wishes.
Naturally. Having the supplier for my online business go broke due to poor business decisions has left a lasting impression on me. I rarely consider a client to be a mentor.
The most aggravating advice I've read is "Gosh! I don't know how to help you with that. Maybe you should sponsor a local sports team or give away popcorn"

Last edited: