1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can a teenager like me start a online business?

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Delis, Sep 30, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Delis Member

Hello to everyone who has clicked on this thread.
    I'm a 15-year-old entrepreneur and I'm seeking to start an online business.
    If you are experienced in this field, please mentor and teach me on how I can start a business.

Yaali Inventory likes this.
  2. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Welcome to BizWarriors, @Delis. :)

Please note that you will need to ask specific questions in order to get useful replies. Try reading some of the threads in the Starting Your Business forum here, or in Planning Your Business. That may help you to narrow down what you want to ask the forum community.

3. Delis Member

I'm looking to start an online business as a teenager and I have no idea where to start.

4. djbaxter

Merged your two threads, @Delis.

See my reply above and try to narrow down your questions to receive more specific advice.

5. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member

Delis,

I first want to congratulate you on exploring entrepreneurship endeavor.
    I hope this won't dissuade you from continuing to higher education...

Online business requires some kind of website. That means a domain and a hosting solution.

This is the easy part. Just google online hosting and you will get many reasonable packages.

The support will almost walk you through creating your site for your business.

But, you are not clear about the kind of online business you want to explore?

For example, you can white-label GoDaddy with your Business Name. They will handle all the hosting, sales, support calls; all you need to do is market your branded site. As if that is the easy part!

Do you want to do commerce? I seem to recall amazon did white-labeling too; but, can't remember.

However, with a little research you can find ecommerce solutions that will white-label for you.

Or do you want to have an ecommerce and drop-ship. That is, customers buy products and your partners will fulfill the product and send with your branded name.

Do you want to buy from china (say aliexpress) and manage an inventor and sell stuff? Then you need a commerce site. Though you can get a commerce software for free (open source software), you need a managing hosting service, secure url (SSL) and you need to manage security (customer content). For this, I would suggest pay the nominal fee of a hosting solution that is managing ecommrece software; so, you only worry about business logistics.

You can also just simply sell on amazon and ebay if you access to goods.

Do you want to do affiliate marketing? That is, you bid on keywords (say on Google, Yahoo, etc) and send traffic to business and get commission for traffic that you generate. For this you would join affiliate networks like commission junction.

You can be middle man in service offerings. For example, provide website development service, and then contract out talent (engineers, designers, etc) from sourcing site like rent-a-coder, freelance, etc.

There is no shortage of online businesses; but, coming-up with a success formula is the difficult part.

At a such a young age, you need to operate with near zero expense; and you can try different things.

Fail-often and fail fast might be something you can exercise better than others.

Business 101 says that find a problem/need first and address it by providing a solution. So, you have some work to do in this area.

Good luck.

djbaxter likes this.
  6. Ciaran

Ciaran Member

I agree with, Edvin.

There's definitely no shortage of online business ideas, which is a problem in itself. Shiny-object syndrome is a real thing! :D

I'd add one more thing, though. Try to make something around something you're passionate about.

I tried to make an affiliate site around karaoke machines before. Turns out writing 2000 word posts about karaoke machines isn't fun. Who knew, eh?

djbaxter likes this.
  7. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member

I think my ultimate favorite was the milliondollarhomepage (can't add link, google it) , which I think was initiated with late teenager trying to raise money for college. He didn't like the idea of working :)

I'm not sure how I stumbled across it; but I remember when the page had only four items on it.
    A month later it had about $7,000 worth of ads!
    :eek: Five months later I found that the page was full, sold-out, and the young man made million dollars!!!

I remember laughing at the idea initially, and then crying for not implementing few months later.

djbaxter likes this.
  8. djbaxter

Yes, I remember that. The Million Dollar Homepage - Own a piece of internet history!

That's not going to be a sustainable career for anyone these days, though. That was back in the hay day when everyone was buying and selling links believing that was the way to hit the top 10 in Google.

Even then, it was a scam more than anything. It surprised me how many people fell for it. Any web page can only pass a portion of its own PageRank (PR) and the amount passed to outgoing links (including internal navigation links) is divided among the total number of outgoing links from that page.

So with a million pixels on the page, it's not hard to see that the PR boost for anyone who paid to be listed on the page was minuscule. The guy who came up with the idea successfully exploited people's ignorance on the nature of PageRank.

Kolby likes this.
  9. TommySikes

TommySikes Member

I'll just add that any business, online or not, is about solving someone's problem or somehow making their life easier and/or better.

So as you're thinking about ideas for a business, keep asking yourself "How does this make someone's life easier and/or better? What's the core problem this solves?"

Hope that helps!

HouGsp, Kolby and djbaxter like this.
  10. Gary Trifone

Gary Trifone Member

Hi, welcome!

Could you please inform if you have any specific skills?

HouGsp likes this.
  11. HouGsp Member

Unfortunately the links thing did help until the recent Panda Update on Google. Now, its much tougher to crack!

12. HouGsp Member

Or any special interests!

13. djbaxter

If you're one of a thousand outgoing links on a page, let alone several hundred thousand, that link isn't going to help at all, even back in the heyday of PageRank as the major Google ranking factor.

14. YourselfPious

YourselfPious Member

It is quite astonishing to know that a teenager wants to have his own business. Good luck in your future en-devour!

15. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Member

The Million Dollar Homepage owner (Alex Tew) is in a new business but guess he will still keep that up for the large amount of people who paid $1 for pixel and there is $1,000,000 pixels so he obviously knew how to find people to pay the $1 to turn into one million bucks. Just imagine if it was a monthly $1 then 12 million a year, glade he did not do that. However, he has a different business now in offering free meditations and sleep programs but also ones that cost money. An option to pay Monthly, Yearly, or one time lifetime fee called Calm and I think the prices are ridiculous for those that are not free. See the prices here.

Anyways, I can help when it comes to where to buy your domain name/website, hosting, and I own an Affiliate Network along with an Incent Get Paid To (GPT) Site so can help in those areas as well if those are of any interest to you. I agree that you should target a problem and come up with the solution. If your a good sales person online/offline then you can get into a lot of what has been mentioned including in Affiliate Marketing.

I am not a sales person but tried in the past with very little success. I do have offers that would require sales from my affiliates/publishers but I do not advertise them myself. Below is an example of a problem and solution for both businesses of mine which link together by my GPT site running incent friendly offers off of incent network (none off mine right now but I could if I added more incent instead of non-incent or both like mine is).

1. Affiliate Network - Problem: Lots of scams out there that do not pay & those in affiliate marketing need more campaigns to run. Solution: Started an affiliate network for them to apply and run our offers and we pay them so that also helps with those in affiliate marketing to also increase thier revenue as well.

2. Get Paid To (GPT) Site - Problem: Again, lets of scam sites that do not pay, networks/advertisers & members (those who complete the offer) all increase thier revenue.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need any help (PM me is fine) or anyone else.