How and When Did You Know...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:7)

Leigh Steele

Administrator
...that you wanted to be an entrepreneur? We all love a good "hero's journey" story!

Tell us about how and when this became evident for you.
  • Did you have a role model or mentor?
  • What steps did you take to start?
  • Were you supported in this endeavor?

VirtualGlobalPhone

MVP
Its Choosing, "Decisions out of my own believes which Results into a speed at which the business takes me ahead".

When I started part time working doing maintenance on trucks for an entrepreneur and going for drives with him. He could spot an opportunity to make money a mile away.

Leigh Steele

Administrator
Timj77 I love that little tidbit. So did you just focus in on having rich conversations with him and really diving into his process? What a learning opportunity!

He just seemed to talk to people who had needs and turned them into opportunities. I usually wasn't around when he had the initial conversations as I only heard about it after. I was only working part time with him at age 16 or so when it started.

I was in the "trenches taking on grenades" - and no one could save me except myself.

But I had to figure out exactly how to do that.
Then I stumbled onto a Gary Vaynerchuk interview on The Breakfast Club where he threw out the idea of the 2016 Flip Challenge.

It's where you, sell crap that's laying around your house.
You go thrifting and buy something for $.50 and sell it for $12 - and so on.

And that's what I did.
It was a simple first step.

And it worked.

I made hundreds of dollars selling items on EBay which cleared my credit card debt.

Damn.
The anchor around my neck - gone.

It's kind of hard to go back to a 9-5 after going through that experience.
And now that I see the possibilities, I can't unsee it and there's no going back.

Great to read these replies. Here's my "hero's journey" if you can call it that...

I grew up in an entrepreneur household. My dad had worked as an entrepreneur since the mid-90s. So I had the benefit of observing him passively as I grew up. But things didn't become serious until I enrolled in a business school where I had to choose a major. My choice was ad hoc, but I went with entrepreneurship because it seemed "interesting" and I was short on time to make my decision. No time for second-guessing. Studies lead to entrepreneurship societies, which lead to me doing a few trials while wrapping up my studies. I had the opportunity to set up a proper business and become a full-time entrepreneur upon graduation in the fall of 2015.

So yeah, you could say that my dad was my role model and he has also functioned as my mentor over the years.
When it comes to starting there was a lot of mental prep that I had taken in passively over the years. It didn't hurt to move around in an environment where entrepreneurship was "hip." Setting up a company is the easy part. I only had to fill out an application and pay the registration fee.

There's a saying that applies well here: "No man is an island."
My family has given me a lot of support over the years.