For those who have a retail business, what kind of credit card machine are you using? My friends and I are opening up a coffee shop in a few months and we would like to know what kind of credit card machine we should get. Do we go for a traditional credit card machine or a tablet POS system?

T J Tutor

For those who have a retail business, what kind of credit card machine are you using? My friends and I are opening up a coffee shop in a few months and we would like to know what kind of credit card machine we should get. Do we go for a traditional credit card machine or a tablet POS system?

I would go with Square, PayPal, Stripe, may be right for you. Amazon has one coming soon. Here is a list of a couple of dozen similar POS systems.

I read a lot about the difference of traditional credit card machines and tablet POS and I might go with the traditional CC machine. I'm torn between Ingenico and Verifone from TSYS. Do you know anyone who uses the same merchant solution?

djbaxter

Administrator
Square isn't just for restaurants. I've used it occasionally as an alternative to PayPal or Interac in my business, although I haven't bothered to figure out how to use it to input credit card details when it's not a face to face transaction with a physical card present.

Pros: they are fast and easy and the money gets into your bank account quickly

Cons: if I recall correctly, their fees are a bit higher than PayPal (it's been a while since I last used it though so I'm not certain of that or if it's still true)

Top Bottom