Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Happy Canada Day 2018!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djbaxter, Jul 1, 2018.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Google-canada-day-2018-5055204671094784.4-l.png

Google says, "Happy Canada Day!" too with a special Google Search home page doodle.

For all our Canadian members, wherever you are celebrating and however you are celebrating, stay safe and stay cool!

Currently (9.12 AM EST) in Ottawa, it is already 27C with a humidex of 39C, going up to a high today of 36C (humidex 47C)! This will be the hottest Canada Day in Ottawa in many years, just shy of the record of 36.7C set in 1963.

For those not on the metric system:

Google logo canada-day-2018-5055204671094784-s.png
    Temp CTemp FHumidex CHumidex F
    27oC80oF39oC102oF
    36oC97oF47oC117oF
    36.7oC98oF
    My plans are to stay in the air conditioning as much as possible and move slowly. :eek:

I just learned that humidex is a Canadian concept, not universal.:oops:

Humidex - Wikipedia

2. mfawcett

mfawcett MVP

Happy Canada Day.

In the West Kootenay region of British Columbia, where I live, it's overcast and cool today. I was hoping for more proper summer weather honestly (it can get up to 35* around here some Summer days) - it's pretty changeable right now.

djbaxter likes this.
  3. fulfillment

fulfillment Member

I was told years ago that 7-1 was moving day in Canada. That must of been fun.

djbaxter likes this.
  4. djbaxter

It is one of the busy days for moving because that's the first month when primary and secondary school students have finished their school years and some families will wait for that to move into new homes.

But it's probably not the busiest. The honors for that go to May 1, when college and university students complete their academic years, and September 1, when college and university students start their new academic years. I have once or twice had to move on the first weekend in September and had to contend with that - and also with the fact that for some reason that first weekend in September in this part of Canada is almost always one of the hottest of the summer.

5. fulfillment

fulfillment Member

I ended up reading a story about it about an hour ago. Dose not sound like fun. The last few times I moved I took about a week.

djbaxter likes this.
  6. mfawcett

mfawcett MVP

Yeah, September is the worst, if you live anywhere with a university or college. Peak demand, least supply.

djbaxter likes this.
  7. djbaxter

mfawcett: It turns out you are correct - to a degree.

I'd forgotten about Quebec. They've always had different laws than the rest of Canada and their landlord-tenant act in particular is quite archaic.

fulfillment likes this.
  8. fulfillment

fulfillment Member

Lets not get into crazy laws. The US still has a ton of messed up ones...

djbaxter likes this.