Happy Canada Day 2018!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Google-canada-day-2018-5055204671094784.4-l.png

Google says, "Happy Canada Day!" too with a special Google Search home page doodle.

For all our Canadian members, wherever you are celebrating and however you are celebrating, stay safe and stay cool!

Currently (9.12 AM EST) in Ottawa, it is already 27C with a humidex of 39C, going up to a high today of 36C (humidex 47C)! This will be the hottest Canada Day in Ottawa in many years, just shy of the record of 36.7C set in 1963.

For those not on the metric system:

Google logo canada-day-2018-5055204671094784-s.png
[TABLE]

[TD1]Temp C[/TD1][TD1]Temp F[/TD1][TD1]Humidex C[/TD1][TD1]Humidex F[/TD1]

[TD1]27

o

C[/TD1][TD1]80

o

F[/TD1][TD1]39

o

C[/TD1][TD1]102

o

F[/TD1]

[TD1]36

o

C[/TD1][TD1]97

o

F[/TD1][TD1]47

o

C[/TD1][TD1]117

o

F[/TD1]

[TD1]36.7

o

C[/TD1][TD1]98

o

F[/TD1][TD1][/TD1][TD1][/TD1]

[/TABLE]

My plans are to stay in the air conditioning as much as possible and move slowly. :eek:

I just learned that humidex is a Canadian concept, not universal.:oops:

Humidex - Wikipedia

The humidex (short for humidity index) is an index number used by Canadian meteorologists to describe how hot the weather feels to the average person, by combining the effect of heat and humidity. The term humidex is a Canadian innovation coined in 1965.[1] The humidex is a dimensionless quantity based on the dew point.

Range of humidex: Scale of comfort:

20 to 29: Little to no discomfort
30 to 39: Some discomfort
40 to 45: Great discomfort; avoid exertion
Above 45: Dangerous; heat stroke quite possible

mfawcett

MVP
Happy Canada Day.

In the West Kootenay region of British Columbia, where I live, it's overcast and cool today. I was hoping for more proper summer weather honestly (it can get up to 35* around here some Summer days) - it's pretty changeable right now.

djbaxter

Administrator
Thread starter #4
It is one of the busy days for moving because that's the first month when primary and secondary school students have finished their school years and some families will wait for that to move into new homes.

But it's probably not the busiest. The honors for that go to May 1, when college and university students complete their academic years, and September 1, when college and university students start their new academic years. I have once or twice had to move on the first weekend in September and had to contend with that - and also with the fact that for some reason that first weekend in September in this part of Canada is almost always one of the hottest of the summer.

I ended up reading a story about it about an hour ago. Dose not sound like fun. The last few times I moved I took about a week.

mfawcett

MVP
It is one of the busy days for moving because that's the first month when primary and secondary school students have finished their school years and some families will wait for that to move into new homes.

But it's probably not the busiest. The honors for that go to May 1, when college and university students complete their academic years, and September 1, when college and university students start their new academic years. I have once or twice had to move on the first weekend in September and had to contend with that - and also with the fact that for some reason that first weekend in September in this part of Canada is almost always one of the hottest of the summer.
Yeah, September is the worst, if you live anywhere with a university or college. Peak demand, least supply.

djbaxter

Administrator
Thread starter #7
mfawcett: It turns out you are correct - to a degree.

I'd forgotten about Quebec. They've always had different laws than the rest of Canada and their landlord-tenant act in particular is quite archaic.