Google Speed Update: If you have a fast site, making it faster won't boost rankings

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
Google clarifies the upcoming Speed Update only impacts the 'slowest sites'
by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Land
July 3, 2018
With Google’s Speed Update coming sometime this month, I asked Google’s John Mueller to clarify what he meant when he said the update will work at “more of a gradual scale.” In a recent webmaster hangout, he told participants that “the faster you can make your pages the more we can take that into account. And it’s not so much that it’s like it’s too slow or it’s faster.”

That seemed to contradict the original announcement where Google said this update “will only affect pages that deliver the slowest experience to users.” So I asked Mueller about this one on Twitter.

He reiterated the earlier guidance that “this only affects the slowest sites” adding that “those can incrementally improve” but went on to say that “ideally, you’d significantly improve the speed.”

He also confirmed that Google is “still aiming for this month” for the rollout. Mueller also explained once again that “if your site is reasonably fast, tweaking won’t change things.”

So, in short, if you have a fast site, making it faster “won’t change things” with your rankings (at least due to the Speed Update), but if your site is slow, even incremental changes might help.
Read more...

mfawcett

MVP
According to Google my site is quite fast. I've thought about looking into further caching or compression techniques, but it's probably not necessary.

djbaxter

Administrator
I agree. If your site is currently scoring low (e.g., 50% or less on Google's PageSpeed Insights) then you'll likely want to do some work on it.

Start by double-checking the site response on some other sites (Google isn't perfect and it might just be a slow server response day or something).

Other speed checkers:
Don't forget to check your mpbile speed as well as desktop speed.

But at a certain point (there's no absolute number but I would think in the 70%-80% range) you can wait for a day when you have no pressing tasks to finish. You'll get diminishing returns above that point.

It will certainly help user experience on the page, i had a design done recently and it did just that ( before ppl would just like leave my site)