Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Speed Update: If you have a fast site, making it faster won't boost rankings

Discussion in 'Websites: Design, SEO, Security' started by djbaxter, Jul 3, 2018.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Google clarifies the upcoming Speed Update only impacts the 'slowest sites'
    by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Land
    July 3, 2018
    Read more...

2. mfawcett

mfawcett MVP

According to Google my site is quite fast. I've thought about looking into further caching or compression techniques, but it's probably not necessary.

djbaxter likes this.
  3. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

I agree. If your site is currently scoring low (e.g., 50% or less on Google's PageSpeed Insights) then you'll likely want to do some work on it.

Start by double-checking the site response on some other sites (Google isn't perfect and it might just be a slow server response day or something).

Other speed checkers:
    Don't forget to check your mpbile speed as well as desktop speed.

But at a certain point (there's no absolute number but I would think in the 70%-80% range) you can wait for a day when you have no pressing tasks to finish. You'll get diminishing returns above that point.

mfawcett likes this.