Google Adwords: $100 free ads for $50 purchase

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Okay family: What is the catch? I keep getting these and of course it is enticing, but I feel like it is somehow a money vacuum?

What is your experience with adwords?

Thank you!

djbaxter

Administrator
For some business with a decent advertising budget, AdWords seems to work well. But they are quite expensive and for that reason perhaps not the best option for many small business owners.

Here in Canada, what I get repeatedly from Google is an offer for a $150 credit if I spend $150 on an AdWords campaign. I confess that I've never taken advantage of those offers yet.

And of course if you are using AdWords as an SEO strategy, you need to remember that whatever the cost your website can only benefit as long as the ads are running; it will not increase your ranking in search results.

Why not? One is the ubiquity of Ad Blockers, including on Google's own Chrome browser which now has the majority share of the browser market. I think Chrome may even come with a default Ad Blocker, although I'm not certain - it's not my preferred browser.

In my tests, the most popular Ad Blockers clearly block all AdSense ads on Chrome, regardless of which browser you use, although there are some differences from one browser to another. You may be able to get around that somewhat depending on what you use to display your ads (on some sites, AdSense isn't detected if you use rotating ads software). Some other types of ads are less susceptible to being blocked.

But all that said, whenever I have considered this, it has seemed to me that I get much better returns at a lower cost from social media, especially Facebook ads, and it seems easier to target specific areas and demographics.

I may be completely wrong about all of this but that's basically why I'm not currently running any AdWords campaigns. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that others have a very different opinion and experience.

The best way to see how effective AdWords ads might be for you is via the Google Ads Keyword Planner. Try different combinations of search terms and Google will tell you what you can expect in terms of click-throughs to your site and how much it will cost you to run ads for that search term.

SARubin

MVP
Google Adwords: $100 free ads for $50 purchase

Okay family: What is the catch? I keep getting these and of course it is enticing, but I feel like it is somehow a money vacuum?

What is your experience with adwords?

Thank you!

Yes Lisa, I agree with your assessment.

I get these offers all the time. And from Googles point of view I'm sure it's just a loss leader (that's where they lose a few dollars on the front end acquisition cost of getting you in the door. And hope to suck you into their long term profit funnel)

I'm sure there's some people here who think adwords is great. So I can only speak from my own experience.

When I had my e-commerce sites I used adwords a lot at the beginning. Now this was years ago, so I'm only going on what I can remember at the moment.

But I remember some months spending hundreds of dollars on adwords. And in return, I made tens of dollars in sales.

In short... Google was making a lot more than I was with my adwords account.

Eventually I started using adwords mainly as a way to get quick traffic to my sites, while I waited for my other marketing avenues (SEO, forum and blog commenting, Article marketing, and offline efforts) to start bringing traffic. And then I would pause my adword account

So IMHO adwords has it's purpose. But I personally wouldn't count on it for the bulk of any marketing strategy.

Although, a free $100 credit is still a good offer. So for $50 out of pocket you can try it, and if it works for you, then great. If it doesn't, then shut it down and consider your $50 as a very reasonable cost of education.

Just my 2 cents.

This is honestly my dilemma for the type of business that we're running. We've just recently officially launched the service from beta so we are still debating when or if we need to run adwords. The thing is, our target are small businesses and not individuals, so we're not sure if a paid campaign like adwords would help us reach our intended audience.

djbaxter

Administrator
Small business are run by regular people who visit web sites and social media just like the rest of the world so I don't think that should be high on the list of conditions directing your decision. They should be no different than non-business owners when it comes to ads.

Well, Yelp ads got me, lol!!! Yelp is more specific to my genre, at least. So their offer was: I spend up to $13/day for $100 per mo free and it is per click only. It runs up to 6 months and places me at the top of the page whenever someone searches for random juice bar in my area. Approx. 84 cents per click- if the customer converts to a sale its a chunk of change from my average ticket- but we retain 43-56% of our first timers- so customer service and quality product has to take over from there.

As mentioned above this has to be just part of the overall marketing strategy. Prayers...

Welp- that was a nightmare! Got tons of clicks, no correlation to increased sales, auto-charged $390. No thank you. If that is SAVING $100 per month, no thanks.... I shut it down.

djbaxter

Administrator
I'm sorry you experienced that.

Quite honestly, I think most small businesses get more traction for a lot less money out of target ads from a business page on Facebook.

There was a time when boosted FB ads did so well. Now they taunt you with a range of engagement the ad "should" capture (ex. 400-2500), but I repeatedly find the final numbers to be at / lower than the first number. :/

djbaxter

Administrator
That's true. I just ignore the inflated claims they make and run short targeted campaigns at a time. Then they nag me about how much more exposure I'd get for more money and I ignore that too. And then when I'm ready, I run another short targeted campaign. I rarely spend more than $25-30 at a time.

Just remember, they all want your money. Go with your gut and with what works for you and ignore the sales pitches.