1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Funding For a Dairy Farm

Discussion in 'Financing Your Business' started by Vinaya.Ghimire, Feb 7, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Member

I have a dairy farm in Nepal. I started my dairy business with my saving and a bank loan. I need more investments on my dairy, thus, I am looking for individuals interested in this business. It is a small project. I have 5 cows and the current yield is 100 liters a day. cows.jpg

azgold likes this.
  2. William Clements

William Clements Moderator Member

Have you start by contacting local stores, super markets, etc. to see about buying the milk to sell in their store?

3. eProject

eProject Member

You will have to save some money you get out of selling milk. This will allow you to buy another cow. Do not sell calves because they usually grow very fast and they will be giving you more milk in the future. If the interest rates are high don't go for another loan, but if they not high then you can borrow more money to expand your business.

4. bria1

bria1 Member

You might want to go on a site like craigslist..this seems like your best bet. Your local farmers market may know where to lead you. I'm sure you can Google this information and maybe get a better solution.

5. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Member

I already have loyal customers for my milk production. I sell milk to a tea/coffee shop and a cake/sweet shop. I have been unable to meet the demands of my customers.Thus, I am thinking to invest more.

6. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

Try Kiva. It's a micro loan site. I've loaned money on there a couple of times. Not sure, as someone who needs funds, you can go through them directly, think you have to contact an organization in your area who then raises the money on Kiva.

You can check it though, I know there are other farmers on there from various parts of the world.

7. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Member

I don't know about Kva. What is it, an investment company, a crowfunding site or s social outreach site? I will surely check kiva and see if I am able to attract investor.

8. remnant

remnant Member

The best approach is asset financing. You negotiate with the company or institution where you sell your milk for capital (additional cows) or fixed assets which would be paid with a portion of your milk proceeds. Congrats, at a100 litres a day, your cows are productive. All the best.

9. Corazon

Corazon Member

Sometime in the year 2000, we went to Bulacan, the province beside Metro Manila, to visit a family friend of my husband. They were living in a homestead of 24 hectares by the foot of a mountain. With business in mind, my husband inquired on the cost of land. And after a brief consultation with me, I agreed that we buy 2 hectares to have a dairy farm. What's on our mind was a small ranch of 10 heads for milking and breeding also. It is a slow business but we like the idea of fresh milk.

However, the family friend discouraged us. He said that when the rebels see our ranch, they would ask for a tax of maybe 1 cow. And then when the military learns of our tax, they too would ask us of the same favor. In short, our ranch will lose all the cattle that we had invested. What a sad story.

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  10. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Member

I have checked KIva.It looks a nice platform for small businesses. However, I am not sure if this program is available in my location. There are many crowdfunding websites that do not allow people from my location to create campains.

11. azgold

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I'll have a look, see if I can find out for you.

12. azgold

13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Member

Sometimes because of the lack of capital outlay a business will not be able to operate well and will not be able to meet the demands of its customers. Having a low investment will also prevent business to further widen its growth as a business.

You said you had loyal customers already buying your milk but you are not able to meet their demands. And what you are thinking is right that you have to invest more so that you can expand your business. But be careful if you are planning to make a loan check wisely the interest rates before you decide in doing so. All the best of luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  14. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Member

Commercial banks' interest rates are high, they charge upto 20 percent per year. Government owned banks offer somehow low interest rate, around 10 percent.Government also provided subsidized soft loan. However, in order to use these benefits the business need to be very big

15. Nancy

Nancy Member

I am not a fan of borrowing. I would suggest you keep brainstorming and trying to come up with alternatives to borrowing. I had a very tiny dairy and broke even while I very slowly expanded. I worked with my neighbor and used his bull to breed my cows at no charge. I butchered and sold the males as grassfed beef to friends and family. I raised then sold or traded females so I had fresh genetics. It is a long process, but better not to owe in case of an unforseen disaster! Let us know what you end up doing - best wishes to much success!!

VirtualGlobalPhone likes this.
  16. azgold

17. azgold

I was just curious/concerned. Someone who deals in financial matters should have a professional company email rather than a Google freebie, shouldn't they? Maybe I'm not understanding something. It's possible.

18. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

@nathani abhishek ; very interesting , so your company email itself is hacked and you want to fund others . Its like bank just got looted by thieves, and still go ahead and put a notice board that "we give loans".

You must be a rare breed of investor who want to catch desperate ppl to sell OPM (other people money) or an empty bank account. ;)

Did any one suggested to invest that money first to safe guard your own money ?

@nathani abhishek - Suggest you to add your offers and about yourself under "resource" tab.

Best wishes...

19. azgold

I see. I'm sorry but I would look at that and wonder about security. It doesn't instill trust, as you're talking about a large financial dealing.

20. Caitlin Rogers

Caitlin Rogers Member

I think, behind this high-interest rates because Federals Federal Reserves. Remember, Federal is the one decide whether to raise or lower rates in a state, in this a chain reaction will be started affecting various clusters in a bank.

Source: Interest Rates Update