1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freelancer Burnout: How to avoid it

Discussion in 'Finding Balance' started by djbaxter, Jan 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Freelancing can be a lonely world with a lot of frustration and a lot of hard slogging. This article focuses on advice primarily for freelance writers but I think some of the tips are more generally useful as well.

Freelance Burnout and 10 Ways to Prevent It
    by Chris Henson, SearchInfluence.com
    January 13th, 2017

Read more...

How effectively do you think you manage "freelancer burnout"? What strategies have you tried to prevent or recover from it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Member

Really like what this article had to say.. I'm a travel agent who has always loved to write. I'm thinking about trying to get some articlesppublished.

I believe there has to be balance in everything that we do. I never work on Sundays. Always go to church and then usually do something with friends after.. I take vacations when my family gathers.. Love to read when my work is through each day

djbaxter likes this.
  3. azgold

azgold Moderator MVP Member

I didn't. Then I became gravely ill and hospitalized for 4 1/2 months with GBS. Then I didn't write anymore, completely lost the desire or will to do so. It'll be five years next week and I still would rather do just about anything.

I used to write from the time I got up til the time I went to bed. Client stuff first always, then my own. I didn't have much in the way of life balance, wasn't much interested in doing anything but writing and finding clients. I didn't think it could hurt me, I was doing what I wanted to do. I was wrong.

Burnout doesn't just maim creativity, it hurts your physical body, too. Or at least it can.

This is a more important topic than a lot of people realize. Thanks for shining a light on it, DJ.

djbaxter likes this.
  4. Valerie Hart

Valerie Hart MVP

Great read!
    I may be just beginning, but I try to stick to a schedule. When I'm out of the house, I'm working. When I'm home, I'm relaxing only to answer emails if it is quick and urgent. I do, however, need to work on setting "Mini Goals." When I tackle editing a new book, I try to edit in parts instead of smaller chapter groups. Lately, it has been putting more pressure on me to finish a job quicker than I'd like. It is definitely better to manage smaller goals alongside a not-too-generous amount of time allotted to finish an edit as thoroughly as possible.

azgold and djbaxter like this.
  5. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana Member

I can empathize. Working from home, sometimes it's hard to walk away from your work. So what I did was to create clear divisions between my home life and my work life. I have a work schedule that I stick too as much as possible. I don't work outside of my home office. I don't check work emails on my phone. I turn off my wifi on the weekends. Any work emergency can wait until office hours.

azgold likes this.
  6. Eanatum

Eanatum Member

Just don't wait for the last second to do all the work, I found it practical to do it little by little so by the time the deadline approach I'm right on track.

azgold, Julia Sta Romana and djbaxter like this.