SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
So... I am buying am existing business. The current owner is essentially using his personal e-mail address as the business e-mail, but I want to change that. I want the business e-mail to be Something@BusinessName.com, so that it looks professional.

I am pretty sure that gmail will do this for me. But I've also heard that gmail collects your data and maybe isn't all that secure. So I'm just wondering if there are other, better e-mail services out there where I can specify my domain name for the e-mail address.

TIA

SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
You can also do the same using Outlook if you're already using it.

Say what now?
Outlook is just an e-mail client. I could change the "From" field. But that wouldn't help me if someone sent an e-mail to an address that doesn't really exist.

djbaxter

Administrator
Does the business have a website? Is there an existing {Business}.com site?

If so, you should be able to set up an email account with that domain name, or several different ones if you like. Most hosting allows this.

Ask your host to set it up for you, or send me a DM and I'll see if I can do it for you (free).

SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
Does the business have a website? Is there an existing {Business}.com site?

If so, you should be able to set up an email account with that domain name, or several different ones if you like. Most hosting allows this.

Ask your host to set it up for you, or send me a DM and I'll see if I can do it for you (free).
Yes, the current owner has a service that basically manages the web site with the correct domain name. He's just not using that domain name for e-mail. I don't know if the web site management company does e-mail, as well. You are right, I should probably ask them.

But I was really just looking for recommendations of good e-mail hosts where I can set up an e-mail address with a specific domain name.

djbaxter

Administrator
The problem with going that route is you might find that too many of your emails go to spam/junk folders because the stated sender and the actual sender do not match.

See:

SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
I'm not following you. What route?
I'm just trying to figure out how to get and use an e-mail address that uses my company's domain name. You're telling me there's no way to do that without losing e-mails to a spam folder? Obviously not, since millions of companies do this all the time.

djbaxter

Administrator
I'm not following you. What route?
I'm just trying to figure out how to get and use an e-mail address that uses my company's domain name. You're telling me there's no way to do that without losing e-mails to a spam folder? Obviously not, since millions of companies do this all the time.
I'm not saying anything of the kind.

I'm advising you to be careful about using Gmail or other free email services to substitute "Something@BusinessName.com" for "Something@gmail.com".

Yes, most companies use email addresses that use their domain name. They do that by actually setting up email accounts on their servers, usually the same server that hosts their websites. It's not a difficult thing to do and it's the best way, in combination with the correct settings for SPF, DKIM, and DMARC DNS records, to minimize having your email go to spam.

SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
Okay, I will have to check and see if the service that does the web site can do e-mail for me, as well. I didn't think they did that, but I will look into it.

Thanks for your help djbaxter. :)

Biztech

Yes, the current owner has a service that basically manages the web site with the correct domain name. He's just not using that domain name for e-mail. I don't know if the web site management company does e-mail, as well. You are right, I should probably ask them.

But I was really just looking for recommendations of good e-mail hosts where I can set up an e-mail address with a specific domain name.
A few quick thoughts - As the new business owner, is the business domain ownership been changed to reflect you as the owner? 2nd. Do you have access to the Web Hosting Control Panel - is it the same as the Registrar? It could be hosted with another provider. From that access, you should be able to establish email accounts.

**Outlook is a email client -

SheckyS01

Top Poster Of Month
A few quick thoughts - As the new business owner, is the business domain ownership been changed to reflect you as the owner? 2nd. Do you have access to the Web Hosting Control Panel - is it the same as the Registrar? It could be hosted with another provider. From that access, you should be able to establish email accounts.

**Outlook is a email client -
Yes, as part of the contract and buying the business, I am buying the domain name. I am actually assuming that the owner of the business owns the domain. The web site is hosted by another company that hosts web sites, I think. Come to think of it, I am making the assumption that the owner of the business owns the domain name, but I am not 100% sure of that. He's not very technical, so it's entirely possible, I guess, that the web-hosting service owns it. I'm really not sure.

djbaxter

Administrator
Yes, as part of the contract and buying the business, I am buying the domain name. I am actually assuming that the owner of the business owns the domain. The web site is hosted by another company that hosts web sites, I think. Come to think of it, I am making the assumption that the owner of the business owns the domain name, but I am not 100% sure of that. He's not very technical, so it's entirely possible, I guess, that the web-hosting service owns it. I'm really not sure.
All of this should be explored if you buy the business - preferably before you buy the business.

Top Bottom