Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Featured Do Local Businesses Still Need a Website?

Discussion in 'Websites: Design, SEO, Security' started by djbaxter, Apr 16, 2018.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

Do Local Businesses Still Need a Website?
    by Jamie Pitman, BrightLocal.com
    April 16, 2018

Read more...

2. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator MVP Member

One of the reason is today resources and logistics are connected much better than couple of years back, so local business need to have a online order or shopping option for customers. So sitting in his / her home they can place the order.

monika.123 likes this.
  3. Chiedo

Chiedo Member

For now, local businesses can still get away with not having websites if they're in really tight knit communities.

But that doesn't make it a good idea.

Older generations may not care but younger generations do more so.

With all that being said, with it being extremely easy to launch professional looking websites today with tools like Squarespace, there isn't a good reason to not have a website other than laziness in my opinion. It's so easy and so cheap to get something basic done even if you don't want to hire a firm.

monika.123 and djbaxter like this.
  4. Bolton

Bolton Member

Every business needs a website in 2018 - it's how most people (including myself) evaluate a company. If they don't have a website I just think they're behind the times and I don't really want to do business with them subconsciously.

djbaxter likes this.
  5. John Racine

John Racine Member

Every business should have a website in my humble opinion. It can be used with Google and Facebook to advertise, grow and monetize. I have a tow truck company I was working with and they decided to cancel their website. They have definitely seen a drop in calls.

6. SARubin

SARubin Member

Does your business really need a website
    by Steven A Rubin
    Retrieved April 30, 2018

Hey, fellow business marketer –

Today I’m answering a question from one of my clients, Jim T, who asked if he really needs a small business website.

Jim is a local, self employed, handyman who says he doesn’t like to travel more than an hour for work; so he doesn’t see the need for a website because all his business is local.

Believe it or not, I still hear that statement from a large number of local business owners.

So, I decided to write this short post, just in case you’re still sitting on the fence about it.

The short answer is “yes” your business should have a website.

Your small business website doesn’t need to be fancy, and it doesn’t need to be expensive… But it does need to exist!

The two most common excuses I hear for not having a small business website are…

1) – “I don’t need a website because my business is a local brick and mortar business. And besides, I already have a Facebook page.”

The fact is… Even if you run a local brick and mortar business, to be considered legitimate these days, you need a website.

More than 90% of people look online to find a company to do business with. And while the people down the street might know who you are, potential customers 20 or 30 miles away, might not.

That’s an awful lot of potential customers looking online, only to find your competitors website instead of yours.

And that’s a lot of money going to your competition... instead of you.

As for social media: Social media is great for staying in touch with people, (Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in, etc.) and they can also be good marketing tools, but your own website adds a solid foundation to let people know you’re for real.

And when people know you’re for real, they’re far more likely to trust you, and do business with you.

2) – The second most common excuse I hear is… “It’s too expensive to have my own website.”

The fact is… A website is one of the most cost effective marketing tools you will ever use.

It only costs about ten dollars a year to register your domain name. And, an inexpensive web host is only around ten dollars a month.

Do the math… If you can’t afford less than 150 dollars a year, for a complete advertising and marketing platform that runs 24 hours a day… 7 days a week… 365 days a year…

Then you don’t own a business – you own a hobby.

The bottom line is… If you own a small business, and you don’t have a website yet, it’s time to join the 21st century and get with the program.

Because the days when most people look in the phone book, to find your business, are long gone. (and they're not coming back)

Well, it’s getting late, and this message is getting a bit long. So…

Until next time,
    To your success…

All the best,
    SARubin

___________________________________________________________________________________

*** I'm not sure if I can post this here... or not?

This is a short blog post I wrote about 6 or 7 years ago, on this very topic. So it does relate to this thread, but here's where I'm not sure if it violates any forum rules...

It's my own original post, so if I copy and paste it here, and give credit to the original source, with a link to the source (which is my own website) does that constitute self promotion?

Yes, I'm a bit confused. So if it violates any forum rules, by all means delete it, and please let me know so I don't make the same mistake again. Thanks.

If any administrator wants to, you can delete it, and just let me know so I won't include one next time the original source is my own site. Thanks.***

djbaxter: We have no objection to you posting an occasional article (or an excerpt) of your own, as long as you credit the full source of the original.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
    djbaxter likes this.
  7. mfawcett

mfawcett Member

As someone in the web development field, I agree that there is no excuse in this day and age, for a business not to have a website. I suspect if businesses don't have a website, even just a basic "brochure website" (as we call it in our industry), it's due to a lack of understanding of the power of the internet.

djbaxter likes this.