1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Developing Your Company’s Culture Like Bacteria in a Petri Dish

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Take Career of Yourself, Sep 7, 2015.

What is the culture like at your company?

1. Non-stop water cooler soap opera drama - tune in every Monday through Friday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Everyone works hard and minds their business - especially what's-his-name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Play hard, work later - time to hang up the going out of business sign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bacteria, fungus - need to hire a cleaning crew ASAP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. When a mad scientist (or a happy scientist) wants to grow a microbial culture in their secret laboratory, they start by sterilizing a petri dish, adding sources of nutrition for the microbes, then add the microbes. It’s probably that simple!

So, if office managers are exactly like scientists, and offices are exactly like petri dishes, that means that a company’s culture can be developed like a culture of bacteria (flawless logic)...

http://takecareerofyourself.com/2015/09/07/developing-your-companys-culture-like-bacteria-in-a-petri-dish/

2. Jessica Danes

Jessica Danes MVP Member

@Take Career of Yourself, I'm loving this analogy! I'm trying to adapt it in my head as I read to apply to my business since I own a store instead of an office business. I can relate to the section, "The lab-grown bacteria need to eat food and drink water, just like everyone else." When I hire someone new, I have my other employees train them. Not only does it establish a partnership between employees, it also helps me observe and test how much knowledge my previous employees have retained, and what I may need to train them in again. Sometimes I realize I don't like the way we've been conducting a certain task and create a new way to approach the problem. It's very eye-opening!

djbaxter likes this.