Content You Shouldn't Post on Social Media

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

djbaxter

Administrator
9 Types of Content to Stop Posting on Social Media
by Aaron Agius, SocialMediaToday.com
July 16, 2019

When you post bad content to your social media channels, you run the risk of overshadowing all the hard work you’ve put into building your presence, and establishing connection with your online audience. Avoid these post types in your approach.

1. Overly promotional content
Whatever your social media goals are, what matters is that you bring value to your audience. Some brands make the mistake of assuming that what’s valuable to them is also important to their audience, and they use their social platforms to broadcast, to “sell, sell, sell”, rather than considering what really matters to people they're trying to reach. Instead of using your social platforms to broadcast, try to use them to join conversations that are already happening. Listen to what your audience is already discussing, read what influencers are writing - then pitch your content to respond to these cues.

It may be worth considering the 5-3-2 rule, which states that for every 10 posts you publish:
  • 5 should be curation - sharing others’ content
  • 3 should be creation - relevant content you’ve produced yourself
  • 2 should be humanization - personal, fun and relaxed content that humanizes your brand
2. Political or religious content

3. Irrelevant viral posts

4. Negative or derogatory content

5. Posts with spelling or grammatical errors

6. Brand-inconsistent content

7. The same message across social networks

Although you want to maintain a consistent brand voice, it’s a mistake to post exactly the same content across all platforms. It goes without saying that all social networks are different. They speak to different demographics for one thing, and they each lend themselves to different content. LinkedIn is usually more copy-heavy and formal, Instagram is mainly visual and informal, while Twitter is more suited to bite-sized tidbits and GIFs. Think about each of your social media accounts, and tailor your content to suit each one. Even if you have roughly the same thing to say, make sure that your message fits with the style and tone of each platform.

8. Unaccredited content
There’s nothing wrong with sharing other people’s content - in fact, I’d advise that you actively do this. But so many brands copy content directly from other sources, without crediting them. The same goes for quotes - inspirational quotes have their place, but when you don’t name the quote source, it looks sloppy.

9. Hashtag-stuffed content
Hashtags are super useful - they help to increase the visibility and shareability of your content across social media, they let you grow your audience, and they can open your content up to greater discussion. That said, if you stuff your social content with reams of irrelevant hashtags, then you’ll risk making your post unreadable, and diluting the importance of the more relevant ones.

Read more...

Julia Sta Romana

MVP
Top Poster Of Month
There are notable exceptions. Like Wendy's for example. They regularly roast people and other businesses in their Twitter account. It's on brand for them and (mostly) in good fun. If you want to post something negative as a form of humor, you need to make to make sure you're punching up instead of punching down.

djbaxter

Administrator
There are notable exceptions. Like Wendy's for example. They regularly roast people and other businesses in their Twitter account. It's on brand for them and (mostly) in good fun. If you want to post something negative as a form of humor, you need to make to make sure you're punching up instead of punching down.
Excellent points!

VirtualGlobalPhone

Nowadays one need to Question why even post or spend time on the over-hyped and used social networking site.

It has just created more engagement for people who never wanted to work and always pass the work to others.

djbaxter

Administrator
Nowadays one need to Question why even post or spend time on the over-hyped and used social networking site.

It has just created more engagement for people who never wanted to work and always pass the work to others.
VirtualGlobalPhone I assume you mean Twitter?

I only use Twitter to publicize interesting new developments or articles. I consider that networking mostly. The format really isn't conducive to browsing at all - much too noisy, too busy, and most of what people post is either political or uninteresting trivia about their own lives. I mean, seriously people... take it to Facebook or Instagram and share it with your friends who might care.

VirtualGlobalPhone

The social sites (Twitter / FB / etc) are good as long as there is a limited number of people one follows. The moment one reached 15 active friends/accounts.

The amount of data along with suggestions and ads are so heavy one will simply don't bother. They focus only on posting ...

Its the same replica of most of the human being issues with communication. We don't listen to others we listen to reply.

djbaxter

Administrator
Well, I would disagree about Facebook. I think it's still useful both for keeping up with family and personal friends and for small business branding and advertising.

But Twitter is mostly noise from my viewpoint.

Julia Sta Romana

MVP
Top Poster Of Month
I agree about being selective on what platform you should be on. You don't have to be on multiple platforms to reach out. Focusing on one platform that allows you to make meaningful connections with customers and prospects is better and more efficient than doing all that work trying to get them all.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe