Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choose a Domain Name That Will Stand the Test of Time

Discussion in 'Websites: Design, SEO, Security' started by djbaxter, May 28, 2018.

Share This Page

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

How to Choose a Domain Name That Will Stand the Test of Time
    by Gillon Hunter, SearchEngineJournal.com
    May 28, 2018

Read more...

2. Ian Potter

Ian Potter Member

Great advice!

3. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member Top Contributor

I'm sticking my head up for some air before I go back under water. This post really belongs somewhere else; but, I figured I'll add something here.

With all the .com suffix taken, I started looking at other options, which was a component of my revised business name research. I visit this forum by typing the URL directly, and I don't even remember how I got here. Similarly, customers that need/want your service will remember you.

Therefore, I feel we shouldn't use our domain name directly for campaigns; instead, I advocate marketing with ShortURL that ties to your analytics tracking. For example, we can use the google campaign URL builder to track campaigns via google analytics.

Here is how I posted a link on facebook.

:cool:My website url
    www . stemlearning.education
    My landing page:confused:
    www . stemlearning.education/blog/2018/05/28/summer-2018-venue-location-finalized/
    :eek: My google landing page with google analytics URL
    www . stemlearning.education/blog/2018/05/28/summer-2018-venue-location-finalized/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=social_info&utm_content=launch
    URL on Facebook :)
    now.gd/camproom

Similarly, I want to print some temporary 24"x36" banners to put around the city; once again I have decided to use a different ShortUrl that redirects to my domain with google analytics tracking.

sign.png
    **** DON'T TYPE ABOVE URL to avoid skewing my result ****

Above ad has several things going for it:
    • Easy to read & remember ad url
    • My city name is in the URL and drivers are likely to type it.
    • The shortUrl redirects to my website with campaign encoded URL
    • It has my brand logo for those that recognize it
    • Easy to read for fast moving vehicles

• Don't you like my color choices? If not, then read this post.
      If you still disagree, then tell me what would be better. With my short URL scheme, I can easily do A/B test.
    If you are wondering, I have below domains pointing to my local install of YOURLS to handle the campaign code redirections:
    • enroll.gd
    • now.gd
    • reg.gd
    • stem.at
    So, do you want to know how the banner is doing?

Well, I don't know yet; I'm on my way to see sample at print shop.

Take care...

P.S.
    Even my signature link uses the campaign code to track how many people from BizWarriors look at my site.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. djbaxter

djbaxter Administrator Moderator Member

With all the scams, spams, and malware on the net these days, I, like many people, am distrustful of shortened URLs.

I can see a point to using them along with the name of your company or campaign in printed marketing material. There, you know that the person is going to have to type it in manually so shorter and memorable has an advantage. In actual links on the net, though, it looks too much like deception.

I hadn't noticed that your signature uses a shortened URL until you mentioned it, and I know that you're not trying to do anyone any harm here, but I must point out that our Forum Rules specifically prohibit the use of shortened URLs. There are alternate ways to identify the source of clicks ("referer") in your URLs.

5. Edvin

Edvin MVP Member Top Contributor

Agreed. Studies show that Branded URLs have 39% higher click.
    Generic short URLs vs branded links, which has a better CTR?
    Though I am using shortURL, I'm still trying to keep it branded to have the best of both worlds.
    Oops, my bad. There is really no reason for me to use shortURL on the forum; I was just being lazy.

djbaxter likes this.