One of the hardest things to figure out when doing social media marketing as a beginner is the best time to post your content.

To figure it out, you need to run several tests to see. And it's something that changes over time as your audience matures, the platform changes, even seasons can be a factor.

But a good starting point is to look at studies like the article below. Try the schedules they recommend and set it as a baseline for reach and engagement. Then try posting earlier or later in 15 or 30-minute increments.

Then try testing how often you should post per day and per week.

It's a lot of work monitoring the results but it's easy to understand and you won't be overwhelmed with data.

Best Time to Post on Social Platforms in 2022 | Toolbox Marketing

djbaxter

Administrator
I generally try to avoid posting anything very important on a Monday, since that's when people are returning from the weekend and trying to figure out a priority list for the coming week.

However, that also depends on the specific social media platform. For Twitter, in my opinion, never on a Monday (except for brief reminders of a webinar or something along those lines which will occur on Tuesday or Wednesday). There are just too many posts on Twitter that can bury your post within a few hours at the best of times.

Facebook is a bit different in those respects. For me, any day and any time seems to work. And other than Facebook and Twitter, I really don't use the others. But I do use various forums where the content is related to services and any products I offer, and I don't often post specific announcements about those services or products. Rather, I try to answer questions posted by others or links to articles about hosting or security vulnerabilities and my forum signature links to my main website if anyone has similar problems that falls within the services I offer.

And of course, the basic rule applies: go where your customers hang out.

One social media site I have been thinking about is Reddit. I rarely even read posts on that site let alone post there but one of my sons likes it and sometimes links to posts there so I've been considering adding that to Twitter and Facebook.

Dora Wi

MVP
Top Poster Of Month
Good points. There are quite a few things to consider when it comes to timing.
Another thing I think is important to look at is the demographics of your audience or target audience - specifically their geographical location. If the majority of your audience is from an area with a different time zone, it is advisable to tailor your posting schedule to that specific time zone.

Julia Sta Romana

I generally try to avoid posting anything very important on a Monday, since that's when people are returning from the weekend and trying to figure out a priority list for the coming week.

However, that also depends on the specific social media platform. For Twitter, in my opinion, never on a Monday (except for brief reminders of a webinar or something along those lines which will occur on Tuesday or Wednesday). There are just too many posts on Twitter that can bury your post within a few hours at the best of times.

Facebook is a bit different in those respects. For me, any day and any time seems to work. And other than Facebook and Twitter, I really don't use the others. But I do use various forums where the content is related to services and any products I offer, and I don't often post specific announcements about those services or products. Rather, I try to answer questions posted by others or links to articles about hosting or security vulnerabilities and my forum signature links to my main website if anyone has similar problems that falls within the services I offer.

And of course, the basic rule applies: go where your customers hang out.

One social media site I have been thinking about is Reddit. I rarely even read posts on that site let alone post there but one of my sons likes it and sometimes links to posts there so I've been considering adding that to Twitter and Facebook.

Reddit's good too but it's not as visual as IG or TikTok. But I agree it's great for products that have strong/active community support and interactions. My husband follows the IT communities there.

Julia Sta Romana

Good points. There are quite a few things to consider when it comes to timing.
Another thing I think is important to look at is the demographics of your audience or target audience - specifically their geographical location. If the majority of your audience is from an area with a different time zone, it is advisable to tailor your posting schedule to that specific time zone.

I agree. Timezone is also important. That's why we see global companies have multiple official accounts. They do this to create localized content.

Ann87

Can anyone please tell, don't all these subtleties change depending on the country in which you do business? For example, I once found an infographic with the best hours to post and translated it for my Facebook community, but my followers said that these tips were irrelevant to them.

twinkle

Can anyone please tell, don't all these subtleties change depending on the country in which you do business? For example, I once found an infographic with the best hours to post and translated it for my Facebook community, but my followers said that these tips were irrelevant to them.

I think this applies. You have to know when people in a country are most active so many people would see your posts.

Fredjclaus

I agree with DJ, it's best not to do anything on a Monday. Everyone is so swamped with things that happened while they were out that Monday is not a good day. My research shows that Tuesdays are the best day, but as far as what time, I'm still trying to figure that out.

Julia Sta Romana

I agree. That's why it's important to test and optimize your posts. Best posting times are just a starting point if you have no idea when to post.

Julia Sta Romana

I agree with DJ, it's best not to do anything on a Monday. Everyone is so swamped with things that happened while they were out that Monday is not a good day. My research shows that Tuesdays are the best day, but as far as what time, I'm still trying to figure that out.

Again, it depends on your audience. Mondays aren't the best time to post but there are a lot of people who post on Monday night because that's when some people go on social media to relax.

Top Bottom