• We are reorganizing and expanding the forum Categories and Topics to make this a more comprehensive site and to make it easier to navigate. Thanks for your patience while this is in progress.

Become a Professional Copywriter

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
7 Steps to Becoming a Professional Copywriter
Han-Gwon Lung, entrepreneur.com
July 27, 2017

How do you become a professional copywriter? How do you become any kind of professional writer, for that matter? Here’s how I personally went about becoming a professional copywriter when I had no portfolio and no work experience to my name. These are tips that apply to going after any new job or career path.
  1. Know the market inside and out.
  2. Believe in yourself.
  3. Try it out for fun first.
  4. Prepare to fail and get rejected a lot.
  5. Don’t specialize to start -- play the field.
  6. Learn how to brand and sell yourself.
  7. Do you love it enough to do it full time?
You have to be more afraid of not trying.
I freelanced sporadically and part time in between unemployment stints for years before I found any traction. My self-confidence was like a seesaw. I felt like giving up.

But I didn't quit, because being a professional writer was my childhood dream. It wasn’t a fantasy -- it was my dream. So, when I had to choose between pursuing my dream or giving up on a “secure” future, I saw giving up as far worse for me, personally.
Of course, being a professional writer is just one type of dream and journey. Maybe you want to be a professional organizer, startup billionaire or life coach. Whatever your dream, and no matter how different it is from your day job, don’t be ashamed of it. Dreams give you life. The secret to a truly satisfying career is to not be afraid to own them.
Read more...