Avoid these mistakes in email marketing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

djbaxter

Administrator
3 Things to Consider When Marketing Your Small Business with Emails
by Ivan Widjaya, Noobpreneur.com
September 26, 2017

1. Watch That Grammar
It might seem like an obvious thing, and yet the number of business emails that are sent out with glaring grammatical errors would likely surprise you. And if one of yours gets sent out to a massive list of recipients with some of those errors, your potential clients and customers might consider you to be unprofessional and therefore not worthy of your time. Find someone, whether it’s a professional editor or a local English teacher, who can take a read-through and make sure that everything is grammatically sound.

2. Strike the Right Tone
There is a balance that needs to be struck when you’re sending out a business email. On the one hand, you want to project a little looseness to your recipients, so that they’re not bored stiff by your little pitch. By the same token, too much of that might make you seem like you’re not a serious business partner. Aim for a little levity or informality in the beginning of the email, just enough to disarm the reader. Once it comes to your pitch though, try to dispense with that looseness and concentrate on the particulars of the pitch and why it’s a great deal.

3. Write To Your Audience
A common mistake made in any marketing effort is when someone tells too much about their product or service and forgets to address why these things are needed by the people to whom they’re pitching. A sales pitch should be as much about the potential buyer as it is the seller. So try to put yourself in the shoes of the businesses receiving the email. What would they want to hear? Why is what you’re selling right for them? Answer those questions first and foremost.

Read more...

Thanks for the post. I had done business promotion via email marketing technique & now my business having a smooth movement. Make sure your Email doesn't contain any Grammar mistakes.

JM35

How would you recommend using email marketing for a website that doesn't sell products? I build an email list for both of my sites (both just broke 200 subscribers) but my sites only make money from Amazon and Adsense, so I am having trouble using my email lists to make money. Right now I just notify subscribers when I release a new article on my blogs. So until I get some private/paid advertisers I have a hard time creating successful email campaigns. Any ideas?

My one site is super niche (specific BMW engine blog) so my email list is a goldmine, but Amazon sells almost zero products that I could market through email and affiliate programs are almost non-existent.

djbaxter

Administrator
My one site is super niche (specific BMW engine blog) so my email list is a goldmine, but Amazon sells almost zero products that I could market through email and affiliate programs are almost non-existent.
Is it possible you've made your niche unnecessarily small? Why just one BMW engine? Why just an engine? Perhaps you'd have more success if you expanded it, maybe even to "all things BMW".

I haven't looked to Amazon for specific car items but so they sell car accessories - dash cams, mats, autostarters, that sort of thing? If not Amazon, what about affiliate programs for aftermarket businesses?

JM35

Yes and no. I ran a bmw parts website prior, but closed it down for something more passive. I chose one specific engine, the n54 engine, because it is the one I have in my BMW, and that my brother has as well. It is a very tune-able engine, so there is a pretty big community behind it (google n54tech). Being super niche has allowed us to crush it in Google and build a pretty loyal following.

We have been trying to establish affiliate deals with aftermarket brands, but none of them have the capability setup currently and are unwilling to build this functionality into their website just for us.

My current goal is to go after paid advertising, sponsored posts, sponsored email promotions, etc. but I have had a hard time reaching the ideal advertisers for our site. This month we should break 8k uniques, 16k pageviews, and we get about 100 email subscribers a month. So it is growing significantly and, I think, should be a prime website for aftermarket brands to advertise on. It currently makes $75/m from adsense and amazon which I feel is only a fraction of what it could do with paid advertising or serious affiliate deals.