1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Business or Entrepreneurial questions? BizWarriors is completely FREE - paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! You can now use your Facebook or Twitter account to regsiter or login. If you're new to the BizWarriors Forum, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone here learning to program?

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Danem, Apr 16, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Danem

Danem Member

I hope this is in the right category, but is anyone else learning to program? I have several ideas for apps, websites, etc, and I came to the realization that learning web development or programming is extremely important. It'll help immensely if you want to create your own website, and it's a very useful skill.

What resources is everyone using?

T J Tutor likes this.
  2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Member

HTML5 and PHP as well as Python are likely good candidates for you to learn for web development. App programming is a little more involved in some ways. I did a lot of programming when i was building softwares for banks and credit unions in the 90's. It was very lucrative and I enjoyed it, but I was in it to learn the industry more than the programming. If you can get a line of successful apps going, the real challenge will be keeping them on the cutting edge so as not to become extinct!

3. jona

jona Member

If you are serious about web development, PHP and javascript, plus you need some basic understanding of SQL and databases in general, and CSS of course. I have over 10 years of experience doing web programing but if you really want to get into it, I suggest you look into mobile app programing as that's the future. Creating a site today is very simple, use one of these hosting providers that offer you drag and drop functionality for customizing professionally designed templates and you can have an entire website plus blog plus an e commerce store front without writing a single line of code, websites are more about design these days, no so much about the back end unless you are planning to create actual web applications.

If I were to learn programing today I would look into Android or iOS development just as I looked into HTML 15 years ago when everybody else was still doing desktop apps.

Ladyferoz and T J Tutor like this.
  4. 111kg Member

I too am learning how to program. I would suggest giving a chance to freecodecamp.com. It's a free platform that allows you to learn everything about web development for free, not to say that there are also places like Coursera.org or udemy.com, that also give a ton of information for free.

5. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Member

I am learning it in my spare time, I have a few amazing internet resources to guide me. I first started with Harvard's intro program to computer programming. The link is Introduction to Computer Science . I highly recommend it, it was a fun course to do and definitely challenging, I failed to complete it because they give you six months and I went abroad for the final two months with limited access to the internet.

6. grNadpa

grNadpa Member

Of course one of the resources you will need is where you plan to do your website and app development using languages and tools such as PHP, mySQL, ...

If you haven't done so already, I created an Apache server on my laptop for that purpose with the free XAMPP download which takes much of the hassle out of trying to install piecemeal. And it is, according to their website, and I quote:
    So there is no out of pocket or spam consequences.

I'm running windows. It may not work on a Mac. And, of course, you may have addressed your development environment already.

7. bob1978

bob1978 Member

I came to just that realization last year. And I took a few months off to really focus on learning programming, with no prior knowledge except HTML/CSS. First choice was of course Wordpress. It's more of a content-based CMS than I was needed, and I wanted a more flexible solution, so my choices were - PHP, Ruby, Python. In the end, I chose Django (a Python web framework) which allowed me to rapidly develop reasonably complex websites, fast. Ruby on Rails is pretty much the same, but I wasn't as comfortable with their system.

Anyway, by the 4th month, I successfully managed to launch my very own eCommerce store (built completely myself), and by the 6th month, I successfully managed to launch an MVP of a freelancer/project job site (also from the ground up). Had I hired someone to do the job, it would have cost me probably more than ten or twenty grand.

When I learned, I started off with the basics on CodeAcademy (just the free lessons). I learned the basics of how to speak the language (as it were), and understood the basics of how programming worked. Once I was confident enough, I played with a few online Python compilers. Made up simple scenarios, did some simple mathematical calculations (find the area of a circle!, find the circumference!), stuff like that. Then, I studied the official Django manual to learn how that worked. There are several tutorials scattered around the web, which will help guide you through the starting stages. From there, it's a lot of experimentation between the programming side, and the rendered HTML output side. Learned how to make a link go to a new page, carry variables there, and do special things too. Learned about things like creating pages accessible only when logged in. Learned how to upload images, then display that right after. It's hard to describe, it feels almost like casting a successful magical spell. And it worked, and you felt really good. You can see all the different possibilities now that you can do so&such thing.

Whenever I found myself stuck, I usually resorted to visiting StackOverflow.com. There are a lot of helpful folks there that can help guide you through the problem. I used them a lot, and contributed back as much as I could too. And that's it! I haven't learned everything, but it's enough for me to start something myself, without spending too much on hired help. So if you decide to go through the process, remember to be patient, and give time to adjust yourself to think like a programmer. Good luck!

djbaxter likes this.