Any one in the home service industry? [hiring question]

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:7)

I work for a small appliance repair company as an office manager, and we have the worst time finding technicians. We've gotten by OK with people we know either from other jobs or through networking, but those run out pretty quick such a specific field. I have hiring experience from past positions, but hiring techs seems like a whole new world. We've tried hiring family of our techs and that's been a disaster as well. Any advice on how to find and hire good techs is appreciated.

I know a guy that hired his brother-in-law to work for him.
He was such a screw up and lazy as hell, but wouldn't take ANY of the responsibility.

He finally fired the guy, and HER BROTHER told his sister, not the husband.
Her husband hid being fired for more than 2 weeks.

Though, the sister blamed her brother for all of it!
And then the family drama got ugly.
Family gatherings got so bad, he just stopped going.

So #1 rule in my book when it comes to hiring family members?
Don't.

I came across this article that talks about it as well. It has some good points: Housecall Pro

Hope this helps and good luck.

Yeah, we found that family of techs is also not a great idea -- we hired the brother of one of our techs and he was flighty, under-experienced, and subordinate -- though I feel like those are the obstacles you face with any one you might hire. I did a round of hiring for seasonal help when I worked at the food court in the mall and I had the perfect candidate on paper, great interview, turned out to be an absolutely horrid hiring decision. Hiring is just scary.