Agree? If Selling Makes You Feel Sleazy, You're Doing It Wrong

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Edvin

MVP
Top Contributor
In a perfect world, I absolutely agree.
In a real world, I absolutely disagree.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who is "completely" transparent while selling him/herself via their resume and job interviews; so, why is a sales profession under scrutiny.

We certainly need to be ethical; but, customer dialog is one of many components of a larger system.
For example, strategic pricing, discounts, up-selling, negotiations, design, color psychology, etc are all control knobs that help an organization strives to meet and exceed sales forecast.

Should you disclose that your competitor is having a sale for the same price item?
Is the author going to still support her position if failure to meet sales quota will result in closing a factory; thereby, laying-off 10,000 employees from a small town?

We can get into philosophical discussion and apply ethical decision theories (subjective relativism, cultural relativism, divine command, ethical egoism, kantianism, utilitarianism, social contract, ...); and philosophers are first to point out the strength and weakness of each theory, so it isn't too hard to argue in favor/against the author.

Everyone works within some kind of an ethical framework.
That means that sometimes being "sleazy" is the most ethical way to move forward.

I liked below ethical framework from ethical for the information age, so I'm including for reference.
38868766645_111024e365_z.jpg

Last edited:
Came across this article from Pia Silva:

Do you think she's right?
I absolutely love that article! I think she is right on target.

1. If you feel "salesy", you are probably not being authentic, and the person you are talking with will feel it too. It is uncomfortable for everyone involved

2. Who wants to "trick" someone into being a customer anyway? How do you think that relationship is going to go?