• The forum topics have been reorganized and expanded to make it more comprehensive and easier to navigate. Let us know what you think!

Advertising in the Local Weekend Insert?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:3)

Lisa B

Hi there, I am consider trying an ad in the weekend newspaper insert for my immediate area because many locals are still shocked to learn there is a juice bar right here. It is not a coupon book, but more of a local events and happenings section of the Sunday paper. Lots of restaurants and local business advertise in it. Has anyone ever gone this route and found it helpful? It would cost me about $270, or $143 for a package of 6 ads (one ad every Sunday for month and half). Doesn't seem like much, but when you have newspaper, radio and online marketers calling every day I have to pick and choose who gets my pennies.

djbaxter

Administrator
That doesn't sound bad, especially the 6 ad package (depending on the circulation of the paper).

Worst case scenario is you get yourself a tax deduction. :)

djbaxter

Administrator
Advertising expense.

It's possible it's different in the US but I think that's pretty standard. It's a cost of doing business.

djbaxter

Administrator
Really? Check first. Maybe US tax laws don't allow that as a deduction. In Canada, entrepreneurs get a lot of tax breaks.

Lisa B

I will be checking. In fairness to CPA, I didn't give him much time for turnover, lol!

Lisa B

I am trying to follow up on my posts. This one is tough to call. My weekend town insert has run twice. I also have been in three high school sports flyers. I ask all my customers how they find us (response: facebook, referrals, yelp, google, driving by, yard sign...) I have not heard from flyer or insert folks at all. I did not do a coupon, so it seems to be inconclusive.

We are having a better month over every other month this Summer, although October should be a slower time for a juice bar. I did so many initiatives over the summer, I think they are starting to pay off collectively. I feel like I am trying with all my might to turn the Titanic, lol. Fortunately- I do think I have stumbled on a brilliant idea that I look forward to writing about later. Send me good vibes!!!

Also ONE of the two closed businesses next to me finally opened for business and brings their existing following. The other place on the other side STILL not opened. :( They too should have a following, so I pray they open soon!!

roneidaselva

Certain types of people read the newspaper in each particular region. Before you even begin your advertising campaign, look at the trends provided by the Newspaper Association of America and determine which group you're trying to reach. The average newspaper page is actually quite large - and basic black text is almost unnoticeable.

Lisa B

Wow ronaeidaselva, I did not know about the Newspaper Association of America as a resource. Yes, I do feel the weekend ad was a bust unfortunately. And I think I just said "Hold my beer!" by shifting over to ValPac coupon envelope mailer for 6 months. I will let you know how that goes.

I can say, the last 6 months our store has been steadily busier. Most of those new customers when asked how they found us (we are hard to find) say "google", yelp, facebook, a friend referral, or just driving by for the past year and finally decided to stop in.

Whatever it is- I am praying it sustains while I attempt to switch focus back to bookkeeping- I am woefully behind because I took off that hat to sort of save the store.

Latest posts