JasonW

Hope this is the best spot for this question.

As I said in my introduction post, I manage a couple restaurants in busy SoCal. I've noticed over the past couple years that socially it has become very important to accept and encourage everyone. People of all races, religions, sexualities, etc. And I don't know a lot about social justice, but I have heard of people losing their jobs for being gay, or Muslim, and I want to make sure my employees know that they are secure in their jobs until their actual job performance suffers severely or they leave. I also want to make sure people know that no matter their origin or identity they can apply at my restaurants and be considered just as much as anyone else.

My problem: my restaurants are in one of the most conservative parts of Orange County. Most of the residents are pretty wealthy (and white, if it isn't rude of me to say), so it's not like I can post this stuff on Facebook or hang a rainbow flag in the window. I also don't want to look like I'm going "oh look at me I'm so accepting and nice." I just want to be the change I wish to see in the world, I guess.

How do I handle this issue tactfully?

djbaxter

Administrator
Can you create a sign for employees' only areas of the restaurants? And an upfront sign that is more generic, saying something like "We are an equal opportunity employer"?

@djbaxter - I like your idea, but I don't know how much that would help @JasonW when he's attempting to hire new employees. But it solves half the problem.

This is obviously easier said than done, but maybe your restaurant(s) could join a community effort that benefits minorities? Like provide a donation to your local LGBTQ Center (if you have one) or a nearby university's minority studies department? Or have current employees volunteer at a pride run or other event. The people who need to see that message will see it, but those who don't care won't really notice unless you make a huge deal out of it.

@JasonW - I really admire your commitment to employment equality! Social activism and intersectional equality are two things I'm very passionate about, so if you'd ever like to chat about similar issues, let me know!

Top Bottom