BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Andy

Andy Entrepreneur

Hi Zac,

Firstly, thanks for donating your time to come on Entrepreneur Fix and answer our questions, it's always great to be able to gather the first-hand thoughts of an industry veteran.

My question is potentially boring and a bit of an old age one but:

What are your top, must-read book recommendations for any entrepreneurs out there? Whether they be autobiography, informational etc I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Zac Johnson likes this.

2. Zac Johnson

Zac Johnson Entrepreneur

I'll be the first to admit, I don't like to read books. As much as everyone says how important they are to their business and that it's helped them find success, it's simply not the case for me.

I prefer to learn through online guides, tutorials, case studies, podcasts and through hands on experiences.

However, if you are looking for a simple book that will put you in the right mindset of how to continually adapt your business for the internet and all of it's ever changing components, I recommend Who Moved My Cheese? -- it's a dead simple and short read, but still has a ton of value.

The Tipping Point and Cashvertising are also two good books I recommend.

doodles67 and Ladyferoz like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Entrepreneur

Excellent thanks @Zac Johnson I'll check those out. I've read Cashvertising previously and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm much the same as you and only in the past few months managed to find myself reading books, now I can't get enough.

4. Zac Johnson

Zac Johnson Entrepreneur

I have a lot of books on my shelf (bought and given), but I usually only make it into the first few pages :)

5. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I have never heard of that one, but I have to say it sounds intriguing. Anytime cheese is in the title you have to bet that it is interesting. Short and to the point is also a big plus, and I will have to check this one out. I am always looking for soem good recommendations so I am glad that you have an entire bookshelf full.

6. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

Aside from all the motivational/helpful books, sometimes I will pick up something totally unrelated, like a novel or something.

Sometimes all I need is a little destresser to get my motivation back.

7. Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution

Tyler Bell|MYB Revolution Entrepreneur

Well, I on the other hand am a book worm. Of the books I like to read 'As A Man Thinketh' and 'The Science Of Getting Rich' are some pretty good classics. 'Fahrenheit 451' is another great fictional novel based around the truth and current struggles of society, even though it was before the current advances in technology it's pretty accurate in a somewhat abstract way, it's also based around a world without books :p.

azgold likes this.
  8. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I admit when it comes to get inspiration for business ideas, or learn business management lesson, I always look online. It takes a lot of time to read a books, but online article is easy to read and we also save time. However, we must be aware that everything shown by Google search may not be useful though.

9. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Sounds like we read the same kind of books!

Loved F451. I haven't read it in a long time, should dig it out and enjoy it again.

I also like Tony Robbins. I'm currently reading Awaken the Giant Within for the second time.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Thanks for sharing those book recommendations, guys. Really helpful! :)

Well, I am not really into self-help and marketing books, I am actually more interested in novels, and they're also good source of inspiration and motivation to me such as the book, "Life of Pi" by by Yann Martel.

11. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

'Rich dad poor dad' by Robert Kiyoski is my favorite book on fiances. My other recommendation would be 'Think and grow rich' by Napoleon Hill.

12. Michelle Bondesio

Michelle Bondesio Business Owner Entrepreneur

Useful marketing / promotion related books:

Pitch Anything - by Oren Klaff
    Badass - about creating excellent user experiences - by Kathy Sierra
    Positioning - by Al Ries and Jack Trout

And for personal development purposes:

Growth Mindset - by Carol Dweck
    Learned Optimism - by Martin Seligman
    Mastery - by Robert Greene

:)

13. Spirit

Spirit Entrepreneur

Napoleon Hill's 'Think and Grow Rich'. It's a time-honored classic that loads of people stick high on their lists but for me it's one of the best out there for focusing on the right mindset and embracing action. It's not a perfect book by any means but it's a great one for getting your head in the right space.

14. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

You are right, Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson is a really good book in my opinion. If you are looking to change then read it, however, it is a short and simple book so if it is too expensive where you live, I do not recommend it.

15. Trixen

Trixen Entrepreneur

Is it weird if I relate The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli to entrepreneurship? I like strategic books. Art of War by Sun Tzu is also a great read but I had a hard time decoding them at first. Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki is on top of my list too.

16. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

Most of the books I'd like to recommend have already been mentioned by the others here. I generally would echo these recommendations: Who Moved My Cheese / As a Man Thinketh / and Art of War
    Also, another book by the same author as Who Moved My Cheese that I'd like to recommend is "The One Minute Manager" It's a fairly easy read, and I think is very helpful in dealing with your employees. I believe knowing how to handle your employees well can help your business succeed.

17. doodles67

doodles67 Entrepreneur

I loved Who Moved My Cheese, but my favorite motivation book remains How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

18. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

You've heard about Trump University and how "bad" it was right?

Well, it wasn't that bad. But, if you can, get your hands on the book "Wealth Building 101", you would have basically gained everything useful that Trump University had to offer.

Also, I would definitely read Linchpin by Seth Godin.

Finally, I don't know if it can be called a book but there is a guide out there by Inc Magazine on keeping track of financials. I think its important, even critical if you want to earn more.

19. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

I wish somebody suggested an online subscription magazine or newsletter. I find it taxing to read an book from cover to cover. I wonder if there is someone who has read the book 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad? Ultimately, I believe that these are only guides or templates. One has to learn from their experiences and those of others and apply them to their unique situation.

20. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Well, you don't have to read any book from cover to cover. You can read selectively. The best writers will always make selective reading easy.

Also, experience is something that others will always have in greater amount than you - collectively. So if someone has written something down, whether it's a book, or an article, about something, that would be really useful because it is based on their experiences.

You can always look at interviews online.Or you can talk to industry leaders using sites like clarity.fm or connect with them at conferences.