BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Short answer: Never.

When I was little I always wanted to be a "secretary" who sat at a desk, typed on a computer, and wore power suits (it was the 80's). It wasn't until I became an adult that I realized that was actually the description of a manager, executive, leader, or even an entrepreneur. So this is something I've always wanted to do and I'm happy I made that happen. I am truly living my dream and doing what that little girl always wanted to do. Except for the power suit part. Those went out of style a long time ago. Pajamas, a sweat suit, or a robe will suffice just as good. However, when I am out conducting business or errands, I am dressed professionally.

As far as actual reasons why I would never go back to a day job. Those would be:

1. Never having to sit in traffic ever again.

2. Never having to say, "Good Morning" every single day to every single person who walks in the office ever again. I don't know why I hated that so much. I am not a morning person and I hate talking while I am still getting adjusted to the daylight.

3. Never having to use an alarm clock.

4. Never having to leave my warm bed/home during the cold months. I endured some years of crazy winter weather during college in San Francisco and longed for the days I no longer had to walk up steep concrete hills in the fog, drizzle, wind, and cold.

What about you?

K likes this.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think a lot depends on the individual when it comes to what work they prefer to do. I know somebody who started their own business and it was doing quite well, but he couldn't get used to the lack of structure in his life. He was used to working 9-5 everyday, and getting a pay check at the same time every month.

Sometimes having your own business can be hard work and I think.a lot of people will think about giving it up at one point or another.

3. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Yes :D First of all, my main goal is not to be a top entrepreneur, but rather become financially independent. Also, my personal goal is to become a doctor. Of course that at some point I will want to open a private practice, but if this doesn't happen, I won't mind, because I want to help people all my life.

4. mtayp01

mtayp01 Entrepreneur

Right now I have a pretty 'okay' day job, and I'm working towards becoming a really successful entrepreneur after having amassed enough savings for me to do so. So, if I ever get to the point where I've finally established my own business, I don't think I'd ever go back to having a day job again. Entrepreneurship is really what I want to do, and the goal that I'm working towards.

5. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

It sounds like entrepreneurship is your side job, while becoming a doctor is your main career. I still think entrepreneurship will help tremendously once you become a doctor. Especially if you plan to have your own private practice. So I guess in your case, the question may be:

Would you ever retire from your private practice and work at a hospital with a salary?

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

It really depends on what my current situation is. If my business is already going down in flames and on the verge of bankruptcy, then I really think it is time to give up being entrepreneur for a while, just be more practical and apply for a day job. When things have finally gotten better on my end, then I might start planning another business.

Kathryn M. likes this.
  7. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Sounds like a good plan based on realistic reasons. If the business is going down anyway, returning to a day job can be a nice break from entrepreneurship for awhile. It can help you gain perspective. Six months after working for someone else can make you appreciate being on your own. You may feel energized and motivated to try your business again, even after a crash and burn. Or, in six months time you may feel you are exactly where you should be, enjoying the comforts of not having to deal with the cons on entrepreneurship.

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Entrepreneur

With the advent of the internet, its more possible than ever for people to set up income streams from the comfort of their own homes. I've worked for over 25 years in corporate environments, and although I do miss the social elements of these environments, I don't miss the environment itself. I always thought that the biggest problem I would face while working from home would be the motivation to work as hard as I would within someone elses company but that has never been a problem for me. I've found that I can't wait to start working most days, and as soon as I've got up, I'm turning on my computer and starting tasks before I've even started drinking my morning coffee fix. Likewise, at the end of my working day, I'm far more likely to keep going long into the evening as I have no journey home through snarling traffic ahead of me.

9. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

Definitely. As long as I could do the work I love, I wouldn't really care where I'd have to work. However, it would be nice to have my own practice. My biggest dream is not to become a doctor, but to have children who will also become doctors. I dream at my own legacy. :D:D

10. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

What a great legacy! Do doctors run in your family, or are you the first doctor in your family? I just realized I don't have any doctors in my family. I have a few relatives who work as nurses and medical assistants, but no doctors. I think if I were to ever become a doctor, it would be a dentist. They make great money and healthy teeth are so important. Plus, I have had the same dentist since I was a kid and I love him. I don't think I could be a surgeon or anything like that. Way too much blood!

11. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

I'm not even into medical school yet. Had I earned .3 points this year, I would have been accepted in the medical school. Yes, I am the first one. I don't like dentistry, though. I don't think most of the dentists do this because of their passion, but rather for money. Well, I love Medicine and, hopefully, I will have a private practice one day. Still a long way to go, though.

Kathryn M. likes this.
  12. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

At a certain age I would definitely consider it. If someone were to buy my company for a large amount of money then I will sell it. I've always dreamt of retiring at a young age maybe 30 or 35. I have bigger dreams than my business and that is to travel, volunteer and live peacefully by the beach or in the mountains.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think even the people that enjoy the work they do, are ultimately only doing it for one reason. Money. Everybody wants a life were they won't have to worry about their finances and can afford to live comfortably, even if being a millionaire isn't your goal.

Once you have achieved the financial level you want, then I think I'd you've got were you want to be, then you've worked hard enough to be able to then do what you want with your working life, sell your business and retire, get a day job or keep your own business ticking over.

The hardest part is getting into that financial position in the first place.

Kathryn M. likes this.
  14. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

You are only partially correct. Of course all of us want money. However, what most of the people looking forward to achieving financial independence is... FREEDOM or the so called "f**k you money". If your life isn't conditioned by earning money, you could easily improve every aspect of your life knowing that there isn't any pressure and that, no matter what happens with the market, you will be fine.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Isn't being financially secure the same as having financial independence or freedom? If you no longer have to worry about money, you can then concentrate on improving the other aspects of your life as you say.

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet to be honest, either way we both want to be financially secure enough to be able to enjoy or life.

16. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I hear ya. However, I am not sure if I would ever sell my business. Even the thought gives me a cramp in my stomach. If anything, I would work until I was tired of it, then most likely pass it on to my children.

I agree with that, and it's pretty much what I am after at this point in the game. When I was young and just starting out, I always dreamed of my own business and wanted to do it for fun. By the time I completed college, I was kinda over it. But I didn't want a day job. I preferred to continue waking up without an alarm and sit comfortably in my home and work in my pajamas. I still love my work, but at the end of the day, work is work, and it has to be done regardless if the fun has worn off.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

In regards to the fun wearing off, I think as you get older and you take on more responsibilities the fun will inevitably wear off as we put ourselves under increasing pressure to make the business work.

When you first start out, well for me anyway, there wasn't really any costs or bills I had to pay, and if a business venture failed then it would just be a case of starting again with another idea. As you get bills to pay though, it becomes a lot more serious as you know that failure isn't an option, especially if you have ren due at the end of the month.

18. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Exactly. The stakes get higher as time goes on and as you grow older. You start to realize the true cost of things, and what can potentially be lost if you do not perform.

I think that's when I started taking "exit strategies" more seriously. When you first start a business, it's fun and you are excited, but you never think of how you will get out of it one day if it fails or if you just change your mind. Now that I am more experienced, I know to include some kind of exit plan from the very beginning of starting any new project in case the workload becomes more than I thought it would be, or if the costs turn out higher than anticipated.

pwarbi likes this.
  19. SC93

SC93 Entrepreneur

I could never go back to working for anyone. Since 1995 I have worked for myself and I have had several employees through the years. Even at the lowest point, it has all been much better than working for someone else.

20. Luxury_Auto_Group

Luxury_Auto_Group Entrepreneur

I've worked 'day jobs' my entire life. Still currently work in one; run my business on the side. Since I have the best of both worlds, I really find it easy to like the entrepreneur side of things. I don't own a business to "work my own hours" or "because I don't fit in the 9-5 life". I do it because I provide a service to people. That's really why we're entrepreneurs. Anyone who does it for the money, or does it because they want to create their own hours, is in it for the wrong reasons. We're problem solvers.

Digressing, I would never leave the entrepreneur side of my journey. Not even if I was offered 100k/yr to work for a large corporation or firm. I would do it in addition to my side business, but not outright. I enjoy the freedom. I enjoy the fact that I can work as much as I want to. I determine my income. Sure the paycheck may not always be as steady as I want it to be, but in the end, I know that I am the one who decides when, and how much, I get paid. I love the thrill and the learning process of entrepreneurship. LOVE IT.