BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

There is a recent directive in the Philippines regarding working hours of informal employees. The department of labor requires a maximum of 14 hours of work to constitute a day. That means amid the overtime pay, a worker cannot exceed that time except maybe when there are emergency cases. This is in line with the health concerns because recently there were deaths due to undue fatigue.

2. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

14 hours is a little extreme IMHO. Most people work 9:00 to 5 PM. There are some who work more hours but that should be the average number of hours someone should be working for in a day. Overworking your workers will most likely make them unproductive. If someone wants to work more hours because they choose to that's fine but if they don't want to they shouldn't be forced to. Everyone wins.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I know that here in the UK there's a limit as to how many hours you can work in a week, but you can opt out of that if you wish and work more.

While I have always opted out, its got to be that persons own individual choice and as an employer I wouldn't try and persuade anybody to do that, as its got to come down to that persons circumstances and be their own decision.

4. Biju

Biju Entrepreneur

Hold up, you mean a 14 hour work day is standard there? That's awful. No wonder US companies outsource like that. They paying way less for way more hours. It's deplorable.

Valerie likes this.
  5. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

My sentiments exactly! Holy crap, I could never work that much in one day. No one people are dying.
    I remember my father putting in 14 hours sometimes at the rail yard. He'd be delirious for days after that. At one point,
    his health deteriorated enough to land him in the hospital. He came out all right, thanks to rest.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While we might think that a 14 hour work day is extreme, I bet it's not that uncommon though to be honest if we think about it.

Most contracts are for 8 hours a day, with about 90% of the people who have worked for me sticking to that. There are a few who work 10 hour days as and when asked, and some that want extra hours as overtime, so call it 12 hours a day. That's only 2 less than the 14 we're talking about here.

I myself are actually in the office from 6am, and leave around 6pm, but when I get home I'm doing other things involved with the business so it all mounts up when you think about it that way.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

I have heard about that news and I think it's more for the people in the entertainment industry. Recently, there had been deaths due to over-fatigue involving the staff in the production of a certain movie or television series, I cannot remember which one. So one association for the entertainment industry started rallying against the hours of work they have to endure during filming. Mostly, the crew behind the film are the ones that suffer when it comes to their health.

Anyway, from where I am, if you work in the office, the usual hours are from 8 AM to 5 PM which isn't too bad. My niece works for a supermarket, a well-known and chain, and she works for 12 PM to 9 PM. She is a little bit under compensated for she has a salary of about 380 pesos per day or a little over 10 USD.

So I think that as long as the work is compensated well, why not? I would work longer if that is the case. But in the case of my niece, she works such a long time and she is a cashier so she just stands up as well and she is paid a very little amount. That's the way that it works from where I am. Many hours of work = not enough pay.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I often hear employers saying that they can't get good staff these days, or that people don't want to work, but I don't think that's true. People just don't want to work every hour God sends, but for hardly any money and that's what contracts these employers are offering, so is it any wonder they can't get good staff?

If you pay people a good enough wage for the job they do, they will be prepared to put in the extra hours as and when required, and that's the way I've always ran my business.

9. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I don't believe in the concept of a "work-life" balance. But, 14 hours a day is still an absurd amount of time. Here's why - you can't be productive for 14 hours straight. The standard time is 8 hours for a reason. But, 8 hours is standard for employees not for employers.

If you're an entrepreneur and you're not working for 10-12 hours a day, you're going to hurt your business. When I get tired, I get on calls, but I don't stop working. You can't stop working.

10. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I agree that employees should not be pressured to exceed a normal eight hour workday, however, as a business person I regularly put in 12 hour days and many others put in more than that. I have a friend that works in an ER in NYC. He regularly puts in eighteen and twenty hour days.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

An employer is going to put in more hours than an employee does, because in my case I know that the more hours I out in, the more the business will grow and that will benefit me.

I'm not saying my employees don't care about their job or the business, they just don't care as much but that's obviously how it's going to be.

12. Biju

Biju Entrepreneur

At a hospital in California they limited the nurses to 12hrs days for no more than 3 days in a row, then they'd get 2 days off. Sometimes they'll do 4 days if the unit is short staffed but, then the nurses get paid overtime.

It's scary to think a nurse has been working 18 - 20 hour days. I would not want that nurse near my bedside at all. Especially if they had been there for more 12 hours, after that fatigue can set in and that's how mistakes happen.

When we're discussing 14 hour days you're talking 14hrs in a factory with maybe one day off. So, I find comparing executives who works for 14hrs while sitting at a desk does not compare to someone who is doing manual labor for 14hrs without very much time off. Not to mention, they're also making squat.

pwarbi likes this.
  13. jona

jona Entrepreneur

The mere concept of "working" hours is so outdated, specially for intellectual professions, people should really think about working to reach objectives and not working to fill some hours, if you have a clear plan with very well defined objectives what's the difference between accomplishing everything in 3 or 14 hours?

14 hours is absurd, the law of diminishing returns has to kick in eventually, if you force people to work that many hours the actual productivity will decline to the point where adding more hours actually starts impacting the quality of the work being done, not to mention that the whole thing is close to being exploitation.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Here in the UK, the NHS revised all of their contracts when it came to working hours for doctors and nurses, as you often found a lot of them were working 14/15 hour days.

Working that many hours doing paperwork is one thing as mistakes made aren't ideal but can be rectified. When your making life and deaths decisions like some of the emergency care workers were, mistakes due to over-tiredness can cost lives.

15. Biju

Biju Entrepreneur

This exactly. Even on the floor it's unsafe to overtired nurses to treat patients. If they're having to calculating medications and overdose a patient by accident or miss something due to being exhausted, they can very well accidently kill the patient.

pwarbi likes this.
  16. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Well, there are quite a few airlines that are known for making airline pilots work for outrageously long hours. This is an incomplete list of accidents caused by pilot fatigue: link. The most recent crash caused by pilot fatigue occured just a few weeks ago in Russia- the Flydubai airliner crashed killing all the people onboard: link.

Anyone working in such a sensitive and critical profession should be given enough time to recover and recuperate.

17. Biju

Biju Entrepreneur

I could not agree more. Simply put operating heavy machinery or being overtired in the operating room is NOT okay. You are just putting too many lives at risk.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

In this day and age though, employers should be caring more about their employees than ever before but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If an employee is treated fairly, then they will work harder for you but if you're asking them to work 24/7, when mistakes are made you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

19. Slique

Slique Entrepreneur

But jeezum?!! That is utter madness to say the least! Don't they (employers/government) realise that this method will in the long run or it might be nearer than they foresee, cause more problems for themselves?! Of course workers will become fatigued and sadly of course some of them will keel over.

Overwork is extremely unhealthy and should never be encouraged. I posted a similar topic just yesterday about workacholics as it is something I've come to realise that overwork is a major contributor to health issues like fatigue, heart attack, dementia and so on based on personal research and observation. Even if you're being compensated in some way, I don't believe it is truly worth it. You'll work so much that you won't have time to take care of yourself.

20. saraedward

saraedward Entrepreneur