BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Isaac Kieffer

Isaac Kieffer Entrepreneur

Recently been having troubles with business and need to create a blog/website with little funds.

I have looked into Wix and WordPress and Wix is far easier to use so that I can create my own website and have it working soon without breaking the budget. What is your opinion on Wix vs. WordPress?

2. Raisa Shafiyyullah

Raisa Shafiyyullah Entrepreneur

I think it depends what type of website do you need. If you just need a simple informational website, yeah Wix is a good option. But if you need blogging platform, then i would recommend wordpress. It's mainstream and you can tailor it to your needs. I would recommend buy a decent hosting like $4-$6/mo, then find nice wordpress template (maybe around $20-$50) and install it there. Then you can start adding your content. PM me if you need help with websites :)

3. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Well, first of all, what do you want exactly, a website or a blog? I mean, a blog is technically a website too but we are talking about very different mediums and content for each case. If you want to start a blog, go with Wordpress hands down, that's the platform that's going to offer you everything you need. We aware though, you can't monetize your blog if you are going to use a free Wordpress.com, you can't place AdSense ads, for instance.

If you want both things, that is, a website that has a blog section, look into cheap hosting solutions that allow you to host a wordpress blog alongside your regular site, if your Wordpress blog is self hosted, you can add everything you want to it, including ads.

azgold, T J Tutor and Isaac Kieffer like this.
  4. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

Wix is a website builder.You can use drag and drop to create great website. Wordpress is a Content Management System as well as a blogging platform. You can monetize a free wix website, but you cannot monetize a free wordpress site. If you use wix premium service you will have to pay $6 per month to get a self hosted site, however, self hosted wordpress site is expensive.

T J Tutor likes this.
  5. Isaac Kieffer

The website is going to offer a service and an area for them to ask me specific questions. The blog is more for general information and mainly to bring traffic to the website. Since the niche is real estate, the blog will pay a huge role in proving my education and qualifications to provide the service. WIX has a google AdSense attachment for ads but I'm more concentrating on getting the customers to use the service. Considering I hear WIX has bad SEO throughout there program, would it be possible for me to switch the website over to WordPress in the future when more funding is available?

6. Isaac Kieffer

So you're saying WIX would be cheaper. What do you exactly mean by monetize? The biggest concern I have with WIX is if the blog will bring in traffic, I would like to have good SEO on my blog post as it is how I am trying to bring in traffic.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Hmmm... Although Wix is easier to setup, I would still say that WordPress is a far better and complete choice. But let's discuss the advantages of both websites first:

Wix

• All templates are free if you become a premium user.
    • Even as a free user, you can access all the features of the site although there's a limited bandwidth.
    • Very easy to setup and understand.
    WordPress
    • Very popular and most people know about it.
    • Easy to understand in the long run.
    • Can change the theme without affecting the content.
    • Very flexible when it comes to plugin options.
    Wix has some downsides though. For one, it loads slowly because they rely on Flash and the setup of their pages as well. You need to wait at least 10 seconds before a page properly loads for you. Another issue is it isn't that flexible and there aren't many plugins since it's closed source.

WordPress, on the other hand, takes some time to understand and you might not get it the first time. But when it comes to all other aspects, WordPress wins hands down as compared to Wix.

Whatever you choose, there's always going to be a downside and upside. For me, Wix might certainly work for some people and that's good. For your first year, Wix even gives a few discounts. So yeah, it's up to you on what site you will decide on. You can always change it if you're not satisfied with it. Good luck!

8. Isaac Kieffer

Thank you for the information! Considering I have little to no technology background (coding and design). How difficult would it be for me to make the website or majority of the website myself? WIX is extremely easy. The only problems with WIX so far are that the loading time is slow (which they say you can fix) and the SEO for the blog.

Li Jean-Luc Harris likes this.
  9. jona

jona Entrepreneur

It also has to do with how much are you willing to invest, since you actually want the website to attract customers to your real business and not to monetize content then you could use free services like WIX, just a word of caution, if you are not willing to invest anything be aware that people arriving at your webpage will soon realize that you are using a free hosting provider, I don't know how much this is going to affect the trust of your customer considering that you mention that your niche is real state so I am guessing hat your visitors expect a more professional kind of thing.

If you are worried about the actual design process there are other hosting providers that offer you the whole package: Your domain name, hosting for your website and powerful and professionally designed pre built templates that you can choose and customize without any previous coding experience by dragging and dropping stuff. Some of these providers also offer you other modules for your website like online stores and I guess blogging tools too.

I am not a SEO expert though so I can't tell you much about the difference between using free services vs paid ones on this context.

Isaac Kieffer likes this.
  10. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

@Isaac Kieffer

Well, there are a ton of resources online that could help you with regards to coding. Here are some Wix tutorials from their site itself:

And here's the link for the WordPress tutorials:
    I'm pretty sure you can do the coding yourself as well as the design. Other popular bloggers right now started out with no knowledge of coding at all and ended up being successful after a few trials and error. So good luck!

11. scaleclack

scaleclack Entrepreneur

I don't even have to think about it. WordPress!
    Though I'll just emphasize that wordpress.com is a free blog and wordpress.org is for the site where you have to pay for the hosting. For the hosting, you can find cheap WordPress hosting sites out there like In-Motion Hosting which can autoinstall the platform for you for free. It also comes with a lot of WordPress themes which you can customize to fit your site.
    If you're looking for more themes, there are sites like theme-junkie where you can pay per theme or pay once every year for unlimited use of their themes.
    When it comes to plug-ins, there are a lot to choose from.
    And as WordPress is very popular, it is easy to get help and advice whenever you encounter any problems.

12. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

13. GoHawt

GoHawt Entrepreneur

I always go with WordPress.

14. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

I think Wix is great if you just want to do a couple of pages to sell an item from Clickbank or some other affiliate website. For that, the free webpages are hard to beat and are very practical. But if you have any intention of scaling your website up and make it a full business with a store or information or whatever, I would go with Wordpress. Wordpress is created for long term websites and bloggers. There is also the benefit that you can decide later to flip you website on Flippa or GoDaddy. I've heard that Wix websites are harder to sell than Wix. So it all depends entirely on what you're selling and what your plans are. I personally like Wordpress because there are more tutorial on Youtube on how to create a professional website while Wix seems harder to work with. Hope that helps.

15. Rcastellon

Rcastellon Entrepreneur

WordPress is the way to go

16. Barbara Arthur

Barbara Arthur Entrepreneur

Go for WordPress. I've used it myself several times and it's pretty easy one you get the hang of it.

Wix vs WordPress

17. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I have to go alongside the others that said WordPress. I hated it initially only because I hadn't learned how to use it. Now, I love it! It isn't difficult at all, once you figure out the concept and where things are.

There are a ton of free themes and plugins to help you start up and run your site, too if you need to watch your budget.

18. Li Jean-Luc Harris

Li Jean-Luc Harris Entrepreneur

I've used every website builder out their and at the end of the day i will always go back to wordpress because i simpily own the data and i can fully customize the content and design of the website. just a tip never use wordpress.com and always head over to the self hosted wordpress. you may save some money buy using wordpress.com but in the long run you will lose out.

19. silvadavid1689

silvadavid1689 Entrepreneur

I always go with wordpress