BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

If one day you decided to check your closet and you find out that it is already crowded and no more space for new clothes to put on. What will you do to the clothes that you are not wearing anymore?

2. CheckTheNumbers

CheckTheNumbers Entrepreneur

I donate my unused clothes regularly. I spent a time without the ability to get new clothes, and ever since then, I've had a fond appreciation for thrift stores and things like that, so I like to pay it back by donating my stuff there and letting them relist it for cheap :)

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  3. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Here's what I usually do with the clothes that I'm not wearing anymore:
    • For clothes that have holes in them or that are generally tattered, I turn them into rags for cleaning the floor or the table tops.
    • For clothes that I've outgrown, I usually give them to relatives that need them.
    • For clothes that are more intimate like underwear, I'd rather turn them into rags as well since it's unhygienic to give them away.
    • For clothes that are out of fashion, I try to restyle them. I either make some old dresses into skirts or maybe some old shirts into sleeveless tops.
    • For clothes that my relatives didn't want as well, I give them to charity.
    :affiliatefix:

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  4. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I do something similar to what Briannagodess does--I recycle them. I'll turn my well-worn and threadbare t-shirts into dusting rags, for example. If the clothes are still in relatively good condition and have everything in tact, I'll donate them to the 2nd hand store down the road.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I have to admit, it's not something I do regularly, but when I do sort out my clothes I usually send any unwanted items to charity shops.

The items are usually too good to just throw out, and so at least I know that somebody is getting some use out of them.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  6. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

If I do not have another household use for old clothes and do not know anyone who can use them, I donate them to my local Salvation Army. I know the people that run it and they are truly helping people. Most of the clothes came from a thrift store anyway! :) I sometimes donate to the Red Cross. Just depends on my mood and whatever is easiest at the time. Even clothes that are damaged are used by charities - they are sold as rags.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  7. Lynda

Lynda Entrepreneur

If they are in good condition, and I don't know anyone who wants them then off to the local charity shop. If they are a little worse off then donate them to Shwop. It is a scheme where you can donate most textiles: good quality ones go to people who need them and the more damaged ones are sent for recycling as pillow stuffing etc. Anything not good enough for that gets torn up for cleaning rags.

I always wear my shoes to pieces so they just go in the bin!

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  8. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Entrepreneur

I usually donate them for the needy. It kind of makes you feel good about yourself that you are contributing something to someone else's development.
    If the clothes are really worn out and not in the condition to be donated, I usually just tear them up and use them as a wiping cloth for my vehicle or windows.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  9. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I am hesitant to reply to this thread but for the sake of honesty, I admit that I have a mountain of unused clothes in my closet. To give you an idea, we have 2 closets with 4 segments for a total of 8 segments. My husband occupies 1 segment and the safety vault plus other important items occupy another and the rest is for me. I don't have the strength to sell my used clothes or even give it away. Sentimentality always takes over.

Nancy and ReadmeByAmy like this.
  10. Federico.Gimeno

Federico.Gimeno Entrepreneur

I do check for unused clothes and things regularly. Clothes in real bad shape go to the trash, while the ones that are good but don't fit me anymore goes to the beneficence, for retirement houses and homeless people.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I do understand that people are reluctant sometimes to give their clothes away that they don't need, I was hmthe same a few months ago, but homeless charities really do need and appreciate them.

Here in the UK homelessness is on the rise and these charities do need all the help that they can get, so it is worth at least thinking about.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  12. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I donate them every year to this charity. I also donate like used notebooks which they recycle and gift it to children.

Barbara Arthur and ReadmeByAmy like this.
  13. jc banks

jc banks Entrepreneur

I give my in good repair clothes to the food bank or homeless shelter, a lot of people could use them and a lot of thrift stores are not much cheaper then new. The ones a little worn I use for quilts that make nice gifts and that I sell, and in the winter months I try to give one or two to the shelter and food bank for those in need.

ReadmeByAmy likes this.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

These are great ideas and it only shows that you can still make use of your clothes that you are not wearing in different useful ways. Thanks for sharing :)

15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

You are absolutely right! And it is really a good idea donating the clothes that are still nice and you are not wearing anymore to the less fortunate people who are in need of clothes. Charity is always indeed a nice gesture that we should always possess to help the needy even in our own little ways.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

With things like donating clothes, it might not be such a big thing for us, but for the charities it's a huge help.

I think it just goes to show that to help these people out, it doesn't have to be lavish gala dinners or thousands of pounds worth of donations, but it's also the small things that make the difference aswell.

17. Villiam

Villiam Entrepreneur

What a coincidence. The day after I donated a large quantity of old clothing, I see this post. Anyways, I always donate my old clothes. It would be possible to try and sell them for a small profit, but donating them seems to me to be the right thing to do. Can't really justify that at all, just how I feel.

18. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

@Corazon you could have a yard sale or sell on ebay and make some extra cash with all those extra clothes! Maybe you should do like I do with my children's pictures and papers - take a picture of it and store it a hard drive on my computer. :D Or what people used to do with sentimental clothing is make a quilt. If you are crafty. ;) You are missing out on a great feeling when you clean out your closets and they are all neat and not stuffed full!

19. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I go through my closet at least once every three months, if there is anything that I know I will not wear, I post pictures and ask if my friends would like them, if they do not, I give them away to charity. For expensive pieces, I sell them on an online app.

I am more and more interested in getting to a point where I only own a capsule wardrobe.
    It would save a lot of money, and time.

ea0b61a08fd3867cd997b9e17919be5e.jpg
    The only problem is my style changes often and it will be too limiting. I have started by refraining from buying online clothes, I also try and keep maximum two pairs of well fitting jeans for example.

20. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

It's difficult to answer this one. Honestly, I have to admit that my belongings have a sentimental value to me. That's the main reason why I don't sell it. Some of my old clothes are like brand new since I had worn them for one or 2 occasions only. And I have them inside a plastic cover to preserve the fabric. My husband had suggested for me to sell those clothes when we had a garage sale in 2008 but I only discarded the cheap clothes and just a few - I did that to avoid an argument. Now, this is my logic for that, I would sell my old clothes when the value would be more than the original cost.

pwarbi likes this.