BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

What are your biggest obstacles, as you see it, that prevent you from getting your business up and running?

Post what stops you from getting your business started, getting your business off the ground and running.

List them here, add your post about this question. Take a moment and list everything you feel is holding you back from getting started.

This is all about constructive response to help you realize that most fledgling business owners experience the same issues and hangups. Look for the common patterns in the statements and in my responses. All of us were Newbies a some point. We all go through the same stuff to get a foothold on our new careers in business when starting out. You are not alone, you are among entrepreneurs that have been through what you are experiencing and are here to help you get past these common hang ups and experiences that hold you back and to help you get on the road to your successes!

Your responses to this question, along with my moderated response, will form patterns that are common. This makes it easier for you to see you're not alone, that many (or most) encounter the same or similar issues when starting a fledgling business. As the thread progresses, you will see patterns forming in my responses with solutions that will help you get past your obstacles.

I will link my posted responses for each of your posts to the members usernames below!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    Kathryn M.

TedGunnarsson

dyanmarie25

ReadmeByAmy

Francis K

Joe

cjjc

Momo

Kevin A

Foxus

Alec Mosher

Sekou Larack Kaba

Jmreid - Doesn't see the opportunities he has as a business person. Loads of skills, loads of ideas, currently freelancing. This spells future success. Just got to take action!

Mwenya - Is attempting to work out time variables without a schedule. Has had success, bit seems to find the time for a new venture difficult to acquire. Be devoted to a schedule, it is imperative as an entrepreneur to become a master of time!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

2. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I've been an entrepreneur since I was a kid and it has always came pretty natural for me to just get started on whatever idea popped into my mind. However, in recent years, I would say it has been a bit harder to get up and running. I would say the following things have contributed to slower starts for me:

1. Far too many opportunities and options available to choose from. It's hard to know which ones to pick or try first. This causes a bit of paralyzation for me in getting started on something.

2. Overwhelmed by what is needed to get started. Such as funds, and the actual tasks that need to be done in order to get the project set up. A daily To Do List is crucial to eliminating overwhelm.

3. Distractions. I notice that when I look at other people and what they are doing in their business, it seems to hinder my own progress. Keeping my attention on my own business has really helped prevent distractions that stall my daily progress.

4. Lack of a plan. I am a really good planner and I like getting/keeping everything organized. However, if I do not make a To Do List, the project simply won't get done. It will drag on forever. The saying, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" is very true in my case. You can have a good idea, but if you do not write down at least the first 5 steps to getting it done, it won't get done.

3. TedGunnarsson

TedGunnarsson Entrepreneur

I want to start up a personal development business, but I need a team or a business partner. I can't start it up on my own.
    I'm the visionary leader, not the one that makes it happen "doer".
    And a business need both

Where can I find like-minded people?

JDI, hamza amtkal, Pius and 2 others like this.
  4. Capital SEO

Capital SEO Business Owner Entrepreneur

Being someone who has tried and failed several times before finding something that turned a decent profit, I believe that a lack persistence and patience is what hinders most from achieving success.

Coming from the online marketing world, I've coached several ambition and talented marketers, who have the know-how and start a project, only to drop it and move on to the next idea when success does not happen in the first few months to a year.

If you feel you have been working a project and it feels like work, you have chosen the wrong project.

Picking something you LOVE doing that does not feel like work will give you the longevity to stick it out longer than the other guy who gives up after one year of effort.

If success was easy and came quick, everyone would be successful.

Don't give up, stick to your goal and success will come in time.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I haven't tried venturing into any kind of business yet, but I am pretty interested in managing a restaurant or a book shop. Well, the things that are somehow stopping me to pursue it are financial issues and lack of experience. I still have a lot of things to learn about entrepreneurship first.

T J Tutor likes this.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Entrepreneur

It is easy to venture into any kind of business if you really had an interest and the financial capacity to fund your desired business. The location, time, determination, full knowledge and skills are also what we need if we are planning to put up a business. And these things are all that sometimes prevent me from starting a business. Before I had already experienced having a business and for me it is not that easy and a tough work as well.

Pearl and T J Tutor like this.
  7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

You are not alone. Things are harder these days to get up and running, especially with everything online. More regulations, higher degree of scrutiny, and extremely demanding public as well as a far higher degree of competition.

I know the feeling quite well. This is not a new phenomena, it happens to many that typically have an open mindset. The trick is to make a list, derived from research, of the most likely candidates that you feel best suit your interests and your needs.

You mention, "which ones to pick or try first." It is a difficult proposition to expect of yourself to think you need to try. Especially trying more than one opportunity.

One of the hallmarks of a true entrepreneur is research, it is a constant in the path of an entrepreneur. Information gathering is the forerunner to a decision in this case. It is the decision you make, based on what you research, that will culminate in a direction you will commit to. You must make a decision on one, and only one, path to take a time. You can most certainly choose a new one to add to your endeavors once you have the first one in process. You see, compartmentalizing like this keeps the confusion away. Following a process eliminates the confusion that arises from "too many opportunities". It is a simplified elimination process you require from research, narrowing the field by opportunity features, resulting in the single most likely candidate to serve your interests.

You are correct, everything we do is highly reliant on lists that are continually narrowed and updated. It is crucial to create and revise lists on a daily basis. However, this is where many drop the ball. It takes a while, a month or two in my experience with employees, staff, etc., to get them to fully integrate with this portion of schedule, maintenance, and priorities. Not following this practice often results in short cuts and procrastinations.

The money part always stymies the majority of entrepreneurial pursuits. There are specific waypoints in the progress of startups. In the funding factor, there are usually three initial waypoints. The first is the initial investment by the founder(s), and usually where most aspiring entrepreneurs trip up. We see here, and all other forums, fledgling business owners are asking how to get funding for their idea. Most have a hard time understanding that investors typically want to invest in opportunities that are already proven to be successful in some way, even in a small way and with owners that have a vested interest that is not financed by credit cards. They are not in the "funding an idea" business on average.

The dedication for ones business comes from the passion that grows with every step of fulfilling their commitment to see the success they've planned (hopefully planned). That's generally the strength that most all business owners draw on when feeling the tug of a distraction.

Well, we discussed a little already regarding lists, but planning a business is a much larger element. Far more than a list of what to do next.

A plan for a business, any business, must include forecasts, a budget, product distribution channels, product appropriation/sourcing, cost of doing business analysis, a set of books to include a general ledger along with assets statement, liabilities statement, owners' equity statement, revenues and expenses ledgers. Also a best foot forward includes getting incorporated and establishing a business checking account.

Finding excuses not to follow those protocols will on average result in never getting a business of the ground.

Following these protocols puts an individual in a vested position and most all of us will do anything required to protect our investments, especially when we are directly responsible for its'/their success(es)!

Michka.Martina, Sid, Momo and 2 others like this.
  8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

This is a pipe dream. I can tell you are new to the entrepreneurial spirit. Anyone that has ever created a startup knows that there is no such thing as an "idea" man. No one, and I mean not anyone on our planet, has ever started a business or had a job that resulted in a title called "Visionary Leader". That said, everyone that has succeeded as an entrepreneur is a visionary, but it is never their only attribute.

I have met many with the same thoughts as you, thoughts that a partnership can be forged because they were visionaries. I've been investing in businesses since 1973 and not once have I partnered with someone with only an idea to bring to the table. I have however, purchased ideas from some folks. People buy ideas, they never partner with an idea.

Sounds to me that you would benefit greatly from this forum by learning what business owners here go through to start their businesses, how they live the daily business person's life, and then learn to adopt their respective patterns and protocols so as to embolden yourself and enable yourself to startup your own business.

Being an entrepreneur is establishing a concert of activity around products, services, and/or skills, then bringing them to market in some fashion. An entrepreneur is not just a business person, they are people that have developed and honed the advanced skills of researching, collecting data, and resolving whether they can formulate an opportunity from them. It doesn't stop there, it's then that the infrastructure needs to be theorized and formulated. Then the business plan can begin.

Trying to shortcut any of this is like getting half a haircut, while you may think it's cool, it's likely no one else will!

setupdisc and Kris S like this.
  9. Luxury_Auto_Group

Luxury_Auto_Group Entrepreneur

Fear. Fear is 100% paralyzing. I'm a member over at Secret Entourage, and the creator, Pejman Ghadimi has written a book called "Third Circle Theory". He touches on this, how you react to it, and how you can overcome it. Give it a read. Top 3 books I've ever read. Probably #2.

If you don't start, you'll never achieve success. Getting started is the first step. Regardless if it's a complete failure, at least you attempted. You started, and you learned from your failure. Funds will never be just right. They just won't. You have to just start. Make it work.

Again, touched in Third Circle Theory. Give it a read. I'd attempt to explain what is said about getting distracted, but we'll be here for a while :) Feel free to PM if you wish to discuss!

setupdisc likes this.
  10. Dewlance

Dewlance Entrepreneur

omg!! Seems I am like you. I also want to open a Restaurant and even I was spend to much time on reading requirement and legal things.

This is still my dream, I can take a risk and open a restaurant but fear about failure or losing money. I have a money but I can't afford loss.

I can't open my offline business due to lack of experience.

T J Tutor likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Opening a restaurant as a first business is a big call in my opinion. I'd probably want at least a number of years in that field before I even thought about it, plus the overheads would be quite high I would have thought.

As well as the general license you'd also need public liability insurance as well as the health and safety and food hygiene certificates so you'd have to make sure you had a real chance of making it work.

12. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

This is very true. A lot of times, people win by default simply because all their competitors have dropped out of the race. They are the last person standing, so all the winnings and success automatically falls onto them. All they did was show up every day. If none of their competitors show up, or do not show up consistently, then the door is left wide open for the person who does show up every day to take over an entire market. Keep going. Be the last man standing.

13. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

That's a good way to look at it. Why even "try" an opportunity when you should be doing plenty of research first to see if it is even worth "trying". Before even trying, I should be checking out reviews, looking for proof of results, and most importantly, does the opportunity even fit my personality and goals. Normally I do engage in this kind of research beforehand, but it would probably be good to implement a strategy that allows me to dig deeper. Because the truth is, everything looks good in the beginning, but once you "crunch the numbers" or wait around long enough for someone who is actually doing the opportunity to produce results, you will discover the truth about an opportunity, before even trying it, if it is worth the time in the long run. Thanks for helping me clarify this.

T J Tutor likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

Trying a business out and actually making it work are two entirely different things also. A lot of the time you'll try something, it works so then you'll start to build a business plans and it's only then you'll come across issues you never realised you would and didn't in your trial.

Sekou Larack Kaba likes this.
  15. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Okay, so let's get this thread back on track. The title of this thread is:

What Stops You From Getting Your Business Started.

Post what stops you from getting your business started, getting your business off the ground and running.

Your
    responses to this question, along with my moderated response, will form patterns that are common. This makes it easier for you to see you're not alone, that many (or most) encounter the same or similar issues when starting a fledgling business. As the thread progresses, you will see patterns forming in my responses with solutions that will help you get past your obstacles.

Michka.Martina likes this.
  16. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I guess I would ask you first why you would be motivated to engage a start up business in which you have no experience. What is it that could motivate you to start a restaurant when you have no restaurant experience?

Let me help you with this. Your first steps to either include or exclude a start up business as viable or not for yourself is to first take stock of your assets and your experience. Write down, create a spreadsheet, a bullet list in Word, or any other tool to create and track your talents and liquidity. Once you have this itemized you can narrow the list of viable startup options to a manageable list of opportunities with which you can take action.

Say, for example, you have declared you want to have a restaurant. You look at your talents and liquidity statement and see if it's a fit. In this case, you don't have any restaurant experience and/or the financial stout to make that happen. However, maybe you like to write and you could start an online restaurant guide for your community and grade them as a critic.

Thinking about getting into business with that which is out of reach will only fuel your procrastination to take action on the more available opportunities. Start with the more available opportunities and they can possibly lead to the reality of something that at present can only be a dream.

17. Francis K

Francis K Entrepreneur

One thing that has held me back in the past is telling people about my ideas before I actually execute them. You get this great idea and you're really excited, so you tell a friend, but their reaction is very lackluster, almost defeating.

Now days I go by a "show, don't tell policy" and I don't tell any of my friends ANYTHING. I let them find out. I only talk about business ideas, plans, challenges, and successes with other like-minded entrepreneurs that are going through similar trials and tribulations. I don't have many of these kinds of friends though, which is why I joined this forum :)

Carter and T J Tutor like this.
  18. Joe

Joe Entrepreneur

For me I had small business during highschool and getting into college where I want to start a real business and make more money, my problem is getting funded. For me being in college, already in debt, I need to be funded to get material, workers, advertisement, etc. and I don't know the first place to show an investor my business plan or what anything coming from the small town I was from.

T J Tutor likes this.
  19. cjjc

cjjc Entrepreneur

I am having trouble getting started because I feel like I can't come up with a good idea or identify a need that needs to be solved.

Anil likes this.
  20. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Welcome to EntrepreneurFix