BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

Whаt stаrtuр idеаs hаvе реrsistеntly fаilеd but will suссееd in thе futurе?

Thе grоuр-buying соnсерt thаt is thе rаgе in е-соmmеrсе thеsе dаys wаs асtuаlly first triеd stаrting wаy bасk in '98 by а раnорly оf dоt-bоmb stаrtuрs. Mеrсаtа wаs оnе оf thе mоst wеll-knоwn оf thеsе, bеing bасkеd by Раul Аllеn.

Intеrеstingly, with grоuр-buying nоw tаking оff, Mеrсаtа's раtеnts wеrе рiсkеd uр аlmоst 10 yеаrs lаtеr аnd rе-lаunсhеd аs Tiррr (yеt аnоthеr Grоuроn сlоnе)

Whаt dо yоu think аbоut it?

2. jona

jona Entrepreneur

I have always wondered if all those dot com bubble companies that went under did it because the concepts were actually bad or because of pure and simple old style bad management and execution. I mean, the stories are pretty wild about companies burning all their venture capital on expensive chairs and lavish office spaces before making a single profit. People went a little insane back them.

I think it makes perfect sense to try and look for some of the ideas that were tried back then even if they failed because I am sure that a lot of that could be replicated today with a more sane and responsible approach and it could work. Some ideas were simply terrible though, there is nothing that can be salvaged from there.

3. doodles67

doodles67 Entrepreneur

I believe many of the dot com companies failed because management forgot basic business concepts. Most of them were based upon a good business plan; however, the business plan is only the start. Decisions need to be made and executed to make the business successful. The dot com companies that failed lost their initial vision and did not focus ways to make their initial idea successful. As a result, leadership did not spend money wisely and did not pay attention to the bottom line.

Some of those companies could have become very successful if they had more discipline, so it may be worth reviewing and revamping them. You can always study the history of the companies to ensure that the same mistakes are not made.