BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. MindfulEnt

MindfulEnt Entrepreneur

I'm new to entrepreneurship, but have heard that online businesses are the way to go.

Some people say web design or programming, but I don't know where to even start with these.

If you have any recommendations, ideas, books, or videos on how to cultivate the skills would be greatly appreciated!

2. CoolSpot

CoolSpot Entrepreneur

What skills do you already have?

There is a million and one things you can do for an online business, what is going to be the best fit for you is going to be heavily dependent on your current skill sets. With out knowing what you can do, all your going to get is a bunch of random ideas. Trying to start a business where a key skill required is one you don't already have is going to give you a feeling like you are drowning (unless you plan on outsourcing the core of your business). You will not only need the time required to build your businesses but to also learn the skills that you need to run that business.

A lot of skills are closely related and will help you learn at an accelerated rate due to already having certain understandings of how things work. For example, I started building websites when I was a kid, few years later I ventured into programming basic applications that I needed such as profit calculators for working out the profit margins on items I found on the internet compared to the selling price on ebay, I learnt (and still am learning as I don't tend to spend as much time as I would like doing it) how to make games, while the fields are very different the core skill sets are in essence the same.

Work out what your strengths are, how you can get those skills generating cash flow and then look at where you can expand on those skills and repeat.

Remember nothing is perfect and everything can be improved upon, so once you have your idea, look at how your competition is doing it wrong and then come up with your plan on how you are going to address that issue, that then becomes one of your key selling points.

3. Gemma

Gemma Entrepreneur

CoolSpot is right, once you know which niche you're getting into, learning the relevant skills is easy. There are many free online tutorials and websites which can help you in getting the skills you need. If you're a good writer then you can look into the possibility of running an online blog which doesn't require coding or design skills.