BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What Personal Development Books Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by Spirit, Feb 10, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Spirit

Spirit Entrepreneur

I've read more than my fair share of them over the years (e.g. all the classics such as Think and Grow Rich, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Awaken the Giant Within, The Power of Now, Conversations With God, and a whole lot more).

I've managed to get some value out of pretty much every one I've read, and while I don't want to become a 'personal development junkie' I do think there's plenty of growth opportunities to be had by reading them. I'm currently reading Rip It Up, which is a decent read.

Are there any books that you swear by?

2. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

I am a big fan of Rhonda Byrne. I recommend her 'Secret' , 'Magic' and 'Hero'. Robin Sharma's 'The leader who had no title' is also a very inspiring book and so is his 'The Greatness Guide 1 & 2.' Another book worth reading is Deepak Chopra's 'The seven spiritual laws of success.'

3. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

I like easy reads, and two of my favorites are by Spencer Johnson: a) The One Minute Manager b) Who Moved My Cheese. They're two of the books that greatly helped me. Another one that I absolutely love and swear by if you are very interested in managing your finances is George S. Clason's The Richest Man in Babylon. Just my opinion, but I think most of personal finance management books out there are derivative of this work.

Valsthrivers and bria1 like this.
  4. Spirit

Spirit Entrepreneur

I tend to agree with you on The Richest Man - that outlined all the main fundamentals of personal finance. Everyone else dresses it up in different ways but intrinsically they're all saying the same thing.

I've also read those Spencer Johnson books and particularly liked Who Moved My Cheese. Such an easy read but a strong underlying message.

ruener79 likes this.
  5. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

I think all of the books by Dale Carnegie are an absolute must in terms of personal development. At one point in your life you will face some problem which may cause you stress or anxiety, etc. At that time, all the positive sounding books don't work as well. What works is psychological techniques that actually have worked for over half a century. So, Dale Carnegie - read his books.

6. Pablo Diaz

Pablo Diaz Entrepreneur

I just got through listening to How to Win Friends and Influence People on my morning commute into work, took me about a week and a half. I have to say, just listening to the book for an hour each morning completely changed my mindset for the rest of the day.

The book is filled with actionable ways to improve your social skills and how to "win friends and influence people". I think its a must read for any entrepreneur.

It reminds you that you can set yourself up for success just by the way you communicate with others. I've always heard how 90% of entrepreneurship is networking and communication and I can understand how if there was a person that could perfect the principles explained in this book they could be extremely successful/like-able.

7. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

Who moved my cheese...is excellent. I forgot all about this book and how important it is for all people who want to be successful. So thanks for that one....and I would also recommend "How successful people think"..this was also a great motivational read.

ruener79 likes this.
  8. ruener79

ruener79 Entrepreneur

Who Moved My Cheese is indeed an excellent book if I say so myself. I truly believe it's critical to think of CHANGE as something inevitable and being able to adapt with changes is KEY in being successful. For those who don't like to read, one can actually find an animation version on YouTube about the book. It's pretty concise and accurate to what the book actually covers. You guys might want to check it out, too.

9. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

Self development books are meant to coach readers for success. You will be spoilt for choice if you go to this section in a public library or a bookshop. There is one self development book I can reasonably advocate for if only for its reputation and media hype. It is titled Poor Dad Rich Dad. But at the end of the day, these are only guides since every life is unique and one has to write his or her own script in life.

Valsthrivers likes this.
  10. jona

jona Entrepreneur

I rather prefer to read biographies or auto biographies of successful entrepreneurs and business men /women. I get my inspiration from there. You will soon see all the habits and things that this people have in common. There is something about reading a success story that's real and meaningful that's more inspiring than any self development book.

That being said, I do read similar books sometimes when they offer actual practical advice or knowledge in how to manage a business or time management. The Pomodoro Technique is a great example of that.

11. Jack Benoit

Jack Benoit Entrepreneur

I rеmеmbеr thе first timе I gоt my hаnds оn а sеlf-imprоvеmеnt bооk. I wаs bаfflеd. Аt thаt mоmеnt I rеаlizеd my fаtе wаs nоt sеt in stоnе. I соuld bесоmе my оwn drill mаstеr аnd соасh. Thе bооks I rеаd wоuld sеt оut thе trаining соursе fоr mе tо оvеrсоmе. Аll I hаd tо dо wаs listеn tо thаt vоiсе thаt аspirеd tо сlimb highеr аnd highеr. Еvеry timе I соmmittеd tо а nеw сhаllеngе I knеw it wаs gоing tо bе оutsidе my соmfоrt zоnе, but аftеr еnоugh itеrаtiоns, I аlsо knеw it will nоt just bе pаrt оf my rеpеrtоirе, it will bе pаrt оf mе. I just turnеd 25, аnd whilе I асknоwlеdgе sоmе inhеrеnt dаngеrs in thе соnсеpt оf sеlf-imprоvеmеnt, I still bеliеvе in thе bеаuty оf sеlf-dirесting yоur lifе.