BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Web Design, is it a lucrative business?

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Ali, Nov 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

I would start a new website all the time for a business idea I would have and sometimes it would never flourish, during this time I learned wordpress very well. Im interested in starting to build a portfolio of friends businesses and go from there. The unique part would be that it would be 48 hour turnaround for a basic site for $400. What do you think of that idea and is it something that can be done full time or is this another my "hobby" ideas?

2. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Of course it can be lucrative. It's a huge market, one simply has to learn how to provide what prospective clients want and have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the needs of the clients and the business.

3. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

I appreciate you taking time to give your perspective. I feel good about it and see good profit margins already.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

It can be pretty profitable. Nothing is impossible anyway if you just try to set your heart and mind onto it. But yeah, it's only going to be very successful if you have got a lot of clients.

5. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

I'm working on a version of my main website right now. very basic but just so you guys can see my basic idea and style, again it's under construction and no where near completed. 32ndandMadison.com

6. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

It can be. However, there are a lot of websites these days that do web design for basically free.

If one is very talented and does quality work, and can be the webmaster after the site is up, then yes it can be a good way to make a living.

7. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

Web design is profitable, the hard part is finding clients. Do a good job of that, and you're set. You'll need employees so that you can handle more projects, hard to handle a large development project alone.

8. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

I will definitely be leveraging upwork to outsource the more difficult work. Thanks your input

9. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

People can make a very good living from web design. That's a lucrative business because so many people are always looking for web designers. Plus you can work from home with this so that's another huge plus.

10. 111kg

111kg Entrepreneur

If you are a beginner, then it's better to focus on your local market and see whatever gigs you can find there, at least until people start noticing you. Keep in mind that no matter how low your offer will be, there will always be a lower one so ask whatever you think your work it's worth.

As long as you keep it as a hobby, then definitely, you can earn lots of money. When you (and if) decide to do this full time, the things get nasty, mainly because the web designing sector is somehow saturated.

11. localnode

localnode Business Owner Entrepreneur

Web design is very saturated. You will need to find a niche that sets you apart from the competition.
    There will always be a need for designers as those websites that make the design for you aren't unique.
    A lot of designers post their work on Themforest - and can easily make a living off of that.

But I wouldn't make it your full-time job at the start, get some jobs from local businesses first - build up your portfolio.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

That's a good point and you beat me to it. While web design is still a popular business, with the explosion of the internet especially in the last couple of years, more and more of these businesses have started up and already become well established.

To get a foothold in the market now is going to take time, and a lot of patience but it's still achievable to make extra money with what is still a relatively simple job.

13. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

great insight guys. i started with local businesses and already got a few referrals. the first place i did a site for was a car detailing business and I traded him the site for a car detail. the next place was the barber shop i got to. and I traded him for %150 worth of haircuts. So that leads me to the my ultimate question, what is the price I should charge for a basic site?

pwarbi likes this.
  14. Marlon A. Mariano

Marlon A. Mariano Entrepreneur

hi, yes it's a lucrative business for me, but, i must admit it will toll a lot of hard work and creativity. A lot of design agency hired young very creative individual that you may think will be your best competitor and they also have the funding to market and promote their business. For you as a start up, I suggest you build an impressive portfolio to present in your future client. This is a non-stop study kind of business.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

When dealing with just local businesses they'll like the idea of the service your offering but when it comes to negotiations over payment they'll be less enthusiastic.

You say that you worked on a site for the barbers fro a certain amount of haircuts? Work out just how much that would save you. The car valeting business, negotiate to get a certain amount free of those on your car.

After a while of doing that for a few different businesses you'll be able to work out just what you should be charging to make money.

At the moment providing your service in return for another service while might not be making money, it will be saving it for you so don't look at it as if your getting nothing in return, you are, it's just not cold hard cash.

16. Ali

Ali Entrepreneur

Thank you everyone for you input, it really helps. I have did trades to build up my portfolio, one of the sites that was completed is tm3handcarwash.com - avery simple site. I think now my goal is to get a good price point for the paying customers, Im thinking $200 for a basic site. The if they need updates in the future I will charge $15 an hour. Also, Im struggling to find a good name for the web design business.