BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. EntrepreneurialSpirit

EntrepreneurialSpirit Entrepreneur

While blogs are still a big deal and undoubtedly a great way to build an audience, Vlogging (specifically YouTube videos) seems to be the new Gold Standard for content delivery. Of course this depends on what your content and target audience is.

I began with a food blog and then took the next step into food Vlogging. Vlogging is an exhaustive process when you're the cook, cameraman, editor, marketer, etc. I must regretfully say, I've become completely stagnant as I was discouraged with how difficult making consistent quality YouTube videos can be (especially for the technically challenged like myself). Does anyone have experience being a solo Vlogger? If so, what difficulties did you encounter and eventually overcome? I found doing the voice-over and editing was by far the most difficult. Also, to throw a part B in the question. Do you think maybe going back to blogging is the way to go?

Lots of moving parts here, but any information will be well received. Thanks so much?

Digsby Trace likes this.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Vlogging is really a good idea for attracting viewers and potential clients. Most people prefer to be entertained while learning, and Vlogging is totally about that. Well, I haven't really tried vlogging before, but if you're going to perform all the roles, it's really going to be exhausting. I suggest, why don't you just hire few people who would do some work for you?

3. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Entrepreneur

I think what you are doing is working hard, however I would encourage you to work smart rather than hard. I would wish you weigh your traffic and [potentially] revenue metrics as it relates to the two platforms. How much are you investing in the Blog and in the Vlog, and how much are they returning to your enterprise? If the answer is positive, I think then you should continue with the Vlogging. However to maximize on your ROI and your personal dedication into the business, you can decide to outsource the services of proficient Vloggers who can take the brunt for you, if you feel it’s quickly becoming a frustration. You will save precious time and since they are getting paid, thye will ensure their creativity doesn’t run out, otherwise they have no work! However if the Vlogging is proving to create a financial circus, then maybe you need to concentrate in your Blogging. re blog for some time and i ortant. i ere would be nothing to frustrate you. dont rest already.

4. KerBel

KerBel Entrepreneur

I reccomended using the platform that you feel the most comfortable with. I do not Vlog, but instead edit vlogs, documentaries, short films, and the like. My strong point is video editing as that is what I specialize in. If you find editing, and voice-overs a hassle you can invest in paying someone else to do it for you. That way you film your food content (yes, you will always be your own camera man), send them the footage, they handle the post production stuff, send you the finished product and all you have to do is upload. This way you have more time on your hands for marketing, and promoting your videos (or even more time to film more videos if you are up for it). You'll have more time to breathe.

5. Billy Gene Is Marketing

Billy Gene Is Marketing Entrepreneur

6. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I don't vlog personally since I'm way too camera shy, and I would hate editing video of myself talking - it just gives me the creeps for some reason. But there are several cooking blogs/vlogs that I do follow regularly and really enjoy. One of them in particular is called FoodWishes and is run by an actual trained chef. He regularly posts recipe videos, but always makes it a point to encourage you to visit his blog for the full list of ingredients as well as some other cooking notes. So he not only grows his audience on Youtube, but also uses that as a means of gaining more traffic to his actual site, which also generates ad revenue for him. I believe he also has some contract with All Recipes to produce the video content for them.

I've noticed that many of the vloggers I follow, have all invested in a good quality microphone. It really makes a difference in the quality of the videos, as it makes their voice sound clearer and warmer, and more professional overall. As for lighting, you don't really need to spend an arm and a leg to get balanced diffused light. I've seen people do it on the cheap with some bright LED lights, pointed indirectly at a cheap white umbrella as a diffuser. But even stuff like a plastic milk carton or some white poster board can also help balance the lighting, and make it softer and more even.

Digsby Trace likes this.
  7. Barnes Thomas

Barnes Thomas Entrepreneur

I am part time blogger and really inclined towards the concept of Vlogging. This concept is very popular because most people love to watch videos and learn about stuff.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Hi! I think moving to vlogging is a nice move in your part. Instead of choosing one over the other though, why not do both? Especially if you have audiences in both areas. I actually just blog as I'm not yet ready to be a vlogger, lol. But actually, many YouTube vloggers that I follow are earning money simply by putting videos of their daily lives. How cool is that, right?

So if you aren't capable of editing videos, you can hire people to do that for you. Or you can watch tutorials on how to do those. If you'd like, you can actually talk directly while doing your video, this will be a lot easier and will save you some editing time. Another must have then is a microphone. Of course, a nice camera will also help in the process.

Good luck!

setupdisc likes this.
  9. setupdisc

setupdisc Moderator Entrepreneur

There are 3 types of people in the world:
    1) Those who just want to read what you have to offer
    2) Those who want to watch a video but not read it
    3) Those who just want to listen to the audio version because they need their eyes to be doing something else.

Why limit yourself, though? You can have your cake and eat it, too!

What I would do is make a video of what you want to present, then extract the audio file from it as an MP3 (Android/PC) or FLAC (for Apple), and then run the audio through a speech recognition program, and just edit the text. That way you have not one or two, but all three of these things (and you can list them with links for people to click on). By doing this, regardless which of the 3 people you are presenting things to, you will always have your bases covered and be able to reach everyone.

The only barrier or restriction to this is that it takes just a little extra time to prepare the other 2, but if you're going for quality and completion, it's always worth it to you and to your audience to do so.

P.S: Here is a free tool that I like to use online to instantly convert any youtube video to an MP3 source. So if you didn't have any freeware programs available on your computer to get the audio version of your video, you will be able to with this site. Just paste the link for your Youtube video and select MP3 and audio only so that you can get your audio blog back out of it: The site is called: clipconverter.cc

10. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

I have been blogging/writing content since 2010, however, I was able to earn money only in 2012. I have tried my hands at vlogging, but it did not work for me. If you know how to write well, optimize your article for search engines and social media you can earn well by blogging.However, vlogging is technical. You must have skills with video capturing and video editing.

11. onlinecashcity

onlinecashcity Entrepreneur

For me, it depends on the topic.

I have researched things I would like to know about and have found both videos/vlogs and just text/blogs to both work. If you're doing something about gaming, sure vlogging would probably be better, as you can transition to game footage and things like that.

Maybe to summarize a TV show, sport event or talk about cooking, step by step instructions or a synopsis via text is good. Although vlogging could be good here, too.

Think about your content and what people like to see. And maybe if you have a niche where everybody blogs, think of a way to vlog that to set yourself apart!

12. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Entrepreneur

I find vlogging to be more difficult to monetize. Youtube simply doesn't pay enough, probably because streaming videos much more expensive compared to showing someone some text. I think you should do both. Use your vlogging as a means to drive more traffic to your blog.

13. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

We have the same reason why I don't do vlogs and is contented posting articles on my blog. I'm not even posting photos of myself. But I notice that a combination of both is more effective to gain viewers especially if it's tutorials like cooking and doing an art project. Perphaps because most people are more interested in watcing the actual procedure than just following a written instructions. A combination of both will be more effective for you. Vlogs could mean more effort as you need someone to take the video while you work but it's worth it. You can also invest on a video camera that has a stand and timer while preparing yourself by reading tips on how to be an effective vlogger and how to properly edit a video. It's good to give your readers/ viewer a variety to read and not just concentrate on one medium especially that new Blogs and vlogs are showing up everyday. You need to be more competitive.

14. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I love vlogs and the amount of interesting content is never ending. There is always something interesting to capture, that will interest viewers. I say if you are comfortable speaking on camera and actually being on camera...go for vlogs. Sometimes, in my opinion blogs can get boring and redundant unless the subject matter is based on something super interesting and continues to draw readers. Career wise I think both should be utilized to really show the depth of your online presence. I never could get into this vlogging/blogging thing because I don't have the patience and I know I will not stay consistent. If someone is trying to make a career out of it, consistency is the key along with an interesting subject matter.

15. swalia

swalia Entrepreneur

Vlogging is an interesting concept. I don't Vlog though because of two reasons. First that I am camera shy and secondly I am not good at the technical stuff. But many famous bloggers use a combination of blogging, vlogging and podcasting. I think it's better to do what you think you're good at and are passionate about. If writing is your forte then you should stick to blogging with occasional videos thrown in for a change.

16. bria1

bria1 Entrepreneur

I have been exploring YouTube and looking at different vlogs...and I must say vlogging can take a bunch of energy out of you. I noticed also that successful vloggers with many subscribers make sure that the content is juicy and the surroundings are beautiful. I think the scene matters quite a bit.

17. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

There is one big thing that limits vlogging popularity. Have you noticed that you traffic is typically lower on the weekend? This is true for the whole internet. People actually surf more when they are at work than when they are at home. And a lot of them are in office where a text page can pass as "work", but a blog with audio will not.

18. davidper

davidper Entrepreneur

if you glibly Please try vlog?

19. briannagodess

briannagodess Entrepreneur

Does anyone have experience being a solo Vlogger?

To be honest, I've never tried vlogging but I do know lots of vloggers since I subscribe to lots of YouTube channels.

If so, what difficulties did you encounter and eventually overcome?

Like I've said, I'm not a vlogger myself but I know lots of vloggers have difficulties in the following aspects:
    • Creating content that's high quality especially if the vlog every day. Some vloggers put up repetitive content especially if they have a lifestyle or family channel.
    • Editing their videos. It takes some time and effort to be able to put in voice-overs or music to videos. Apart from that, you would need to put in a few captions as well. You can actually remedy this by hiring a professional video editor which one of the vlogs I follow do so.
    • Keeping up with the demands of vlogging.

Do you think maybe going back to blogging is the way to go?

For me, since you've already established your channel, why not do both? You can opt to upload one video a month if the vlogging is too difficult for you. Since blogging is easier, you can opt to create content for that more frequently.

20. djentre

djentre Entrepreneur

Okay. Here's the thing. You need to keep it simple and real. Don't try to create a tv show. Create a vlog.

What that means is, you don't need to do voice overs, you don't need to use awesome cams. You just need to switch on your phone's cam and start recording. If you need multiple shots, use multiple phones, and put a few on a stand. People like that kind of genuineness. Don't use scripts either.

The only thing I do is clean up the audio using audacity.

The most successful vloggers or marketers do exactly that. As long as you can keep talking.

For example, this guy: He's interviewed a ton of people from UFC guys to billionaires to what not. But, the part that I loved about his show was the part where he would simply roam around london talking into his phone. Of course, now he's started marketing a little too much for my comfort, but I guess you have to earn money somehow.

Specific Example: This is something relevant to food and cooking:
    That is one of the most popular vlogs of its kind.

So, do that and use piks of foodstuff to build a following on instagram, snapchat and all. Then redirect those people to your vlog by simply posting a link.