BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

I just recently stumbled across some articles recently which mentioned that the "Amy's" brand of frozen vegetarian food products now has plans to branch out into fast food/drive thru locations as well. From what I can see, one of them has already opened up in California.

Amy's Drive Thru

Even though I'm not vegetarian myself, I've often wondered why there haven't been any fast food joints to ever come along like this yet. I eat meat, but I also enjoy eating all vegetarian/vegan meals as well. At most traditional fast food joints, fresh vegetables are kind of an afterthought - if the ingredients aren't overly processed, loaded with preservatives, frozen, and meant to have a shelf life of 10+ years, then you generally don't see much of them. And what little they do have is often stale and rotting. Slimy onions that look as if they were sliced weeks ago, grey limp lettuce, watery mushy tomatoes, bone dry processed salad mix that tastes like shredded newspaper...

I would be all about a place like this. Their prices do seem a little on the high side, but I would just keep the costs down by bringing along my own water or iced tea to go with it, and perhaps skip the fries.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Vegetarian/vegan food is undeniably expensive compared to common fast food. But yeah, it is real nutritious. I would love to try this vegetarian fast food as well, I hope they'll try to build another branch here in my country, Philippines in the future. :)

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I think that's exactly why there isn't any vegetarian or vegan fast food places around, the cost.

While I'm sure they would do a lot of business, the overheads would be higher and therefore the profit margins would be smaller unless it could attract a lot of customers.

4. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

Where is the extra cost you are talking about? French fries in oil, Grilled cheese, bean burrito, Martguerita pizza, mac'n'cheese, salad, milkshake. All of these and hundreds of other fast food options are cheaper than the equivalent with meat added.

And if you mean meat replacements most of them are also cheaper than meat, Black beans, chickpeas, textured vege protein, mushrooms etc.

Vegetarian is only more expensive if you shop super-yuppie weirdo versions of food and absolutely insist on it being more expensive. Or you actually like the taste of tofu and want to eat it every day.

However many of you have lived as a vegetarian and as a meat eater and done the comparison. I have, ten years as a vege although I am not one right now. Vegetarian was cheaper--one reason I did it was because I couldn't afford any kind of meat worth eating anyway--so it wasn't much of a sacrifice.

Which just makes sense really as growing some stuff out of the ground is far less expensive than raising and slaughtering livestock.

I think there is not a lot of places catering especially to fast food vegetarians because vegetarians are a minority and vegetarians who are not health nuts (raises hand) are a minority inside that minority.

I just wish that the fast food places near me in Chicago actually stocked their vege options. Burger King has a great black bean burger but the branches here don't carry it :( Even though I am not exclusively vege now I get cravings for that stuff.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

But customers are going to want more variety on the menu than the few items that you've mentioned if they're going to eat out.

They'll probably want the 'yuppie weirdo' foods as you called them, as a vegetarian can go into McDonald's and order a box salad, a milkshake and a portion of fries, so if that's all you offered as well, they'd probably just stick to McDonald's.

6. nailah783

nailah783 Entrepreneur

I think maybe regular fast food places should sell a vegetarian menu. That way when in social situations, everybody can eat together. Sure the healthy vegetarian food is bound to be more expensive, but that's the price of being different.

7. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Pizza Hut has vegetarian pizza and it is very good.

8. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

We don't have that chain here but if we did, I'm sure that my son and daughter-in-law would go. They're vegans. They are able to get vegan-friendly food at places like Eastside Marios and Boston Pizza, plus we have a few vegan eateries in this city but if the food tasted good, I'm sure they'd go to a drive thru like the one you've linked to.

9. missbishi

missbishi Entrepreneur

In my opinion, the best vegetarian fast food can be found at Indian takeaways. There are so many different meatless dishes available and it's perfectly possible to have a real feast. Other than that, options in this country seem rather limited with pizza and fries being the only real options.

10. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9h Entrepreneur

I hope they have one near where I live. It's hard to find anything vegetarian around here besides ordering a salad. I would like to eat healthier, but there are not a whole lot of choices here.

11. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I rarely eat out. I love to cook and eating healthy can include meats, but I have to admit that over the years I have a tendency to be very fruit and vegetable oriented. Of course, I am an avid fisherman and love to prepare fresh water bass, perch, pike, striper, bullhead, etc. I think many vegetarians indulge a bit of seafood here and there.

Vegetarian fast food is a bit of a conundrum I think. I'm not big on foods that are pre-prepped and refrigerated for any length of time when at a restaurant. When it comes to veggies, I like them very fresh when t all possible.

Now, I do occasionally have a veggie pizza. Not often because I have found that starch and sugar are what puts the weight on for me. I've lost over 40#'s in the past 18 months by eliminating most of the typical starch and sugar from my food regimens and increasing low carb veggies.