BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I read an article today on NPR about ridesharing services Uber and Lyft. It's about the city of Austin putting a policy in place that requires the drivers to register the same as taxi drivers, which Uber and Lyft say is contrary to the model of ride sharing.

The article says, "Voters in Austin, Texas, rejected a proposal for loosened regulations on ride-hailing apps, both Uber and Lyft have announced they will be "pausing" operations in the city."

Both ridesharing enterprises claim they will pull their services for Austin and focus on proliferating their reach across the U.S. and other countries. I haven't read where other cities are looking for any similar policy changes or regulatory changes like this one.

What's your take on this? Do you think they need more regulation then they currently have?

Do you use these types of services in your travels?

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Goldstandard89 likes this.

2. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

We have Uber around here but I've never used them.

I've read that our taxi companies are royally p-o'd and are trying to get City Hall to establish ordinances to have them require licensing or get out of town. If they had their way, Uber wouldn't be allowed in this city, they really hate that they "steal" their business.

3. Goldstandard89

Goldstandard89 Entrepreneur

The whole system is unfair and I can understand why taxi drivers would be mad that Uber and Lyft are taking their business when they don't have to go through the same regulations as taxi drivers. To be a taxi driver, you need to get a special limited license, a background check, and tested. Uber and Lyft have way more relaxed system of accepting and keeping drivers. On one side, it's unfair that the government holds the taxi license hostage and create a tough situation for the drivers.

But on the other hand, because of how lenient Uber and Lyft is in their requirements, there have been, at least in California, incidents where people have been attacked and killed. There was a guy who used to kill homeless woman in-between rides because it was a perfect cover. So I'm okay for the safety of the passengers if there was amore intense background check and the occasional urine donation. I don't think there should be a special license though to restrict the amount of people can provide the service. That's the major problem with the taxi driver system that most cities have.