BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Twitter overhaul? Your tweets could soon be 10,000 characters long

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by EF-Roger, Jan 5, 2016.

Share This Page

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Tweets are known for their brevity, and at 140 characters or less, they are designed to be quick, sharp snippets of text. But soon, fans of the hugely popular social media platform might see messages get longer -- much longer, expanding to a potential 10,000-character length.

The news was first reported by Re/code, which said Twitter is targeting a launch date toward the end of the first quarter of this year for the product that would let users tweet much longer messages, according to multiple sources familiar with the company's plans. The same sources referenced 10,000 characters as a potential new length limit, which is currently the maximum number of characters allowed in a Twitter Direct Message. The project is being referred to as "Beyond 140."

Read more Twitter overhaul could allow tweets 10,000 characters long

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I don't really know what to say about this new change in Twitter. If they are going to expand their post length, then they are not that unique anymore. They are just like other social media sites out there. I prefer reading snippets of message instead of longer ones.

3. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

I can't imagine someone making a tweet that long. I like that twitter is so short and to the point, maybe they shouldn't change it!

4. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

The unique thing about twitter is the 140 character long post. It wouldn't be the same if they will make it longer. They might as well make it as a blog platform.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I'm not sure about making the post length THAT big, I do think Twitter needs to up the amount of characters from 140 to maybe 250/300.

Even at that length it won't lose its unique appeal but will help it's users get their point across instead of having to do it over a number of different tweets.

6. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

10,000 characters is wayyyyy too long, isn't it? Cripes, people will be posting articles! The average word is only 5 characters.

7. Griffin

Griffin Entrepreneur

And thus, Twitter starts to attempt to be Facebook.

8. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Seems like all the 'big' players end up either buying out one of the others, or morphing into the most popular one.

Griffin likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

While I can see why people think that Twitter is just trying to replicate Facebook, I thought that myself when I first heard the story, I'm not sure it is when I thought about it a bit more.

Twitter as always appealed to a different demographic and I don't think they want to lose that. While they might be expanding the number of characters people can use, Twitter will still be Twitter and they're not developing it any other way.