BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

This iconic pizza chain is back from bankruptcy and launching delivery

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by EF-Roger, Sep 13, 2015.

Share This Page

1. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

[​IMG]

Sbarro, the iconic New York style pizza franchise, is back in the game.

The chain emerged from bankruptcy protection in 2014 and is now undergoing a major overhaul.

At the time of the company's first Chapter 11 filing in 2011, it was ranked as the fifth top pizza chain in the country.

Kathryn M. likes this.

2. digiexpress

digiexpress Entrepreneur

I remember them being in Columbus, Ohio! They had some good food!

3. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Entrepreneur

This is great news. They have fantastic pizza!

Kathryn M. likes this.
  4. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

I have had any of their pizzas

5. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

Oh WOW! I remember this pizza place from the mall when I was in high school, in the 90's. I was not expecting to see SBarro's when I clicked this link. I forgot all about this place.

Well good for them. I hope it works this time, and delivery is where it's at today. If there is one close to my house I will have it delivered, put on 90's movie, and enjoy.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I didn't know they have experienced bankruptcy in 2014. I believe they were still operating here in the Philippines back in 2014.

7. Apolloniac

Apolloniac Entrepreneur

Great for them! I think their new business model is solid and now they're creating jobs in various states. Let's patronize them and keep the ball rollin'! I think their pizzas are pretty good so why not right?

8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

This is the first I'm hearing of them, but then I'm not much of a pizza guy.

9. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

We had them in our local malls for decades - many of them lasted all the way into the early 2000's before finally closing down. The last closest ones near me were at the turnpikes near Cleveland, but those have since closed down as well (and re-opened as another very similar pizza restaurant). In fact, when I saw the new pizza joint that moved into their former space, my initial thought was that they had simply re-branded under another name.

Some of their biggest problems imo, is that they charge way too much for their food. And considering they're a chain restaurant, it's hard to compete in areas that have lots of great locally owned mom and pop joints which produce far better pizza at a much more affordable price. Last time I got a slice and a soda at a nearby rest stop, it was over $7. Granted their slices are big, but that's still nuts to charge that much. I can get entire 12 or 14 inch pizza's for under $7 from our local pizza joints.

Also, all the baked pasta dishes they had under their heat lamps were bland and terrible tasting. Why not instead pre cook and portion the pasta, then top it with sauce and cheese and bake them to order? They could also take advantage of their pizza oven to make quickly broiled appetizers and snacks. Instead, the last time I was at one of their locations, the only sides/snacks they had were bagged chips.