BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Temptation To Quit

Discussion in 'Mindset and Motivation' started by T J Tutor, Jul 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

“The temptation to quit and start over infects every creative process I've ever been in. Frustration and boredom always fuel this self-doubt.” American Songwriter

You know, it's amazing all of the times I find the inspirations of artists so accurate. They, so often, have unique and unclouded perspectives and the previous statement is one of them I have posted above my desk.

I mention this because there have been many in my many years in business, and as an entrepreneur, that have given up on their dreams because of challenges, frustration, disappointments, etc. Those I was intimately familiar with, I can say without doubt, would likely have succeeded if they had only kept pushing on instead of listening to the negative voices in their heads.

I had this issue a couple of times when I was much younger, in my twenties. I was fortunate to have strong mentors at key points in my life while meeting these issues. I encourage all of you, when this happens to you, stay bright and in belief of your goals!

Has anyone here learned to beat back these issues for yourselves?

2. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

Oh wow I just want to say that's exactly what I'm going thru right now. My family wants me to get a job and believe I'm wasting my time being an entrepreneur they think or feel I can't do it because I'm a high school drop out,ex-thug,early age dad, child support plus other traffic tickets aha but yes,
    Sometimes I feel like quiting
    What happens when I feel like quiting ?

I start feeling regret, I think it wasn't worth it , I lost my time, I could of made something better , bad investment things dont go how i expect them to go and etc....
    I tried meditating but I forget due to I'm always busy being entreprenuer. family is attacking because I'm not there. My grandma died and there mad because I didn't care. I just accept thats life. Your young enjoy, make something the world will remember you for and grow old happy and die. That's what i'm doing for myself. I was depressed for a week.....but feel better now. To Be An Entrepreneur.

T J Tutor likes this.
  3. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

I can tell you that it's very important to establish a steady stream of income while developing your entrepreneurial life. You have to have a steady, responsible, reasonable income, while becoming experienced and ultimately successful with this life style. All of us have had to go through that stage.

Being extremely responsible is at the core of the true entrepreneur. We not only embrace this core value, we embody it with every breath we take. The higher we soar as an entrepreneur, the more responsibilities we accept. Embracing and mastering our responsibilities is what sets us apart from everyone else and is what brings us all of the rewards we seek.

Embrace yourself, embrace knowledge and truth, and embrace a life of responsibility that exceeds the milling herd of civilization.

4. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

I have found that those times hit when I'm tired - mentally even more than physically. Those are the times I've allowed myself to border on burnout.

Taking a few days (or more) break usually has me itching to get back at it.

It would be so easy to just give up and walk away when you're frustrated or down but if you can stop feeding the frustration, I think it gives your head a chance to clear. I think that's when you'd know whether to keep going on the same path or whether you need to change something.

Getting away from the problem, even briefly can give you a better perspective and rejuvenate your passion for what you're working on.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    T J Tutor likes this.
  5. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@Kevin A , I saw you in the other thread you have quit being entrepreneur. My view is no one can ...

You are just moving away from bigger problems to tiniest problems. But the problems has to be dealt by you and you get paid to find a solution for it. That's reality !

Best wishes mate ...

Kevin A, T J Tutor and azgold like this.
  6. Travelingsarah

Travelingsarah Entrepreneur

I'm Sarah, and I've had my travel agent business for four years. I'm maing next to no money at it.. I'm disabled,live with my parents, and I really don't have to make money. I would love to find some clients to work with. I have time but not money.. I have a blog and relly want to start doing guest posts for other people

7. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

You're very fortunate to have the support of your parents. That gives you time to figure things out and hopefully avoid the temptation to quit, as mentioned in TJ's original post.

8. Travelingsarah

I know.. I don't want to quit. I keep a blog, I'm working on a book.. This business does keep me busy for sure, and I do enjoy that.

9. Li Jean-Luc Harris

Li Jean-Luc Harris Entrepreneur

the amount of times i get this. but every time i get this i carry on because when your so desperate to succeed but have just failed. you've got nothing to lose!

Kevin A likes this.
  10. Kevin A

Kevin A Entrepreneur

Ahaha... I know i wish i can quit. But inside of me theres something telling to try again and do it different and better. I also posted the thread so i can have it saved and what better place then on Entrprenuerfix.com. Dont worry i didnt quit i just decided to start all over again. Now im doing better. Thank you

VirtualGlobalPhone and azgold like this.
  11. Prinston Hicks

Prinston Hicks Entrepreneur

I think its a process of understanding that our emotions go in cycles. That's why one day as an entrepreneur you feel enthusiastic, motivated, and ready to tackle the challenges ahead.

Then the next day you feel anxiety, self-doubt and worry that your ideas aren't good enough, or your intimidated by what others have accomplished and believe what you have to offer is of lower value.

Understanding that no matter who you are your mind and emotions go through theses cycles, is one of the keys to beating back the frustration and inevitable mental turmoil you will experience as an entrepreneur.

Once you realize that it's a cycle, and as they say "THIS TO WILL PASS" you begin to work on even in despair because you know it just a cycle.

azgold and VirtualGlobalPhone like this.
  12. stark_intern

stark_intern Entrepreneur

The trick, you see, is not to fight it so hard...that gives your negative feelings legitimacy.

Instead, you must become utterly ruthless with them--but not in a way that might sound counter-intuitive: let the negative emotions have their day or two. During this time, you take a notepad and clinically observe the negative emotions. Once the negative emotion passes--and it always will--you must take the grim task of dissecting that emotion. Figure out what triggered them, what made it go away, what made it worse, and learn all you can to build a countermeasure. That way, the next time the emotion happens, you will brutally crush it with such overwhelming force that, even some part of it still gets you down, you know you'll dispassionately pull it apart and work out a countermeasure.

VirtualGlobalPhone and azgold like this.
  13. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

That's lots of work for brain and time for an emotion. Its good as long as their is only one event responsible for it. :)

The emotion 'quit' erupts in life, not because of one but many some times so many unsuccessful events.

The best way is to live in now! as if the past didn't exist and future is not their.

14. stark_intern

stark_intern Entrepreneur

@VirtualGlobalPhone

You're right, there's always more than one thing behind an emotion. I can see why it appears like a lot of mental effort, but it's really not as difficult as it sounds.

Whatever things drove a person to the depths of despair, anger--whatever it may be--let it play out. The only thing you have to do is maintain just enough self-awareness to jot down how you got here. If you can't write it down, try to remember it. You don't have to do anything more than just remember/write a few words...because these notes aren't for the person you are in that moment. They're for you when you're in a better state of mind, whenever that may be.

Try to see these negative emotions as entities that temporarily take form. I like to see them as malfunctioning robots that I created and are attacking me for reasons x, y, z. So I let them bully me for a day or two...but like a vengeful creator, I jot down those reasons, so that when they stop, I can dispassionately rip them apart to try find a countermeasure or two.

15. bookfurry

bookfurry Entrepreneur

the temptation to quit hits you when you want to give up. But you always have to remember that there is no such thing as an easy way to success and that failure is part of your journey.

16. Travelingsarah

I've read some of what people have been saying... Running a businsss where no one is using your services, yet, can get very discouraging from time to time. And I know I have it easier because I live with my parents, I'm disabled, my parents provide everything I need. But I have many dreams, and I'm working on figuring those out.

17. Peyton White

Peyton White Entrepreneur

I have my business now where parents do not agree with(at first). They think it would never gain profit. But I was able to prove them wrong. Now, they even push me to expand and continue LOL. :)

Travelingsarah and azgold like this.
  18. Travelingsarah

Thanks. Needing to hear something like this today.