BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Nunzio Presta

Nunzio Presta Business Owner Entrepreneur

At BizON we believe entrepreneurship is not only about starting a business from scratch but also about buying an existing one and turning it into something better. With that said, we came across a great article by Inc’s contributing editor, Jeff Haden, where he discusses 14 terrible excuses for not starting (or in BizON‘s case – buying) a business today.

What’s holding you back? Hopefully not one of these all too common excuses.

Excuses: we all have them. (I probably have more than you.)

And eventually, we all regret them — especially if those excuses keep us from following our entrepreneurial dreams.

Like:

1. I don’t have the money.

As Growthink founder Dave Lavinsky says, being an entrepreneur is the art and science of accomplishing more with less — less money, less staff, less time, etc.

Face it: You will never have “enough” cash or funding. Never. If you don’t have enough capital to launch your business the way you plan, change your plan.

You can’t always control what you have, but you can control what you do with what you have.

2. I don’t have the time.

Everyone has the same amount of time. The only difference is what you’re willing to do with yours.

If you were trapped underground and had only 24 hours’ worth of oxygen, you wouldn’t check your Twitter feed or chat with friends or spend a little “me time” in front of the TV. You’d dig your butt off the entire time.

Apply the same level of importance and urgency to what you want to accomplish and your schedule will instantly clear. Finding the time is always a matter of how badly you want it.

3. I’m too scared.

Join the club. Every entrepreneur is scared.

So you have a choice: Let your fears hold you back… or use those same fears as fuel to do whatever it takes to succeed.

Complacency is the enemy of achievement. Fortunately, fear drives complacency away.

4. I don’t have the right connections.

Between company websites and LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and all the other social media platforms, you can reach almost anyone besides the Pope and maybe Bono. In fact, some people are surprisingly accessible (maybe that’s one of the secrets of their success?).

Of course, they may not respond. If they don’t, that’s probably your fault.

Start small. Start feasible. Build a foundation. A great network is like a pyramid with a wide base, not a thin vertical line that goes straight to the top.

And never forget that the more influential the person the more they’re besieged with requests. Have a good reason to connect, give before you expect to receive, and you might be surprised by who responds.

5. I’m too late.

Yeah, Jobs beat you to the graphical interface and mouse, but Xerox beat him. Zuckerberg wasn’t first in social media. The list goes on. Innovation is never one-and-done; some of the most successful companies are based on refining earlier ideas and innovations.

You’re only too late if you’re not willing to be better, faster, stronger, or cheaper than whoever got there first.

6. I can’t get anyone to listen.

People will listen to anything that is entertaining, interesting, heartfelt, amusing, shocking, informative, titillating, stupid, satirical, controversial, sad, silly, sexy…

If you can’t get anyone to listen, the problem isn’t them. The problem is you.

What you want to say is irrelevant; change your message so it means something to the people you want to reach.

Then they’ll listen.

7. I don’t have the skills.

No problem. Go get them. Go to school. Read a book. Read 10 books. Talk to friends. Get a part-time job at a small business. Get a part-time job in a different industry.

Find someone who has done what you want to do and volunteer to work for free in return for the opportunity to learn.

Does that seem too hard? Like too big of a price to pay? Or simply not fair? Then accept you will never have the skills and stop complaining.

Skills and knowledge are earned, not given.

8. I can’t think of a great idea.

Dreaming up something new is really, really hard.

Reacting to something that already exists is really, really easy.

Walk around and start complaining (to yourself). You’ll see tons of problems that require solutions. Those solutions are ideas.

Or walk around your business and start complaining. There are tons of problems you can address.

“New” is hard to imagine. “Better” is much easier.

Again, most companies are built on “better,” not on “new.”

9. I can’t take that risk.

Any risk you take today is a risk you can recover from. In time you can overcome almost any setback, stumble, or failure, and emerge stronger and smarter and better equipped to succeed in the future.

If you never try, all you’ll be is regretful: When you’re old and grey and “done,” you’ll look back on your life and think, “I wonder what might have happened if I had only…”

That’s one risk you should never take.

10. I can’t stop until it’s perfect.

Sure you can. You just don’t want to.

Maybe you’re insecure. Maybe you’re afraid. Maybe you fear rejection or criticism.

Do this instead: Do your best. Then step back. If a little more work will result in a markedly better outcome, go for it.

If a little more work will not make a difference anyone but you will notice, let it go. Then you make improvements based on the feedback you get from the only people whose opinions really matter: your customers.

11. I’m not comfortable doing things a different way.

I was raised to be humble and self-effacing, so I hate to say I’m good at anything. But sometimes I have no choice; taking advantage of certain opportunities requires confidently describing my skills, experience, and accomplishments.

If you’re not comfortable doing something because it violates your principles or ethics, by all means don’t.

But if you’re not comfortable doing something simply because it will take you out of your comfort zone, you’re just rationalizing.

And you’ll never be more than you already are.

12. I can’t find anyone who “gets it.”

Oh, they get it: They get that it sucks.

Truly great ideas can be described in a few words. Truly great products can be described in a few words.

When no one seems to get it, the only person not getting it is you. Let go of your pride and agenda and “unique point of view” and figure out where you’ve gone wrong.

13. It’s too hard.

Long journeys are hard.

Individual steps are easy.

Say you sit on your couch all day and suddenly you decide to run a marathon. You’re right: That’s too hard. But you can go out today and run a lap or two. Or you can walk a few miles. You can take one small step toward a difficult goal.

And then another. And then another.

Or, say you want to lose 50 pounds. That’s too hard. But you can eat one meal differently. Or you can take a walk at lunch. Or say you want to open a business. You can look at possible locations. Or work on your business plan. Or talk to a potential supplier. Or get advice from a mentor.

You can’t accomplish any difficult goal overnight, but you can accomplish one step, however small, toward that goal.

Think about the end of a journey and all that will be required along the way and you’ll never start.

Instead, do just one thing that will help get you there. Then build on it.

That you can do.

14. I’ll be embarrassed if I fail.

Failing in public can be embarrassing, especially since some people love to talk about the misfortunes of others.

Those are the same people who would never dare to try something themselves.

Don’t worry about them.

A whole other group of people will respect you for taking a shot. They’ll recognize a kindred spirit. They’ll empathize. They’ll encourage. They’ll pick you up. They’ll know what it’s like to try and fail and try again.

Why? They’re people living their lives on their terms.

From The Desk of BizON
    Health. Happiness. Family. Success.

2. Brian D. Evans

Brian D. Evans Business Owner Entrepreneur

Awesome post.

Another one I hear all the time is... "I'll _try_ to do it...."

This "try" mentality is the death of entrepreneurs. There's no "trying". There's either doing it or not doing it. The result is the result, but you don't need to be thinking about failure or it not working before you have even started. That's why TRYING is useless.

For most people "trying" means they are going to half-ass it, at best. Might as well not even do it at that point.

Next time you find yourself saying you will "try" to do something, stop for a second and rethink your mentality. Change your wording and mindset.

I call it the Inevitability of Success Mindset (I blogged about it recently on my site called Influencive) and you HAVE to have this inevitability of success mindset to get anywhere. Sitting around and "trying" is just not going to cut it - especially not in this wildly competitive landscape.

Nunzio Presta likes this.
  3. Nunzio Presta

Nice!! I agree 100% Brian! Thanks for contributing.

Pearl likes this.
  4. EF-Roger

EF-Roger Entrepreneur

Great post! They are terrible excuses.

5. Valsthrivers

Valsthrivers Business Owner Entrepreneur

I've heard all of these! In the last five months of promoting, I've encouraged the fearful to do something every day that terrifies them. It's really teaching people to get out of their own way. Connecting them with others that achieved success with those same doubts, fears and excuses has helped my team grow.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

People will always find an excuse or a reason not to do something, and a lot of that is because they're afraid to fail.

It seems like people these days are brought up not to take risks, and while its true that if you don't take risks you don't fail, at the same time you wont have that chance to succeed either.

7. Foxus

Foxus Entrepreneur

While I agree they may be "terrible excuses," using such context can be of bad taste for people who are disadvantaged like me (disadvantaged here meaning someone who has no income at all).

While its true, money isn't everything, and no one can have "enough," there is a time when "enough" is required, especially when I have no capital at all (the better question here is how do you get something from nothing?). Money becomes a "all or nothing" type of subject.

Secondly, because someone doesn't respond right away doesn't automatically justify that it is, "your fault."

8. Nunzio Presta

Definitely! No matter what resources are needed to bring your idea to reality, however, there are many stories of people turning $500 into billion dollar businesses and people turning millions into $0! I think this quote says it all:

Where there is a will, there is a way. If there is a chance in a million that you can do something, anything, to keep what you want from ending, do it. Pry the door open or, if need be, wedge your foot in that door and keep it open.
    - Pauline Kael

Stay positive and find a way, against all odds. If it was easy, everyone would be successful and have unlimited amounts of resources.

:)

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

Reading this post, I remember this quote, "If you really want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you will find an excuse."

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Interesting read. Don't always come up with excuses, people. Sometimes, it wouldn't hurt to try a few things.

10. K

K Entrepreneur

Great post, Gold!

11. arthnel

arthnel Entrepreneur

That's an excellent post. Those excuses are so real and they really hold people back. I've been convincing myself for a number of years that I wanted everything to be perfect and what drove me from starting was the fear of failing. That meant losing money if sales didn't happen to replace the cost of advertising and promoting stuff. Another excuse that is still holding me back is that others have already done that so that's not a good product or niche to get into. It's just too crowded. It's usually way down the road we realize we were holding our own selves back.

12. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Entrepreneur

This is an incredible post. I'm so happy I found this forum, as one of my goals for this year is to create a successful side business as I pursue my acting career. Number 1 and Number 7 have definitely been my biggest internal barries (the former far more than the latter, though...part of my hardship in the last 6 months has been re-discovering what I'm really great at, and thus what I can use to create a new path for myself).

I'm saving this post!!! Thanks!

13. Nunzio Presta

Thanks for the kind words...have you ever thought of buying an existing business? If so, check this out - mybizon.com

14. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

That's so very true. A lot of people started from the ground and made their way up. So yes, there really is no excuse. You can still make it.

15. setupdisc

setupdisc Entrepreneur

Excellent advice and valid on all points, Nunzio. You might find it funny, but there actually is one social media platform that you can reach Bono on even if you can't reach the Pope lol. I'm pretty sure it was Twitter, but I might be mistaken. As for the Pope, I'm sure he has a representative handling his internet communications but it's more than likely that the new Pope who is a lot different than the last just might be online.

Your tips are fantastic, and I'm glad that you decided to post them here. Without question, you've addressed some of the most common challenges that business entrepreneurs face when starting a new business or trying to hold on to their steam and fire to see it through. The answers are rock solid; logical and honest, but inspirational at the same time, so thank you for this.

If there could be mandatory literature for anyone wanting to become a successful entrepreneur or business owner, I feel that this should be part of their required reading list. Thanks again. :)

Nunzio Presta and Digsby Trace like this.
  16. Digsby Trace

Digsby Trace Entrepreneur

Funny but ironically true. It hit me hard as I find myself in some of them. I need to cut it out and put it in a journal to remind myself whenever I'm having doubts in putting up my business. I always wanted to have my own bookshop that sells old books but somehow, the plan never push through partly because of the negative comments of the people around that tells me that it's better to stay as an employee and have a stable income. They have a point as business nowadays are very risky but upon reading this important note, I guess the plan is on. I just need to study the business more.

Nunzio Presta and setupdisc like this.