BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Hey there!

Glad to join your forum! I am very new to the web design biz but decided to give it a try as find it very attractive and profitable too.Frankly speaking this is my 3rd startup as the previous two bursted up although they had been quite promising at the very beginning. A couple of years ago I was involved in one forex project where we were to provide consultancy, signals service, trust management and a few minor things. It died after 6 months due to the conflict of interests between the traders (me and my partner). Maybe I was not that good in entrepreneurship but I did not give up and looked to start over again.

I don’t know what forces drove me to pick web design as a business industry but at the end of 2015 I purchased both the domain name and the platform for my future website. It was quite a spontaneous deal but I recalled my previous projects when hiring a reliable designer was pretty tough and realized why don’t I have my own team of designers, huh?

I met mygood bud in January and told him about the project. He was really excited and wanted to get into the biz too.

At the moment there are 5 of us. A couple of our members have an experience in currency trading (me), MLM and e-marketing and the rest are professional designers. So we’ve decided to combine our knowledge to come up with the design studio. Pretty much that’s it. The name of the studio is DizzStudio.

As of now we are at the following stage.

Things done:

• Landing Page

• A couple of texts

• Service list

• Blog

Things to be done (a lot)

• Portfolio section

• Service description

• About Us

• Team page (Meet Our Team)

• Contact Us box

• SEO texts

• Feedback section

• Online store
    Back office (in future)

Guys I would appreciate any advice, questions, critics from you. I am here to learn as web design is kind of new business for me. Does anyone of you have a web desig project? How you promoted your first startups? Where did you get your first customers? I will keep everyone posted on my progress. By the way have you ever worked with the people who did not believe that a project might be prosperous in the near future? Some of my teammates saying if we’re not unique we won’t get any customer. Sounds very pessimistic to me as I think both hard work and patience will definitely pay off. What you think?

Thanks for your time!

2. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

"A couple of our members have an experience in currency trading (me), MLM and e-marketing and the rest are professional designers". Sorry, I meant 'professional web designers'

3. Nancy

Nancy Entrepreneur

Welcome @Serje! I can't offer any specific advice but wanted to say hi and I look forward to hearing about your journey! My husband and I dabble a little in Forex trading (specifically metals and commodities, although we have dabbled a bit in currency). We have done well, although we have pulled back for now after a few losses! It takes an intelligent person to understand the ends and outs of Forex treading! I feel like I barely get it myself.

I think you are tapping into a great market. I used the Sink or Swim software from Ameritrade for a few years after it first came out and it was amazing and fun! What a cool market to be in. Hoping for much success for you in your endeavor!

4. jona

jona Entrepreneur

Since you portfolio is going to be empty until you get clients and it is going to be hard to get clients if your portfolio is empty I advice you to do a couple of in house projects and display those inside your portfolio. Treat these projects as real projects from external clients to come with a process for your workflow. Consider doing that instead of all those sections that you list and are missing like an online store, unless you are planning to actually sell stuff what's the deal with that?

The contact us box should have been the first thing on your list! That's a tier 1 priority feature, you won't get any business if people can't contact you!

Your teammates are right, you need an unique proposal, maybe you could consider specializing on a particular niche, perhaps something related to your previous experience? I know of a web design studio that only does web pages for Hotels, that sounds limiting but they know exactly to whom they need to promote their business.

5. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

I don't have a web design project per se, but I do have a blog that I use as a portfolio for my writing projects and freelance article writing. As mentioned before, since you don't have a portfolio or a service list, you might want to show what makes you qualified for this business rather than leaving the portfolio space wide open. You and the other designers should do small projects to post and mark it as non-commissioned work. That way, there are examples for the potential client to see.

Depending on what you decide to run with (your unique proposal), you could try promoting yourself through things like Fiverr. A small start, yes, but a start nonetheless. Fiverr's helped me grow my freelancing gig satisfactorily enough. But yeah, you DO need to be individuals in an ever growing medium. You need to separate yourself from the other worthwhile competition. So, I wouldn't call a teammate pessimistic for being realistic. The sad truth is that without the proper planning, what you all hope to accomplish might fall by the wayside.

6. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Hey there,

Does anyone know how I can get an organic (not paid) traffic from social medias? On FB I am using public groups/fun pages that help me deliver some traffic to my website. But I've never promoted with Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. Of course I could go with the paid ads (and eventually I will do it) but at this point just want to see if it's possible to bring customers without any commercial running

Thanks

S

7. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

Welcome @Serje , you are touching one of the largest market of Internet. Lots of competition out their so focus on your USP, customer service , transparency, Local / toll-free Phone number in the countries you want to focus are few you have to really build well.

For webdesign you can check envato market.

Best wishes.

8. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Thank you. You know it's so simple but very good idea - toll free calls. Just realized I need to set up a toll free phone number!

9. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Hey,

Hope you are well. You know I do admit that the market is very saturated so I think having a unique aspect might be beneficial for the project. How do think is that appropriate to add a variably cost package where clients can literally bargain for a lower price? I know it may sounds silly but that offer could interest certain target audiences where people don't intend to overpay but value high quality works. Basically its gonna be a built-in feature and by clicking 'Let's Bargain' button a client and a designer can have a chat to disscuss all the price-related details to come up with the final decision. I expect both positive and negative consequences of such innovation but you never know if you never try.

S

10. VirtualGlobalPhone

VirtualGlobalPhone Moderator Entrepreneur

@Serje - usage of word "bargain" is like walking on sharp knives.

The words between buyer and seller can never be controlled. Other point is although market is competitive and large, 70%+ customers never understand the pain behind the selling price. So fixing a price and coming up with seasonal discounts, or special days campaign or merging with other on going campaign usually gives certain level of interest in consumers.

Most of the time customer come to startups because they get high quality and individual service.

And remember "Taj Mahal" never built in a day.

Best wishes ...

Serje likes this.
  11. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Very good points, thank you!

12. Serje

Serje Entrepreneur

Glad to be back to the forum! How are you all doing? My website is almost up although it took longer than I expected but I learnt a lot! Will definitely share my updates soon

T J Tutor likes this.
  13. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Looking forward to your updates here!