BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Slow cooker tips

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Ladyferoz, Feb 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I recently bought a slow cooker so I could fix up some meals while I am at school however I have had quite disappointing results. I use it to cook for my boyfriend and me, and so far I have cooked chicken soup, soy sauce and cola chicken thighs and bean soups.
    My meals turn out quite bland, and a mushy mess. Any tips? I use adequate salt, and various spices like oregano, thyme, rosemary and pepper.
    Am I missing something?

bhu likes this.

2. Cleveland76

Cleveland76 Entrepreneur

One important thing to understand with slow cookers is that they trap in moisture, as opposed to roasting something in the oven or frying it in a pan. You need to account for that when cooking in a slow cooker, especially if you are adapting a recipe from some other cooking method. Bland food is a common problem not only with slow cookers, but also with pressure cooking. For example, when I make BBQ pulled pork in it, I never add the sauce in at the beginning, because by the time it's done cooking, the pork roast will have sweated off so much liquid, it will dilute the sauce and make it really bland. Instead, I would simply season the roast, let it cook for several hours, then drain the excess liquid, then shred the roast and add in the BBQ sauce and let it cook down (perhaps even uncovered) to warm everything through.

Also, you should pay attention to the moisture content of all the ingredients you are adding into the pot. Any additional vegetables, especially frozen ones, will give off a lot of moisture which will dilute the meal. Try to avoid using frozen stuff, and instead thaw it completely and pat it dry before adding it to the pot.

With a slow cooker, you're not going to get any browning or crisping either - so if you throw some skin on chicken thighs in there, they are basically going to just braise. You're not going to get that brown crispy skin like a rotisserie or roasted chicken in the oven. Just because you are slow cooking something in your crock pot doesn't mean you can't pop it into a 500 degree oven for a bit or under the broiler, to brown it on top for extra flavor. I do this when I make roast beef in my slow cooker - I transfer it to an oven safe dish and let it finish in the oven at 450-500 degrees, to reduce down the sauce and brown the top.

Another thing I often do is just place the meat in there with some basic seasonings and let the slow cooker do it's thing, then prepare the other sauces or ingredients separately outside of the slow cooker.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  3. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

Absolutely amazing. All of your tips are on point, thank you so much! I gave up on the slow cooker a few days ago and I was about to buy a pressure cooker, I was tired of everything tasting like soup. I am more excited to bring it out and try again.

4. bhu

bhu Entrepreneur

I love my slow cooker! It simplifies food preparation and saves me time and energy from having to watch things on the stove or clean up when I get distracted. I admit not everything turns out perfectly every time, but it goes better when I read package directions and use recipes from cooking blogs as a jumping off point, then riff from there. Tomorrow I'm planning to try some brown rice slow cooker recipes for sweet and savory dishes. I haven't had rice pudding in awhile. And my mom gave me a box of vegetable broth to throw that should be exactly enough for a vegetable pilaf. Good luck to you!

Ladyferoz likes this.
  5. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I have never tried rice pudding, if you have good recipes, please let me know. Good luck to you too, your meal ideas sound so delicious!

bhu likes this.
  6. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I found a cool infographic that gives useful tips on slow cookers and recipe ideas. I really recommend slow cookers to everyone, especially us, entrepreneurs. It frees up plenty of time to work and you can come home to a delicious, nutritious meal. Enjoy crockpot-infographic.png crockpot-infographic.png uqqi8butgbc3f9xxnpvh.jpg