BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. ASAP!

ASAP! Entrepreneur

SO i've never really touched SEO and i'm reading more and more on forums that its not really important anymore or has changed? Can someone explain and advise me please?

2. Mr.Trep

Mr.Trep Business Owner Entrepreneur

SEO is still very important. It keeps your marketing costs way down if you can maintain your position on Google organically.

Search Engine Optimization has changed quite a bit and will continue to change. In the early days all it took to win at SEO was to have more backlinks than your competitors. Google has since changed their algorithm and now focus on high quality content that is relevant to the keyword/search.

Social metrics are also becoming more important as is the relevance of your backlinks.

To sum up how to win at SEO now; Write amazing and relevant content for your audience. Reach out to related sites to guest post or have your link put on their site (assuming their site is also high quality). By doing this you are building content that will consistently drive traffic to your site and because of the high quality backlinks from relevant sites Google will rank you higher because of its metrics.

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you have any more questions just ask.

Capital SEO and Apollyon like this.
  3. Better

Better Entrepreneur

Yes still important but not as important as social optimisation in my opinion these days

4. Sunny77

Sunny77 Entrepreneur

From what I can read, SEO certainly matters. I don't like to worry about it too much; it's sort of annoying to have to check out what key words are going to work best, and buy all sorts of tools to help you decide. I just think it's easier to advertise on some of the social media pages that are so big right now. Of course, you will need to be active and have big followings.

5. Dandelion

Dandelion Entrepreneur

There is no doubt about the importance of SEO. But it also depending on the keyword competition. If your targeted keywords are more competitive I think you should move to newer keywords or social media optimization or even in ads.

6. Thomas Hale

Thomas Hale Entrepreneur

If you are doing a vast amount of online advertising then NO. Remember advertising cost money. But if you want a long term business then YES.

7. xploit

xploit Business Owner Entrepreneur

@ASAP! It all depends on the business I guess. If you have users referring other users to your business then you're sorted, but if its ads or social media etc you need to use SEO

8. Shutout

Shutout Business Owner Entrepreneur

If you have a business in my area and you don't show up on the first 3 pages of Google, I won't be using you. So, yes, I would say it is important... but I guess that depends on the type of business.

EF-Roger likes this.
  9. Apollyon

Apollyon Entrepreneur

Fresh content or updated content is really a great way to go. With the way that Apple's search engine is going, they're going to be focusing on how much time people spend on a site. Also you'll want to do posts that are least 1.5k words per post MINIMUM to get a good mix of keywords going.

Backlinks with proper anchor text will always be powerful no matter what, but you have to have proper trust factor coming from those sites otherwise it won't be too powerful.

10. Roy Roger

Roy Roger Business Owner Entrepreneur

Yes it changed, but it's still important. It's a kind of one time investment and after that you have to maintain your rank that's it.
    But getting ranking is not an easy task. You have to create a quality website, content and link building.
    And what alternate you have, PPC? But remember one thing only using PPC is not a good idea because it will give you only traffic for a limited period. You have to use both to get better business engagement and benefits from digital marketing.

11. JShivell

JShivell Business Owner Entrepreneur

I would not say SEO is a one-time investment. Remember, although SEO stands for "Search Engine Optimization", it is now understood to refer to the entire marketing process. The actual optimization of the website itself is probably the hardest part, as it requires some coding knowledge, and how to make sure you make the right changes to get the desired result. Just optimizing the website, however, will not get you rankings. You need to communicate with your potential visitors through sharing your blog posts and articles on various social media sites, social networking sites and social bookmarking sites.
    you also need to participate in discussions yourself. I's a continuous process, and may seem tedious as times, but I wouldn't call it's not too hard to do.

12. Pop

Pop Entrepreneur

For most enterprises ranking well in Google, or sometimes in other search results (Youtube, Facebook) is almost always important. That is the take home message.

Whether you do that by following every trick of black hat SEO, or by putting out damn good sincere authentic content, well, that's not really crucial. Both will get you to rocket up the rankings.

There is of course a middle path where you mostly focus on create great content for real people, but do make sure you are taking advantage of the more white hat and evergreen conscious-SEO techniques as well.

13. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I've never really been into the whole SEO aspect of Internet business. However, I do at least some keyword research to see what kind of traffic I can expect to receive, but I mostly analyze this just out of curiosity. I also add keywords to my site to attract whatever traffic Goggle can/will send my way.

Other than that, I really do not put that much time and energy into SEO. I do not hire an SEO service or anything to put an SEO strategy together. I just do my own keyword research and add those keywords to my site on each page/post where relevant. The most I use is the All-In-One SEO Pack plugin that allows you to plug keywords into the overall main site, and it also allows you to add keywords and other SEO options on each individual page and post. Anything more than that just seems to be more complicated than what it's worth.

I prefer to spend my time marketing and promoting my business, products, and services through social media, forums, and platforms that allow me to sell my products on their website. I have found that simply promoting my business draws in a good amount of customers, rather than waiting around for SEO to kick in. By the time SEO has kicked in, I have already advertised enough to have a good amount of customers going to my website(s), which gives any SEO I've done a natural boost in the rankings.

So at then end of the day, SEO is important and begins to work quite well after you get the business going, but it is not more important, nor does it take the place of, actually advertising and promoting the business.

14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Entrepreneur

I've never been overly worried about SEO, concentrating instead on factors which have multiple benefits only one of which is enhancing SEO. All of these factors are important in and of themselves anyway so I believe that a well run business will eventually always rank well. Good content, a well-deisgned website, plenty of keywords, and plenty of marketing on the more popular social media sites that receive tremendous traffic.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

I do think that SEO is still important for certain types of business, but I wouldn't say it's the be all and end all. Strictly speaking the term SEO is to optimise your business so it ranks higher on search engines, that of course will get you more traffic.

If you have a niche business though, high ranking in a site won't affect how many hits you get, simply because the topic of your site won't be popular anyway, no matter how many SEO techniques you apply.

16. Steve Dawson

Thats an interesting point regarding niche businesses, but is there really any such thing any more. Now we have a global marketplace, there will be competition to your business somewhere else in the World. If you're providing any kind of service, or supplying any type of easily transportable product then you can effectively be competing against companies providing the same product or service in any other part of the World. The biggest factors in your potential profits will come down to local overheads, taxation and any legal constraints to your business in your locality. If I'm looking for a highly-specialized piece of manufacturing equipment, I'll probably check out the top-ranking site that supplies it first, regardless of where they are.

17. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I think you hit the nail on the head. Generally speaking, if you spend time making sure your product/service is effective and actually serves the customer well, along with genuine marketing tactics, your products/service will pretty much eventually begin to sell itself. It may take a little time to get the word out, but once it does, the business will practically be able to run itself and climb the ranks on its own. A good product/service won't stay buried at the bottom for long. It naturally rises to the top.

I can agree with this as well. A niche business is usually something you would have to promote in order for it to get noticed. If you sell chocolate cupcakes, you will most likely get some traffic without having to do much simply because chocolate cupcakes are the usual type of cupcakes people search for. However, if you sell unicorn themed cupcakes, then you will have to let people know that type of cupcake is on the market because it is not a type of cupcake that many people would be prone to search for. Once you have promoted it, then it will get rankings. But that traffic came from promoting. It did not necessarily come from keywords or SEO.

Niche business are still very effective. The name should probably be changed from niche business to "clever businesses". A clever product or service will always sell because people are captivated by how different it is.

I remember seeing the website "Ship Your Enemies Glitter" up for sale on Flippa. Of course it sold for a great amount of money. That was a clever, unique, and fun idea that people enjoyed and wanted to be a part of. Now THAT is the true definition of a niche business. There were copycats afterwards, but the leader had already been established. The copycats couldn't really compete. They just simply fell into the "knockoff" category.

It's really hard to compete against a niche business of it's uniqueness. So many auction sites have come up in the last decade, but none have been able to compete or surpass the success of eBay. The company is pretty much on it's last legs, but there still has yet to be another auction company that can compete.

Steve Dawson likes this.
  18. Steve Dawson

Yes, clever businesses, thats got a nice ring to it. The ship your enemies glitter idea was a great one, carried out with perfect timing. My favourite business success story comes from a few years back. A Gentleman from somewhere in America bought a large section of the Berlin Wall after it came down. He sold small pieces of it as souveniers for people to put on their mantleplace as a momento to the fall of communism. What a fantastic idea, he made his first million within months. While writing this, I tried to find his name, but there are so many people doing exactly the same thing now that I couldn't track down the man who thought of it first. Originality in an idea will always be valuable and you have to move fast, as soon as you're making money from something, there'll be a thousand others trying to cut into your income.

Kathryn M. likes this.
  19. Lex

Lex Entrepreneur

I do think SEO is important, but not to the extent it is manipulated where the title bears no relevance to the actual article or webpage. Unfortunately search engines don't always catch them and it is based on hits and the first few keywords.

I know that content writers are instructed to insert a number of keywords in articles, but search engines are getting cleverer and pick up on them. In addition if a site has had no posts, then despite the keywords the rating maybe lower depending on which search engine is used.

I set up a new blog recently and used a variation of names to see which one got more hits and interest with the same content. The most popular one was more of a phrase, even though the keywords were nearly identical and I got three followers within the hour.

20. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M. Entrepreneur

I agree. The title:

"How To Develop A Social Media Strategy That Won't Fail"

is more likely to get clicked on, opposed to a keyword title such as:

"Develop Social Media Strategy"

Some content developers/writers forget how things will sound to the viewer. Content should be written in the way the target market talks. Especially the headline of the content. If you can't get them to click on the headline, then there's no point in the rest of your content.

The first headline I wrote above is pure click bait, but it is written in plain English, and it will get clicks. If the content under that headline actually shows the reader a legitimate fail proof social media method, then even better. The viewer may actually stick around to see what other content you have.