BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Selling Physical Items Internationally

Discussion in 'General Business and Entrepreneurship' started by Nikita, Mar 18, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Nikita

Nikita Entrepreneur

I've been thinking of starting to sell locally made shoes internationally. We have a lot of good shoemakers that make long lasting shoes in my area and I thought I could do well taking advantage of that resource but I don't know where I'd start. I was thinking that I could just do my first few transactions straight up without having to establish myself as a business first just to test it out. I don't know how comfortable I am giving out my full name and address to people overseas though. Anyone here with any experience they can share? Any tips on selling items of this size internationally?

T J Tutor likes this.

2. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

I'm also thinking of selling physical items but was thinking of using dropshippers as the "middle men." I'd find the customers, send the order to the dropshippers and the customers would get what they paid for.

For the business you are thinking of starting you could start an eCommerce site and list the shoes you want to sell. Start small. Just a few pairs to gauge how profitable the business can be.

All the best!

3. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

Selling an item online without a secure platform and experience is a recipe for failure. The initiative will be replete with pitfalls. I would advise you to use Shopify, an e-commerce store that is fast, easy and highly marketable. It offers customers the convenience of instant purchases from their desktop, tablet or mobile phone. They also handle order processing, inventory management and customer tracking on your behalf. Delivery can be done directly to the customers' doorstep.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Entrepreneur

I will be honest that seems like a venture that I am glad that I get to avoid. It sounds like a big headache, but I am betting that it is a lot better than it was even a couple of years ago. Dealing with shipping rates and currency exchanges and all of that is something that I do not find interest in, although if it means more money in my pocket then my attitude might change a bit.

5. Bonyi

Bonyi Entrepreneur

My advice would be for you to start locally first and get established. See how your shoes are taken locally first. know what your customers in the local market are saying about your product before going to the international market. When the consumption in the local market is satisfactory, your business will naturally go global or international without much effort on your part. Concentrate on the local market first.

6. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

With the precaution of being doubtful in giving your real name and address, I don't think it is a good idea to continue with your business plan. I'd say you stick to an offline business which is more effective since your products, as you portray it to be, are good in quality. An online business is one for the adventurous and daring because you would encounter all kinds of people.

Just to give you a short orientation, the online store where I buy pet supplies started with a simple online store. She uses Facebook as her main office where buyers can see the pictures of her products. Upon ordering, the requirement is for the buyer to deposit money to her bank account - real name and address is obviously indicated. And it works for her because she is guaranteed to receive the payment first before she sends the parcel for delivery.

7. jewelraz

jewelraz Entrepreneur

Do you have any alternative plan? Are you working alone? If you are working alone you might not see a good result at the end. I mean your thinking is quite big but how big is your team?

8. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Well, it all starts with a plan. have you developed a short term and a long term plan?

I suggest you write out an outline of what needs to be accomplished to reach your immediate goals and another for your long term goals, then address each one at a time until they are complete. You will start to get a better picture of viability this way. As your goals are reached, a picture of the viability will begin to form.

This is how all businesses are established, through research, goals, and pursuit of market study. You have to get hte process started in order to validate the prospect of the business.