BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Scariest horror movies

Discussion in 'Arts and Entertainment' started by Sora, Feb 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Sora

Sora Entrepreneur

It isn't really scary when ghosts and ghouls keep popping in and out of the screen such as in The Exorcist. I know this timeless film makes it to almost all lists of horror movies but honestly, barring the fact that it is based on a real incident which is frightening in itself, the movie doesn't do much to add chills to my bones. Not that I don't scare easily, but plain gore and physical appearances of devils just doesn't do it for me. So I'll talk about 4 movies which in my humble opinion are worth giving a shot.

1. Ju-On (part 1)
    I know it makes little sense to include The Grudge after dismissing on-screen appearances of "scary ghosts" but the Japanese original version of the first film in this horror movie franchise has some of the most well crafted and perfectly timed jump scares I have ever seen in a scary movie!

2. Pulse
    This movie takes the cake for creating the most suffocating and spine-chilling atmosphere ever! Though the storyline doesn't have very much to account for, the constant static like sound at the back simply does not let you breathe out and relax. The pauses, the minute attention to movements, all of it help in building up an atmosphere that will definitely make you uncomfortable.

3. [Rec] - 2
    This Spanish horror flick makes your discomfort level very real. Because this is not about ghosts. It is about human beings. People who have succumbed to a frightening illness after being exposed to a rare and deadly virus. It is scary because such a thing is very much within the realm of possibility.

4. The Descent - 1 (Uncut version)
    I found this to be more in the genre of a psychological thriller than a horror movie. The story is about what happens when you're stuck in a place with increasingly fading hope of escape; how your own friends unwittingly end up massacring you. The twist in the plot (in the uncut version) - and I will not divulge that here - is what will take your peace away completely.

5. What would you say could take the fifth place?

2. harpazo22

harpazo22 Entrepreneur

Horror movies are pretty cliche and predictable. They're all the same and there's not a lot of room to play with when making a horror movie. But I'm not sure what could take 5th place. I don't remember a really scary movie I've seen, it's been a long time.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Entrepreneur

I would rank the movie, "Sinister" as the fifth scariest movie. It was pretty disturbing, and really morbid.

4. Novelangel

Novelangel Entrepreneur

I will go out on a limb here and rank a very old film as number 5. I think the movie was made either in the late 50's or early 60's and it was filmed entirely in black and white. It's the original version of Haunted. This movie contains no visible ghouls, demons, ghosts, or other surprises. It builds suspense and chills simply by using a freakingly scary soundtrack. You can HEAR the monsters in the house but never see them and to me, that makes more sense as we tend to get a bit jaded when we see too much. I literally had to pull my hands away from my face several times as I watched this film, it was that good. :)

5. Vinaya.Ghimire

Vinaya.Ghimire Entrepreneur

Here is a list of horror movies that I found very terrifying
    The Omen
    The Exorcist
    Grudge
    A Tale of Two Sisiter (Korean)
    The Ring (Japanese.

6. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

I try and avoid horror movies at all costs, I just hate jump scares and not being able to sleep for weeks after watching one. Once in a while, I make the stupid decision to watch one with friends and the scariest one I have ever watched was, The grudge, the Japanese version.
    It was freaky, and it unsettled me for weeks.

7. acheno84

acheno84 Entrepreneur

Considering about 70% of my DVD collection is made of horror movies, it would be hard to choose one just one. I really enjoy Rob Zombie's style of movie, only because there are some weird people out there in this world that might be able to pull something like that off. The Exorcist scared me for sure, and Sinister was great as well. I personally enjoyed Annabelle, simply because it's based on true events to an extent. The doll was a Raggedy Ann doll in reality. I think the ones that are based on true events are the most terrifying since someone endured a degree of those events. Wild.

8. azgold

azgold Moderator Entrepreneur

Black Christmas! It was made with almost no money, filmed at the University of Toronto, by actors who had to supply their own clothes. It was made in the 70s, I think and still scares the crap out of me!

9. FreelancingQueen

FreelancingQueen Entrepreneur

I prefer the older horror flicks myself. I also think that The Omen, The Exorcist and The Grudge are some of the scariest movies ever. I also have always loved all the earlier Halloween movies as well.

azgold likes this.
  10. azgold

Oh yeah, we could watch movies together! These are classics!

11. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

When I was a kid, six to ten, I loved the Saturday afternoon matinees on TV with the monster movies like Them, The Triffids, The Fly, Mothra, Godzilla, etc.

Later in life, my late teens and twenties, I began watching stuff like the Exorcist, the remake of the Thing, Alien, etc.

Now, of course, the zombie thing has taken over.

12. azgold

Yes!

The Japanese Godzilla films mesmerized me as a kid, I loved them. A few years ago, I wrote an article about Godzilla. :)

I like the original 'The Fly' with Vincent Price the best. As opposed to the remake with Jeff Goldblum and Gena Davis. I think I've seen every movie that Vincent Price has been in - all the Edgar Allen Poe; the Dr. Phibes movies.

Them, described by a younger friend as fun fur ants. :D She didn't understand '50s horror.

By the way, another great one - The Blob - with Steve McQueen. Also, the 80s remake of The Thing. Love them both.

So many favourites, so little time!

I'm so happy that someone invented moving pictures. :)

T J Tutor likes this.