BizWarriors Forum Is a Free Entrepreneur, Business and Start Up Forum

Connect With Other Entrepreneurs Online Today!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Share This Page

1. Sarthak

Sarthak Business Owner Entrepreneur

How would you encourage people to do an online survey (5-8 minutes) to help get feedback for a start-up product/service?

T J Tutor likes this.

2. Alaine

Alaine Entrepreneur

Most people will only do something if they are getting a reward. It doesn't have to be money though most would love that.

There are lots of free digital products which you can give away on your site. Find one such free product [in your niche] which you are certain your site visitors will find useful and inform them that first 20 or so people who take the survey will be getting a reward — the free product. Injecting a sense of urgency into it could motivate some people to take the survey.

3. scotbiddick

scotbiddick Entrepreneur

A rewards system would be nice. Like credit points?

4. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Entrepreneur

Well, five to eight minutes to take a survey is nearly impossible to get people to complete when you already have a well developed relationship with them. It is completely impossible to get people you don't know, or don't know you, to complete something that takes them that long.

The only substantive way to get feedback for a product or service is through hands on experience with focus groups. You have to get groups of different demographics to try the product or service in return for feedback. This identifies issues with the product or service and identifies the demographics that will respond to purchasing a product or service.

5. Corazon

Corazon Entrepreneur

I have received several of those product surveys through private message in Facebook. Honestly, I never responded to any of them because for me, it is a waste of time. My first question for situations like that is - what's in it for me? I had been interviewed once in a supermarket about a product survey. And since I was waiting for someone so I relented. After the interview, the interviewer handed me a bag of goodies as a sort of token. Maybe if the online survey is like that - a treat or something for the benefit of the interviewee - then you have a deal.

6. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Entrepreneur

True, I would not take a free survey unless I knew it was for charity or an organization that desperately needs it, I value my time so I would choose not to spend ten minutes on a survey that does not reward me.

Corazon likes this.
  7. jona

jona Entrepreneur

There is a type of catch 22 situation here: if you offer a reward you will get a lot of people answering you survey but maybe the quality of the answers are going to be low or not very trustworthy since a lot of people are going to be filling the thing just for the compensation without much thought of what they are doing. If you don't offer anything then you will get fewer responses but maybe you want the responses from people that actually took the time to fill up a survey because they wanted to and not because they were going to be compensated because this is the people that are filling the thing because they have something to say.

Whatever you do make sure the survey is SHORT, don't go overboard because some people go insane with surveys that could take you like 40 minutes to fill.

8. Valerie

Valerie Entrepreneur

Someone already said it, but rewards are about the only way to get people to do anything like a survey. Granted 5-8 minutes isn't long. I've done surveys on products that take 40 minutes (and loathed every second). But the payout for my time spent was decent.

So, if you offered coupons or cashback or something, people would probably take the bait.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Entrepreneur

With online surveys it's very hard to get people to participate, even if you DO have a reward for them at the end of it, as a lot of these rewards turn out to be scams anyway.

Depending on what information you're going to require, maybe you can make the survey short, and when I say short, I mean one page, 5 questions and then done. You've got more chance of people doing that, than if they see a survey saying page 1 of 8!

10. remnant

remnant Entrepreneur

I suppose an online survey can be of any duration of time depending on the level of detail it entails. However, most surveys are paid and some people night fill it favourably obfuscating crucial information the survey is intended to gleam from the participants. The best way to carry out such a survey is through such sites as CPA Lead.

11. techbat

techbat Entrepreneur

Survey time (5-8 minutes) you have mentioned is too high and try to reduce it up to 3-4 minutes. You can ask for survey feedback in social channels while offering them a deal or credit points to increase interest of people.

12. arungoyal

arungoyal Entrepreneur

Agree with @techbat, Visitor usually ignore surveys so (5-8 minutes) is too long time to keep visitor engaged, Even 3-4 minutes suggested by techbat is not a short timeline. If you can't reduce it then I would suggest you to adopt paid modal.